Menu

TOG Student Organization

Tracy

I just bought TOG to use with my oldest dd who will be LG next year. She is the kind of child that needs to know what is happening and when. She also wants to go back and remember everything that she has done. And since she really loves the TOG topics (history, literature, geography), I anticipate that this is going to be particularly so with this program. So I really have two questions:

• Do you have any advice about organizing what she will be doing from week to week and day to day?
  • Do you have any ideas about keeping a record of what she has done that will help her look back on it later?

Thanks,

Tracy

For the looking back...lapbooks are great for that age! Notebooking is also good. Just google either of them if you are not familiar with the idea and you will see a ton of info on them.

For the organizing I would do the parent/child meeting each week like TOG talks about. In that meeting you are supposed to set up the next weeks schedule of what you agree to accomplish. You put down things you want done, she can add in crafts and stuff that she is interested in etc.

Lapbooks and notebooking, we do both although I must admit lapbooking has fallen by the wayside. I make at least one copy sheet a week, a list of "Things to Know," coloring pages, etc. I haven't done a good job of keeping up with my blog, but you can get an idea of what I mean here.

Lapbooks and notebooking, we do both although I must admit lapbooking has fallen by the wayside. I make at least one copy sheet a week, a list of "Things to Know," coloring pages, etc. I haven't done a good job of keeping up with my blog, but you can get an idea of what I mean here.

Lapbooks seem like a great idea, but I know from my recent attempt at making file folder games that lapbooking is eventually going to go by the wayside because the making of them is just so onerous. (My dd is only 5yo, so she wouldn't be able to do them on her own.)

Where do you get your coloring pages?

Tracy

I don't do a meeting to decide what we will cover. I do it myself. Occasionally I'll ask for an opinion about two choices I am considering. I just think my dd is too young to be able to take into consideration all the things we need to accomplish each week. Our TOG work varies depending on our other subjects and outside activities for the week.

Generally our LG week looks something like this...

Mon: Read TOG intro to the week for all levels.

Mon- Wed: Reading lit and history selections together and discussing. Sometimes the reading stretches into the rest of the week especially if we have a family read aloud going on. (We don't do an end of the week meeting, we discuss as we read--but she sometimes sit in on DS's dialectic meeting--though TOG doesn't recommend it.)

Wed or Thurs: Geography & map for notebook

Fri: notebook page, sometimes an activity or related art project

Her notebook pages and maps give her a nice record of what she has learned and the schedule gives her some security and predictability. We may try lapbooking next year, but I'm afraid it may exhaust us. I like the simplicity of notebook pages.

You could develop a general schedule to suit your needs like the one I posted above. Then you could type it and put it in a page protector at the front of your dd notebook so she will know what to expect. Then the notebook can be a record of her studies. There are several TOG blogs that show ways to set up student notebooks ahead of time possibly during the summer. You could take a look at those to get ideas. I'll try to dig up my links and post them later.

HTH

Shannon

There are several TOG blogs that show ways to set up student notebooks ahead of time possibly during the summer. You could take a look at those to get ideas. I'll try to dig up my links and post them later.

HTH

Shannon

That would be great, Shannon. Thanks!

Tracy

Here are the ones I have bookmarked. I know there are more. Maybe another post should be started asking all TOG bloggers to post links for their blogs. Then we could bookmark them.

These are the two I could find quickly.

One is Karenciavo's blog- she does a nice job of explaining how to cut and paste from the Loom to make pages for workbooks, however I only do this for my dialectic level ds, I keep things simpler for my LG dd.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/karenciavo/TOG%2BWorkbooks/

Here is another one...

http://watersideliving.blogspot.com/2008/06/tog-planning.html

At least you can get ideas about what others are doing.

HTH

Shannon