Menu

Discovery Education streaming plus

I have acquired access to this amazing bundle of fun!! I am overwhelmed though--I just do not know where to start--there is sooooooooooo much to view!! I just need a launching pad--please give me some of your faves for a 4th grader!

Thanks for your help!:001_smile:

We use it mainly for history (I can find a video to go with just about anything in SOTW ancients), but we also love watching Peep and the Big Wide World, Liberty's Kids, and the Magic Schoolbus on there too. Pretty much anytime someone shows an interest, we try to look it up via Discovery Streaming. We recently watched a video on silkworms and how they're used to make silk (which actually totally bummed me out--I didn't know how that worked).

I've heard others discuss how awesome the Spanish instruction videos are, and we've watched some of the Planet Earth series on there. If you do some searching on the curriculum board, you should find some threads on this very subject--what to watch!

HTH :D

ETA: Oh! Also, they have some of best Discovery series on there too--How It's Made, Mythbusters, etc. DD7 loves Cyberchase too.

Edited by melissel

:lurk5:

I'm gonna buy it this summer (so my 1 year subscription will last a whole school year) and I can't wait! I know we will use it mostly for Spanish class, but I am very excited about the science and history stuff on there as well. I will look forward to what everyone reports!

If you buy, be sure to check out the deal on http://www.homeschoolbuyerscoop.com

Their deal is great!

Our fave videos are: the Spanish language program, Bill Nye, Math Mansion. When the kids were younger the liked the Animated Classics. Now we like to coordinate supporting videos with our science and history. We are also still supplementing our FLVS Spanish with Videos too. We love Unitedstreaming! One of the best things we buy every year!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Its free if you Live in Georgia.

Access to these educational videos normally costs a

homeschooling household $199 per school year. But, thanks to a

partnership between Georgia Public Broadcasting and Discovery

Education, this video streaming service is available to us at no

charge! Georgia Public Broadcasting has purchased a subscription for

all teachers in Georgia and I've been told by GPB that they definitely

plan to continue paying for this service beyond the current school year.

IN Order to receive the pass code for United streaming you must send

the following information:

1. A statement that you would like a passcode to access the GPB video

streaming content

2. A copy of your declaration of intent to homeschool

3. Your name, address, phone number and email address

Send information to:

Jascenda Pasley

Georgia Public Broadcasting Education

260 14th Street NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

OR Fax infromtation to:

attention Jascenda Pasley 404-685-2556.

We use it topically. When we come to the end of a unit, say on plant classification, I search US for "plant classification," and choose one or some of the videos.

We recently finished a unit of Africa, and I was going to choose one video to sum up our study. But I ran into this nifty series called Africa's Child, and we just can't stop watching. :)

Same with literature. We're studying Mark Twain right now. I haven't checked, but I'm sure US will provide us with some additional material.

Also, it is great for special projects. In his enrichment class, my son was assigned to write a report on the Convention of 18??. (I've forgotten the date.) Sure enough, we found enough in US to get the project done. Same thing last year when he had to do a special project on deciduous forests.

Oh, and we've been using Elementary Spanish for 6 years.

It's just a great resource. :)