Menu

Rice Steamer help please

I tossed my hubby's rice steamer a few months ago - it was teflon. He is going to buy another one if I don't preempt him. Please help me find a rice pot that will steam up a ton of rice, keep it warm for a day or two, and isn't aluminum or non-stick. He is Korean and very picky about rice, but I won't pay $200 for a stainless steel rice steamer with "fuzzy logic" . :) Please help bring peace to my kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Exclussives-Stainless-Steel-Cooker/dp/B000I5UEQM

This cooking bowl is completely stainless steel. Most rice cookers that claim stainless steel are referring to the exterior.

If you leave the cooking bowl on warm, the rice at the bottom will crust. So as soon as it finishes cooking, I take the bowl out and let it cool elsewhere. If you don't mind the crust, you can leave it on the element to warm.

It's messy. I put it on the edge of the countertop and the area below it is always wet so I put paper towels.

It's not as convenient, clean and tidy as a teflon one, but I know my rice is safe so the inconvenience is worth it to me.

I'm assuming that the above will also apply to white rice. Don't know as I've only cooked brown rice in mine.

HTH,

Sandra

Colorado - no humidity. I can even dry towels in the bathroom. :)

My hubby loves the crusty rice at the bottom. He actually puts perfectly good rice on a cookie sheet in the oven to dry out so that he can add water to eat "rice and water." I think its gross. I only eat fresh, warm rice. Then again, he won't eat rice pudding.

This cooking bowl is completely stainless steel. Most rice cookers that claim stainless steel are referring to the exterior.

Thanks - I have been looking at the steamers for months but the cool ones that say stainless steel usually just look like they are stainless on the outside.

I've been using a pressure cooker for rice for years, and it turns out perfectly every time. Whe you want it warm again just cover it and put it on the stove for a minute. Pressure cookers come in handy for beans and potatoes, too.

Pressure cooker? Don't those blowup? I might be afraid of pressure cookers.

Can you cook rice in a pressure cooker?

Do you want a rice *cooker* or a rice *steamer*??

I have a gizmo that will steam veggies and rice, and I have a rice cooker. They are different, and the finished cooked rice is different. The steamer also doesn't make as much rice as the cooker.

I could not find a rice cooker that didn't have a non-stick pan. Of course, I didn't want to spend big bucks, either; maybe the more expensive ones aren't non-stick, but none in my price range were.

Rice steamer is what I want. I guess that is what they are called. See no wonder I've been having trouble. I always made rice in a pan with a tight fitting lid until I married my hubby. He had one of those things you plug in, put rice and water in then latch closed, and it cooks the rice and pops to warm when its done while dribbling white rice goo on the counter. The inside bowl was teflon. I think I want one of those.

My bil is Thai and has tried to teach me to make thai rice - I have a cone shaped bamboo rice basket and spittoon looking thing to put it in, but that is only for when I am spending a whole day trying to be a genius in the kitchen not just making brown rice for dinner.

Rice steamer is what I want. I guess that is what they are called. See no wonder I've been having trouble. I always made rice in a pan with a tight fitting lid until I married my hubby. He had one of those things you plug in, put rice and water in then latch closed, and it cooks the rice and pops to warm when its done while dribbling white rice goo on the counter. The inside bowl was teflon. I think I want one of those.

What you describe is a rice cooker.

Bill

This is the one I have in my shopping cart. There's also a clay pot one, but the stainless got better reviews. You can search for vitaclay or tayama though to find the clay pot if you're interested.

If you leave the cooking bowl on warm, the rice at the bottom will crust. So as soon as it finishes cooking, I take the bowl out and let it cool elsewhere. If you don't mind the crust, you can leave it on the element to warm.

It's messy. I put it on the edge of the countertop and the area below it is always wet so I put paper towels.

It's not as convenient, clean and tidy as a teflon one, but I know my rice is safe so the inconvenience is worth it to me.

I'm assuming that the above will also apply to white rice. Don't know as I've only cooked brown rice in mine.

HTH,

Sandra