Menu

dessert ideas?

Do you have a dessert after every lunch and dinner? What sort of things do you serve? I didn't grow up having desserts very often, but my husband grew up with at least cookies...and so we have fallen into that trap. Now I want to escape, but not all together, so I am looking for some ideas that would be dessert, but not so sugary or full of empty calories. Any thoughts for me??

I'm a huge dessert fan and the kids like to have dessert too so I have a few easy go to items:

I have a bunch of frozen cookie dough in the freezer ready to just go into the oven. Serve hot with a glass of ice cold milk.

I also have a little box with candy leftover from the holidays (mainly Halloween) that the kids can grab a small candy out of for a treat once in a while.

Fresh fruit with a bit of chocolate syrup is easy too. Strawberries are in season so last night we had strawberries with just a bit of chocolate syrup over them.

Once a week I do make a special dessert of some sort. Either cookie bars, a pie, a new type of cookie, banana bread, or something like that and we can all eat on the for a few days. I figure if I'm feeding them lots of fruit and veggies, lean meats, and high fiber grains that we can splurge and have a hundred empty calories three nights a week.

Right now I'm counting my calories though so I torture myself by making these things for the kids but not for myself.

I love, love, love dessert. I also love to bake, thank goodness. Brownies are my favorite after dinner treat, maybe 3 times a week. Pudding pies are fun and you can throw fruit ontop or under. Pies are fun, ice cream is always a standby here. Cupcakes or cuppies are another of my favorites to make, I don't think I make the same ones twice. Have fun on your dessert adventure.:001_smile::001_smile:

Custard, berries and cream, apple crisp, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, baked apples (my mother served them fairly warm with a dribble of cream over the top.). I like a half a grapefruit well prepped for easy eating, a good sprinkle of cinn sugar and then pop under the broiler. Yum.

Apple crisp or fruit crisp

Custard or creme brulee' (I just caramelized the tops of the last two from Easter dessert for tonight)

Homemade pudding

Fruit cobbler

I also (like mentioned below) keep frozen cookie dough balls in the freezer for popping into the oven as desired...chocolate chip, oatmeal/raisin...