Menu

Can someone explain EPGY to me?

Over the years since I've been on this board, I've seen EPGY mentioned several times but have always glossed over the posts because I just assumed it wasn't for us (mostly cost). However, now I'm starting to re-think priorities, goals, etc. and want to investigate it further. At this point I'm mostly interested in the math but would love to here any comments about their other programs as well. One of my main questions is if it is intended to be a full math program. In other words, if we do their math sequence does it cover all that we need to? That is not saying we may not supplement with other stuff (who doesn't:D) but would we have to? Also, are the math courses intended to be completed in a year or less? Are the classes on-line or are there texts to go along with them? Do the kids progress at their own pace or is there a set schedule?

Please, fill my head with knowledge about all things EPGY!

Thanks!

My daughter has taken two classes through CTY- and the younger years (her grades) subcontract to EPGY.

I like the online math courses for grades 5 and 6. (I can't speak about anything else.) There is lots of refresher if you don't get the answer the first few times. What I don't like is that if you don't understand it- if the explanation isn't clear- you are on your own unless you can email the instructor (which is what we do going throught CTY).

I am not a mathematical whiz, so if she doesn't understand- we are in trouble if I didn't have the teacher to go email.

I am concerned how much retention is set when you do online math courses. I let her use the calculator for more advanced multiplication and division problems because I know 1) she knows how to do it and 2) she gets it again from a different program in a written format.

There is a calendar and it shows exactly how much time was spent on it and how many problems were asked and answered correctly. I find this invaluable. She can't say "I did my math today for 30 minutes". Proof is in the pudding!

Overall, I'm pleased with EPGY and she will take another course next year.

You can access EPGY through the Individual program at EPGY, by contracting for access through CTY (through grade 6), and through the Open Enrollment program (OE), which is open to homeschoolers. I run a group with students from this board and another GT board under my homeschool. (This is an open option for others who wish to undertake it and receive approval from EPGY, criteria is available on the website.)

There are some differences in the three, the first two are more expensive than the third (OE) which only runs $135 a year, but, you are the instructor. I am the tech support and the contact with EPGY, I forward any problems I haven't been trained to solve, and there is a yahoo group where we support each other. In the Individual program and the CTY programs you contact your instructor through email and access their tech support directly.

Also in the first two options you can receive certificates of completion, where in the OE program you can print your reports but don't get a piece of paper from them. You do not have access to homework in the OE program.

You must submit your child's qualifying test scores or portfolio and be accepted to EPGY or CTY, you do not need to qualify for the OE program.

The children progress through the online program at their own pace, so how long it would take would depend entirely on your child. More information about EPGY in general is available here http://epgy.stanford.edu/overview/faq.html , although the role of the parent and the instructor information is for the individual program. It covers some of the questions you are asking directly.

More information on the OE program is found here http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/info.html

Hopefully that will get you started. :001_smile:

My daughter has taken two classes through CTY- and the younger years (her grades) subcontract to EPGY.

I like the online math courses for grades 5 and 6. (I can't speak about anything else.) There is lots of refresher if you don't get the answer the first few times. What I don't like is that if you don't understand it- if the explanation isn't clear- you are on your own unless you can email the instructor (which is what we do going throught CTY).

I am not a mathematical whiz, so if she doesn't understand- we are in trouble if I didn't have the teacher to go email.

I am concerned how much retention is set when you do online math courses. I let her use the calculator for more advanced multiplication and division problems because I know 1) she knows how to do it and 2) she gets it again from a different program in a written format.

There is a calendar and it shows exactly how much time was spent on it and how many problems were asked and answered correctly. I find this invaluable. She can't say "I did my math today for 30 minutes". Proof is in the pudding!

Overall, I'm pleased with EPGY and she will take another course next year.

Thanks for your input. Am I understanding correctly that you use another program in addition to the EPGY math? If so, do you match the topics up or just run the two programs on their own schedule?

Thanks!

You can access EPGY through the Individual program at EPGY, by contracting for access through CTY (through grade 6), and through the Open Enrollment program (OE), which is open to homeschoolers. I run a group with students from this board and another GT board under my homeschool. (This is an open option for others who wish to undertake it and receive approval from EPGY, criteria is available on the website.)

There are some differences in the three, the first two are more expensive than the third (OE) which only runs $135 a year, but, you are the instructor. I am the tech support and the contact with EPGY, I forward any problems I haven't been trained to solve, and there is a yahoo group where we support each other. In the Individual program and the CTY programs you contact your instructor through email and access their tech support directly.

Also in the first two options you can receive certificates of completion, where in the OE program you can print your reports but don't get a piece of paper from them. You do not have access to homework in the OE program.

You must submit your child's qualifying test scores or portfolio and be accepted to EPGY or CTY, you do not need to qualify for the OE program.

The children progress through the online program at their own pace, so how long it would take would depend entirely on your child. More information about EPGY in general is available here http://epgy.stanford.edu/overview/faq.html , although the role of the parent and the instructor information is for the individual program. It covers some of the questions you are asking directly.

More information on the OE program is found here http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/info.html

Thank you! This has been very helpful for me in understanding the logistics of how this program works. I was trying to read through old posts but getting confused about CTY, OE, etc. I think I have it all straight now. Also, thanks for directing me to the links with more information.

Thanks!

I currently have 120+ students in the group. I know of a large number who use the program to supplement PS programs and in addition to HS programs like SM, and others. There are also a large number of people who use EPGY exclusively, which is the way it was originally designed. I run two programs independent of each other unless a child is struggling with a particular topic on EPGY, then I may pull out more practice. EPGY does a good job of adding in strands that include more logic and statistics which you don't see in all programs.

Thanks for all of the details. I kept looking at the EPGY page and not seeing the OE info.

I currently have 120+ students in the group. I know of a large number who use the program to supplement PS programs and in addition to HS programs like SM, and others. There are also a large number of people who use EPGY exclusively, which is the way it was originally designed. I run two programs independent of each other unless a child is struggling with a particular topic on EPGY, then I may pull out more practice. EPGY does a good job of adding in strands that include more logic and statistics which you don't see in all programs.

Thanks for sharing how you use the math program.

Thanks!

Thanks for your input. Am I understanding correctly that you use another program in addition to the EPGY math? If so, do you match the topics up or just run the two programs on their own schedule?

Thanks!

She's in school full time. I think the schools math program is too easy so she does EPGY at home. When we weren't doing EPGY, we did Singapore math. I never tried to match topics. School math is school math, home math is home math. She does English through CTY at home as well.

I've been looking over the links you posted and now I'm intrigued by the LA program too. I looked at the OE page but wasn't clear if the $135 covers both the Math and LA program or if it is a $135 for each program for a total of $270?

Also, does anyone have any input on the LA program?

Thanks!

Hoagies' Gifted is a great site for gifted children and their parents, and several parents discuss their experiences with EGPY at http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/epgy.htm . EPGY has also been discussed at the Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ and on the TAGFAM (Families of the Talented & Gifted) mailing list http://www.tagfam.org/ .

• 1 year later...
Guest janeshen

I'd like to join a homeschool EGPY group. Where I can join?

Thanks very much. Jane

• 7 months later...
Guest blissfule
Hoagies' Gifted is a great site for gifted children and their parents, and several parents discuss their experiences with EGPY at http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/epgy.htm . EPGY has also been discussed at the Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ and on the TAGFAM (Families of the Talented & Gifted) mailing list http://www.tagfam.org/ .

Those are fantastic links - thank you!

I commented on EPGY on another Math thread today. This certainly doesn't answer all questions but here it is:

My ds had some slight fine-motor delay so writing out math problems was really a chore for him. We started with EPGY several years ago now and are quite happy with how it's worked for him. First off, the program is only a 20 minute session, you can increase that time as desired by adding another session or part-session to the day as he gets older. Because much of it is presented on screen, there is often less writing to deal with until you get to larger multiple digit work. The program is set up to not dwell or drill on things that the student "gets" quickly. It does respond with more work in subjects where there are more initial errors. There aren't lots of cutesy pictures or graphics - my ds disliked singapore for that reason. We did use MEP as some additional work and we did bounce through a saxon book for several months at one point with somewhat less drilling than that usually requires. In EPGY, the addition/subtraction and then multiplication/division tables are practiced with "Math Races" at the beginning of each session and are drilled until the student hits a certain level of competence and then moves up to races involving fractions and decimals. So the student is not held back from other concepts until the times tables are learned but they are part of the ongoing practice. He is now 10 years old and does two twenty minute sessions daily. Once in a while we repeat a session that was particularly new and tricky for him and once in a while I respond to some difficulty by doing some drilling of a certain concept to get it to "stick." hth

I commented on EPGY on another Math thread today. This certainly doesn't answer all questions but here it is:

My ds had some slight fine-motor delay so writing out math problems was really a chore for him. We started with EPGY several years ago now and are quite happy with how it's worked for him. First off, the program is only a 20 minute session, you can increase that time as desired by adding another session or part-session to the day as he gets older. Because much of it is presented on screen, there is often less writing to deal with until you get to larger multiple digit work. The program is set up to not dwell or drill on things that the student "gets" quickly. It does respond with more work in subjects where there are more initial errors. There aren't lots of cutesy pictures or graphics - my ds disliked singapore for that reason. We did use MEP as some additional work and we did bounce through a saxon book for several months at one point with somewhat less drilling than that usually requires. In EPGY, the addition/subtraction and then multiplication/division tables are practiced with "Math Races" at the beginning of each session and are drilled until the student hits a certain level of competence and then moves up to races involving fractions and decimals. So the student is not held back from other concepts until the times tables are learned but they are part of the ongoing practice. He is now 10 years old and does two twenty minute sessions daily. Once in a while we repeat a session that was particularly new and tricky for him and once in a while I respond to some difficulty by doing some drilling of a certain concept to get it to "stick." hth

FWIW, this is a really old thread.