Menu

For auditory learners, what curricula do you love?

We do whatever we can in the car on cd. Our memorization I find on Librivox.org. History is SOTW on cd. Math we do the Math U See cd and any other math cds I can find. Audio Memory has some good stuff. I've got this cd for science. http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Science-Tickle-Tune-Typhoon/dp/B000063124

Also my kids really like these http://www.acme.com/jef/singing_science/ Oh, also we do the Big Book of Latin, which has mp3, but when we did Latina Christianna I used their cds.

Anything at all I can find on cd I get. I really like to get texts with cds, so we can do the cds for the auditory learner and the bookwork to reinforce/test them and give the other types of learners something. That way I don't have to do 4 different things with 4 different types of learners.

What I do is make a cd up once a week that has all the memorization for the week, our history for the week, whichever math they happen to be working on, any relevant science songs, geography songs, etc. I really make them for my 12 year old auditory learner, but the funny thing is my 4 year old auditory learner knows a lot from our weekly cds. She knows almost all of the First Language Lessons poems from the first book to the fourth. I'm going to have to find new poetry for her when she gets old enough to start FLL herself. We spend 1.5 hours a day, 4 days a week in the car, so we get a lot of learning done in that time. We usually go through the cd at least once in a trip, but I also intersperse any fun songs we're in to that week just to make it not all learning. I've started adding a few things in there for my toddler, like "Twinkle, Twinkle" and the ABC song, but generally he likes the songs and poetry the big kids have. Oh, I'll also put some classical music in there sometimes. I have The Story of Classical Music. I need to rip that to the computer, so I can start putting it on our cd.

I did have plans to put everyone's stuff for the week onto their own mp3 player, but then they skip what they don't like. This way I can insure they're hearing it.

Edited by TengoFive

We do whatever we can in the car on cd.

Oh my goodness I hadn't even thought about doing everything by CD. My dd is very auditory, and while she's had a great time with SOTW on CD, I never thought about utilizing that for other subjects! What a great idea!

Hmmm...

:)

Oh my goodness I hadn't even thought about doing everything by CD. My dd is very auditory, and while she's had a great time with SOTW on CD, I never thought about utilizing that for other subjects! What a great idea!

Hmmm...

:)

We do a very similar thing. We are always listening to something in the car... mostly books, but also memory work, history sentences, etc. I highly recommend Classical Conversations for this... even if you don't participate in their group, you can order their CD's online. My kids have learned SO much from them, especially my very auditory learner who struggles with math facts. At least she can skip count everything now!

The other thing I've found is that even as she gets older (almost 12) it really really helps her if I sit next to her and read questions and directions out loud to her. It's a pain, but it's life. Her math is written directly to her, but I read it out loud anyway and it helps tremendously. Same with science. She doesn't have trouble reading or understanding, it just helps her process if she hears it out loud at the same time.

Hope that helps!

What great info! Victoria, what you are doing is quite impressive, but a bit overwhelming. You're a mom of 5? How do you do all this on a weekly basis? When I first read it, I thought, "She can't have but a couple of children."

I hadn't thought of using Classical Conversations just for the CDs. Hmmm ....

Other great audio suggestions?

What age range? Here's what my middle-schooler uses:

Foerster's Algebra with the Math Without Borders CD-ROMs (invisible teacher discusses the material and solves problems on a visible whiteboard);

BJU DVDs for science;

Online Latin class and audio CDs of each week's Latin textbook materials;

Books on tape so that she can absorb literature as she knits;

I read a great deal of material with her, alternating paragraphs. She could not possibly get through her literature assignments without that.

I can't decide if she's an auditory learner or just so ADD-ish that she can't slow down and pay attention without someone speaking the material aloud. Either way, these materials work for us.

It seriously takes me about 5 minutes a week to make our cd. I have everything ripped to my computer. Everything. So, I can go through my library very fast and select what we need. I think it takes longer to wait for the disc to burn (what I'm doing right now) than it does to make our selections for the week. I do have to spend a few minutes every month or so to make sure we have the Librivox.org poetry downloaded for the upcoming poems they'll be memorizing. I got a catalog once that was for teachers and was all educational cds, but I can't remember what the name of it was now. If I can find the name, I'll pass it along.

What great info! Victoria, what you are doing is quite impressive, but a bit overwhelming. You're a mom of 5? How do you do all this on a weekly basis? When I first read it, I thought, "She can't have but a couple of children."

I hadn't thought of using Classical Conversations just for the CDs. Hmmm ....

Other great audio suggestions?

When my strong auditory-learning son was younger, I loved reading SL RA's to him. He retains so much! Now I agree about CD's and DVD's are great for him. We have classical songs with multiplication facts as a CD and geography songs on CD. It's amazing the way he can rattle off the geographic regions because of memorizing the songs. He is also doing BJU DVD's.

I also find that he does really well with learning an instrument, like piano, because he has a great ear for music... the same great ear that helps him with auditory skills, go figure!

Brenda

We have enjoyed Pudewa's Poetry Memorizations CDs, Themes to Remember, assorted books from Librivox, Vox Masters composer CDs as well as the The Story of Classical Music read by Marin Alsop. Our family enjoys books on audio -we check those out of the library.

TIA!

For younger kids (lower/mid elementary), Jim Weiss has not only magnificently engaging story tapes but also some on historical topics, including Galileo and astronomy, Queen Elizabeth I, Thomas Jefferson, and more.

We listen to audiobooks ALL THE TIME. My daughter often actually listens to one while reading another book. She will look up from reading to chime in with favorite quotes from the one that is playing -- don't know how in the world she can do that. I read aloud to her from a current events magazine, Muse magazine (art/history/science articles for teens), and sections from non-fiction books I am reading.

Listening to music is very big, too. My daughter has become a musical theater fan and listens to soundtracks repeatedly. She can memorize anything set to music; when she was tiny she learned some spelling words and our phone number this way.

And we go to plays and performances as often as we can afford to, or can find discounted tickets. We started going to outdoor summer Shakespeare when she was nine -- many auditory kids can grasp the storyline, enjoy some of the puns; and comedies are perfect to start them off.

Spelling:

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling City we use this for our personal lists in Phonetic Zoo - that way she hears it plenty of times

Geography:

Geography Songs & States/Capitals

Science:

Lyrical Life Science

Adaptive Curriculum

Arts:

Story of the Orchestra

Classical Kids

Creativity Express Not sure if this counts

Literature:

Child's Introduction to Poetry

Audible for various books