Menu

Would you start Rod and Staff English with a 12 year old?

Guest Lorna

Guest Lorna

Our daughter is a strong writer; she has read four to five hours daily from the age of four and it shows in her writing.

We use an English programme fairly light on grammar and no diagramming. I have used no formal writing programme with her yet either; well, we have used Writing Strands but it seems to 'dumb-down' her more sophisticated writing and she was unimpressed (perhaps level 5 is too low for her - or I should simply try again).

I would like an efficient programme that got her up-to-speed with grammar and gave her clear instructions on the write and wrongs of writing, without any busy work. Does anyone has any ideas that would fit with 'The Well Trained Mind' aims?

I think my son, aged 10, would do well with a clear grammar programme too. He is scientifically minded and likes very clear instructions. What level would be good for him to start at in 'Rod and Staff'?.

Many thanks for your advice.

I'm glad MIchelle had the correct level to give to you! R&S is a very thorough English program and would fill in what your daughter might be missing as far as diagraming and the general grammatical underpinnings of English. As far as her writing is concerned, if she finds Writing Strands confining and is already an accomplished writer, I'd look for another program to continue to improve her already excellent skills.

We used R&S for only a short while; I really liked it, but we were already well into Abeka grammar and my daughters seemed to prefer that, and since Abeka's grammar is still very good, we continued on. Still, I wish I'd known about R&S early on, and then we probably would have done that!

(BTW, I visited your blog---Denmark looks beautiful! I love all the photos of the tulips and other flowers!)

Our daughter is a strong writer; she has read four to five hours daily from the age of four and it shows in her writing.

We use an English programme fairly light on grammar and no diagramming. I have used no formal writing programme with her yet either; well, we have used Writing Strands but it seems to 'dumb-down' her more sophisticated writing and she was unimpressed (perhaps level 5 is too low for her - or I should simply try again).

I would like an efficient programme that got her up-to-speed with grammar and gave her clear instructions on the write and wrongs of writing, without any busy work. Does anyone has any ideas that would fit with 'The Well Trained Mind' aims?

I think my son, aged 10, would do well with a clear grammar programme too. He is scientifically minded and likes very clear instructions. What level would be good for him to start at in 'Rod and Staff'?.

Many thanks for your advice.

It's ok that she gets instruction in US grammar, though, right? Because it is, of course, very American in its usage.

Guest Lorna

Is the grammar so different in America?

I was looking for something to teach diagramming primarily. I haven't seen any grammar programme for a British student which covers this. I am convinced by the idea that it will help with writing skills and be certain that the terms of grammar are understood.

I am very used to checking for American spellings, since we use 'Spelling Workout'.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.

Is the grammar so different in America?

I was looking for something to teach diagramming primarily. I haven't seen any grammar programme for a British student which covers this. I am convinced by the idea that it will help with writing skills and be certain that the terms of grammar are understood.

I am very used to checking for American spellings, since we use 'Spelling Workout'.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.

Comma usage is quite different.

I understand why you'd want the diagramming, though.

I started an 11 y/o dd in R&S 6 knowing only parts of speech. R&S grammar is something I'll never regret having done with dd, tedious as it could be from time to time.

Lorna,

I've been impressed with the little book, The Lively Art of Writing. It's a slim paperback that we are using with Write@Home, an online program we are using for essay writing. I'm sure it's available on Amazon for very little, and if nothing else, would be a good resource.

Guest Lorna
I found Abeka to be very American, so American in fact that I couldn't use it, I have no problem with Rod And Staff. it seems to be pretty universal in it's grammar. Very Bible oriented in all lessons.

MelissaL

Thank you for all your help everyone!

Lorna

I love Rod & Staff. I think that TWTM recommends switching after 5th grade to Abeka, but I am wanting to continue with R&S b/c I like it so much. My son really benefits from the thoroughness of R&S. He has always been about 1 year behind his peers since he was a little guy. He is in 7th grade now and finishing R&S 5. I don't want to take over this thread with my question, but am wondering what others think about continuing with R&S instead of following TWTM's suggestion of switching to Abeka. Also, has anyone used R&S for higher than 6th grade?

I love Rod & Staff. I think that TWTM recommends switching after 5th grade to Abeka, but I am wanting to continue with R&S b/c I like it so much. My son really benefits from the thoroughness of R&S. He has always been about 1 year behind his peers since he was a little guy. He is in 7th grade now and finishing R&S 5. I don't want to take over this thread with my question, but am wondering what others think about continuing with R&S instead of following TWTM's suggestion of switching to Abeka. Also, has anyone used R&S for higher than 6th grade?

I taught Abeka (9th, whatever that is called in Abeka-speak -- A? B?) in the classroom, and I will tell you that I wouldn't switch from R&S to Abeka for love nor money. Dd did 6-8, and her understanding of grammar makes her life much easier than her peers' both in her English (lit and rhetoric) class and Latin II. R&S is something she appreciates having done; she says so every once in a while, which to me is rather remarkable seeing as she's only 15.

ITA with Sandy -- finish up R&S 8 and call it done. I don't think you'll regret going with your gut instinct and sticking with it.