Menu

Does this sound like arthritis?

Sometimes my left leg joint (?) - the very top of my leg in front or on the outside - feels like it is "out of joint". It usually occurs if I've been sitting for a while and stand up, or even lying in one position and then try to bend my leg. It's a fairly sharp pain, but after a small amount of movement, the pain goes away. It comes and goes, but seems to be worse if I've eaten lots of sweets.

Sometimes my left leg joint (?) - the very top of my leg in front or on the outside - feels like it is "out of joint". It usually occurs if I've been sitting for a while and stand up, or even lying in one position and then try to bend my leg. It's a fairly sharp pain, but after a small amount of movement, the pain goes away. It comes and goes, but seems to be worse if I've eaten lots of sweets.

Does it get hot? If so, could it be gout? It doesn't sound like regular arthritis to me at all.

I don't know about the sweets, but I will say that it *could* be degenerative arthritis.

It sounds similar to what happens to my knees. My cartilage slips out of place, scraping my bones together. It usually slips back fairly quickly, but causes more damage each time.

I went to the ER one night, about 7 years ago now, because it wasn't slipping back into place and I was in a lot of pain. I got to see the x-ray of my left leg, and could see all the damage that had been happening since I was a teenager. Ick!

See someone! In my case, there isn't much I can do other than bracing/wrapping when needed, and considering surgery. I won't consider surgery while I still have a toddler/preschooler running around.

I try to remember to take supplements, but I'm really bad about it. Plus, I'm just pessimistic. My father had this, my younger sisters is showing signs of it, and I feel like I can't fight the genes!

Hmmm - doesn't sound like gout. Bursitis maybe. Today I'm not having any pain at all, although yesterday was pretty bad.:confused: The degenerative arthritis is a possibility - I'll look into it. It seems to have started gradually after the birth of my last (6th) baby a year ago, although during my last few pregnancies I've struggled with hip pain towards the end.

Just what I need - hip surgery. My 77yo MIL has been talking about getting hip surgery. Maybe we could be hospital roomies :lol:.