Menu

Has anyone here lived in Thailand or at least visited? Dh can get a job there.

We are really just working on basic fact finding at this point. It does seem that we would be able to afford a comfortable townhouse near parks plus pay all of our living expenses. As near as I can tell from several expat blogs, homeschooling is realitively easy there except for the availability of English books, which I didn't think we'd find anyway. I'll have to take all of that with us and order regularly.

DH is exhausted from the hours he's working and it doesn't look like its going to let up. He's been worked to the bone for 18 straight months. I think he feels that he is a lousy husband and father because he doesn't get to spend time with us. We, of course, are just so thankful that he does all of this so that I can be a homeschooling mom and have a roof over our heads.

The reality is, if he remains here in the States, this is all he has to look forward to. He's corresponded with IT workers within other companies and its all the same. Work seven days a week, 12-14 hours a day, annual pay cuts for your misery, constant threats of having jobs shipped overseas, never a kind word from management, no breaks, no vacations, and the U.S. Labor Department's response is "Be thankful you have a job!" Which we are, but on the other hand, DH will be in an early grave.

So, there are several jobs right up his alley in Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia. Singapore is a bit more expensive but the salaries aren't any higher. Malaysia isn't easy to homeschool in and it would be tough to eke out a good place to live in a nice neighborhood plus all of the other expenses and tuition to international schools. Thailand is looking good.

It would be awful to leave DD (paramedic in training) behind. We couldn't take her because she probably couldn't get a residency visa just to come with us. She's going to be 19 and the job wouldn't pay to move her or provide medical for her. She'd need to stay with grandma and grandpa and of course, she'd still lose her medical unless we could convince the company, as part of the bargaining, to maintain an insurance policy here for her as our dependent. I have know idea if that is doable. Sometimes when I think about leaving here, my heart just breaks! Will she meet someone, get married, have children, and I will not be there? Hard to think about. Our little homestead life would dissolve.

But, I think DH's health has to come first. We aren't any further ahead in life if we just watch him have a heart attack or stroke because if this evil corporation he works for.

So, has anyone ever lived in Thailand, known someone who did, or at least visited there? What was the crime like, health care access, difficulties in adjusting, English speaking common/not common in Bangkok, food, etc.

Thanks Hive,

Faith

I take care of a little boy that's from Thailand. He's a cutie! I only take care of him on Fridays. So, I don't know a lot about it because... well... his mom doesn't speak English well at all. But, he's SOOO smart, really a product of a care for his schooling. He reads Thai and English, and they do cursive for English words, so he has beautiful cursive. (well, for a 5 year old... heck... after reading the threads... for some much older) I just read about Thai culture and realized that rubbing his head was most likely a "no no".

Not sure how much extra money you could make... but it seems like if you can make good money and live inexpensively....

:)

My parents lived in Thailand for a few years and loved it. They lived in Ko Samui, an island south of Bangkok.

They accessed the health care system for everything from glasses (my dad swears the best optomitrist he ever had was in Thailand) to an auto accident (my visiting brothers!) to a bout with dengue fever and were more then happy with it.

Neither speak anything but English but made many Thai friends despite that. Most of the Thais they met knew English. Granted, this was on a little resort island but it wasn't as developed as some other islands and if you're going to a center like Thailand I can't imagine language being a problem at all.

Crime wasn't a big issue there either but then again, it was a small resort island in development.

Food wasn't an issue for them either but then they tend to dive in to local food where ever they go. They did mention that they ate much healthier in Thailand - less meat and piles of fruit.

They had no problems adjusting at all. As far as Dad was concerned it felt a lot like home. They made Thai friends easily and felt they were warm, hospitable people.

The one big complaint they had was the driving. I don't know about Bangkok but the roads in Ko Samui were treacherous, the vehicles dodgey and the drivers aggressive.

Honestly, if I had the opportunity you do, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat!

Although I have never lived in Thailand, we have lived in Asia for many years and have gone to Thailand on 2-4 week holidays many, many times. We love it! I think a lot would depend on what is important to you. Are you excited about living cross-culturally or just going there for a job? And where in Thailand would you be moving?

Elaine

I've visited. My answers will vary a lot based on where you might be heading. Any idea?

Health care: excellent in the big hospitals in Bangkok. People come from all over the world to be treated there. Here's one that we used. All the doctors are overseas trained (as far as I remember) and all were English speaking.

English usage: in tourist jobs people speak English. General level of English speaking is not high though.

Crime: I don't have any statistics, but I had the impression that crime was low.

People: very nice.

Laura

I'm currently in Bangkok, Thailand awaiting the birth of #2 (5 1/2 weeks to go!). I have to say, it's quite easy to live here compared to where we normally live in Asia and to where we used to live in Peru. Alot of people speak basic English so it's easy to get around without speaking Thai, english books are readily available, there is alot of western style restaurants, you can get alot of the things you miss from home here (but you will pay alot for it), it's easy to get around the city and the healthcare here is great. Also, the mail system here is pretty good, it takes about a week and a half for me to get a package from the States. The Thai people are nice and crime is no worse than in any other major city (at least what we have seen). Thai food is incredible, some of the best in the world (that is if your not pregnant and can't handle spicy food)! It's not a bad place to live, except that it's hot! That said, it is overseas and there will be adjustments to life here. It's not the same as living in the US, but it can be a great place to live. Hope that helps you! PM me if you have more questions.

ETA: The hospital Laura linked to is where we are going and it is wonderful!

The jobs that fit Dh's area of expertise have all been in Bangkok.

I would be very excited to live in and learn about another culture. I think this would be a wonderful experience for our three boys.

The drawbacks are giving up our homestead dreams, leaving our precious 19 year old here, and DH's mother, 74, moved here four years ago to be near us. Dh's brother and sister do not do anything for their mother including showing any interest at all except, how much many will she leave us?

So, we have some family issues to overcome. I don't know if it would be possible to get dh's mother into the country. She still has an active nursing license with a pediatric specialty plus she's a retired professor of nursing. Maybe she could find a "job" so to speak that wouldn't be enough hours per week to tax her health but would allow her to come with us. She has retirement income but I think she would need something else for a little additional income because unless we could manage to afford a really big house in the suburbs, I don't see how we could afford to support her.

Faith