Menu

RSO, Real Science Odessy

ChrissySC

We are currently using the Chemistry volume and my kids and I both like it. I think it is very well put together and definitely makes chemistry accessible to kids. My son is 10 and my daughter is 8. My son understands everything instantly; my daughter is a bit slower, but still gets it. The experiments are mostly very simple, but they do teach the basics of experimental procedure. When we are through with this volume, just for fun over the summer we are going to do some of the experiments in Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. My kids love science experiments, so they are looking forward to doing these over the summer to explore the experimental side of chemistry more in depth.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

Did you find the content comprehensive?

For grammar stage, yes. The text uses actual terminolgy, yet explains things in an easy to understand way. If you get books from the suggested reading list (or other topic books) from the library it fleshes it out more.

I like to also look at the books used in other science programs to see if I can find those at my library. I like to look at NOEOs book selection.

We are using RSO Life this year with a 4th grader and a 1st grader--in fact we'll be done in another week or two. My overall impression is that it would be ideal at about 2nd grade. My first grader does fine with it, but I also need to help her some. It does not have enough depth for my 4th grader. This is her second pass through biology and she could have used a course that covered more, did more, went into more depth and detail, etc. It was very easy for her.

I like that RSO has activities each week--usually 2 labs per week. We were coming from Noeo which did not have regularly scheduled activities. I really missed the reading from Noeo. I would not consider RSO complete without additional books from the library.

We are using RSO Life this year with a 4th grader and a 1st grader--in fact we'll be done in another week or two. My overall impression is that it would be ideal at about 2nd grade. My first grader does fine with it, but I also need to help her some. It does not have enough depth for my 4th grader. This is her second pass through biology and she could have used a course that covered more, did more, went into more depth and detail, etc. It was very easy for her.

I like that RSO has activities each week--usually 2 labs per week. We were coming from Noeo which did not have regularly scheduled activities. I really missed the reading from Noeo. I would not consider RSO complete without additional books from the library.

Yes, I did noeo before as well and missed the reading. That's why I use the noeo books as well. So I like the activities in RSO and the books in Noeo. :) It's easy to combine the books from NOEO to RSO.

I can see if it is a child's second pass through a subject area that RSO would be too light. I can't wait to see the level 2 coming out this fall.

We used Life (1st) and Earth (2nd) and enjoyed both. I did add in supplemental reading for both and an additional activity book for the human body part of Life. It was a very fun time and my dd has retained a lot of it. I would have liked to use the Chemistry, but it came out too late for us. I'm looking forward to seeing the level 2 biology.

We used life last year with a 2nd and a 3rd grader. I had to help ds(2nd) with some of the writing but they grasped the concepts. WHen we did the pillbugs chapter we could not find any but 3 mos. later we found some and the remembered enough to have fun looking at the bug and seeing what the book had talked about. We are using Chemistry this year for 3/4. DD is getting the concepts faster but ds is able to follow along with a little more explanation and do most of the writing himself. It is great for grammar stage, needs a lot added for logic stage.

I loved R.E.A.L. Science. WE have used both Life and Earth, but not chemistry. Planning to do physics this year first, but the people at Pandia say they won't have their Physics out until next year probably.

I always combine with books from the library which are easy to find, and I never go in order of subject. I know they say you should, but we pick and choose what works for us at the time. My only issue has been that I don't always have the supplies for experiments (so many things necessary). So we are going to try Noeo Physics this year instead, still supplementing with library books. I just don't want to have to hunt down all the supplies this time. But if they had their physics out I would definitely be buying it to supplement. The kids have loved so many of the labs.

Good luck.