Menu

WWYD for 7th grade literature?

Rachel in KY

So I'm starting the what-am-I-going-to-do-next-year? spasming. I'm fairly well set with my regular curricula choices, but want to add a literary study.

Ds is above grade level, but not a genius. He's an excellent reader, natural spelling, and catches on to concepts quickly when his head's not in the clouds. For pleasure reading, he prefers fantasy: HP, Inkheart series, Artemis Fowl, Eragon, etc. While I have no issue with this because I just love to have him read, it's past time to introduce him to other stuff.

I've been reading good things about Lightning Literature and was leaning toward that till a friend just told me about Skills for Literature Analysis by Stobaugh. While I like the scope and sequence Stobaugh offers, I think a lighter approach would be a better start for us. THEN this same friend informed me that I was welcome to use her BJU Explorations in Literature that her 7th grade ds just finished.

What to do, what to do? Pay for LL or Stobaugh, or do free BJ? I'm considering doing the BJ for half the year, and finishing the year with the next BJ installment, Excursions in Literature. Then we can move on to whatever for 8th grade.

Whatcha think?

Rachel, I'm not familiar with BJU Literature and free is often but not always a good price. My hunch is that if you and your child enjoy Sonlight for history than you would probably enjoy Lightning Lit. Here is a recent thread where Lori D. gives a great review of the program. Also, if your child enjoys fantasy literature, you can't beat the Lord of the Rings program mentioned. Middle school is such an exciting time to study literature with your student. Their skills are growing by leaps and bounds and they get so excited when the light bulb turns on. Best wishes for a great year.

. I've been reading good things about Lightning Literature and was leaning toward that till a friend just told me about Skills for Literature Analysis by Stobaugh. While I like the scope and sequence Stobaugh offers, I think a lighter approach would be a better start for us. THEN this same friend informed me that I was welcome to use her BJU Explorations in Literature that her 7th grade ds just finished.

Whatcha think?

I am going through the same problem. I am going to do both of these. I am doing the Stobaugh but ONLY the literature portions (not all the essays or anything) And I am also doing Lightning Lit 7 and Figuratively speaking.

Figuratively Speaking

I just looked at the sample - is this a workbook? Would I need to get two copies if I had two kids using it at the same time?

It is a workbook, you could get 2, have them write their answers on another piece of paper or make copies if you have a copy machine. I am going to have her write her answers on another piece of paper.

I've used both BJU lit 7 and LL 7 and Figuratively Speaking.

LL 7 is a good overall look at lit analysis. We learned a great deal from it. But, we did have a problem with some of the book selections. Dd hated Alice in Wonderland. She slugged through Helen Keller and got completely bogged down in All Creatures Great and Small. If your dc likes the books in LL 7, then it should be a very successful year.

I did NOT like BJU 7 at all. I did not like the reading selections. I did not like the teaching. I did not like the exercises. It seemed like BJU was making a lit sample fit the discussion, not the other way around. Most of the stories were about main characters over coming some tragedy or obstacle. Many were about missionaries or christians being killed or persecuted for their faith. I found it gloomy. Many of the questions were standard recall questions rather than analysis questions. Many of the examples of literary technique were IMHO a stretch.

We used Figuratively Speaking with Walch Poetry and Prose Toolbox. Both are great references. I would have liked more examples of literary techniques in Figuratively Speaking, but I cannot say that was drawback or the book was lacking. The 2 books together were a solid combination. We especially enjoyed the poetry section in the Walch book.

HTH

I just looked at the sample - is this a workbook? Would I need to get two copies if I had two kids using it at the same time?

I have an all-in-one printer so I just make copies. If you told me I could only have around $15 or less for a literature program, I would buy this book, borrow TWTM from the library (if I didn't own it, which I do!) for discussion questions and call it good. Of course I would also have to get our reading material from the library as well. The book is really an indispensable tool that covers: 8 terms under figurative language, 10 terms under poetic language, and 12 literary techniques.

Go for it! You won't be sorry! Trust me...I use MCT.:D

Edited to add: Another kind board member lent me the Poetry and Prose Handbook and I would agree that it is an excellent tool. In fact, I have been happy with nearly everything I have purchased from Walch. We used Mythology: A Teaching Unit to go with our ancient history this year.

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition