Menu

Oak Meadow Question - US History

I'm pretty sure that I've finally decided to use Oak Meadow's US History next year (of course, it seems my final decisions are never definitely "final".......) I've never ordered from them before and was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me???

1st - I keep hearing about a teacher manual, but I don't see where you would order it once you get to the bookstore - there's just the syllabus and the text. Where do you find it?

2nd - Does anyone happen to know the ISBN # of the textbook currently being used so that I can try to find it for less than $118 :tongue_smilie: (It's "The American Vision" - Glencoe)

Thank you!

In the past I've had to call Oak Meadow customer service to place an order for a Teacher's Manual. I've always had wonderful customer service from OM and they've always been happy to provide the current ISBN numbers so I could buy the textbooks elsewhere.

You just call Oak Meadow to order the teacher manual. It does have answers to all the questions in the syllabus. It doesn't have answers to the projects, but the projects don't really have "answers".

textbook ISBN 0-07-860719-1

example of question in syllabus

4. Describe the different points of view in the debate over the use of the atomic bomb and explain why Truman finally decided to use it.

example of answer

4A. One adviser opposed using the bomb because it would kill civilians indiscriminately,. Instead her believed an economic blockade and conventional bombinb might convince Japan to surrender. Another adviser wanted to warn the Japanese about the bomb while at the same time telling them that they could keep the empereor if they surrendered. Another adviser wanted to drop the bomb without any warning to shock Japan into surrendering. All his advisers warned President Truman to expect massive casualties if the United States invaded Japan. Truman decided to drop the bomb because he believed it was his duty as president to use every weapon available to save American lives.

examples of projects (supposed to choose just one)

a. Prepare a one-page report on the career of a WWII military leader. The report should address how the leader contributed to the war effort, and what the leader did earlier or later in his career.

A. use the rubric for creating a research report in the back of the manual

b. Create a table showing every geographical location named in section 2 of the chapter, along with an explanation of the location's significance as it related to WWII. Locate and mark each location on a world map.

c. Take on the role of a young woman who just took a job working in a defense factory during the war and is writing a letter to her grandmother about her first few days on the job. (this is what my dd chose)

A. use the rubric for creating a letter in the back of the manual

d. Create a poster encouraging efforts such as rationing, victory gardens, or war bonds.

e. Use the quote on p759 as the basis for a pencil or chalk drawing that might have accompanied a news story filed by Robert Sherrod. Include the quote at the bottom of the drawing so that people viewing the drawing will have a frame of reference.

f. Chose one of the groups that landed at Omaha Beach on D-Day and describe their journey after reaching the beach. Include information about the distance and direction traveled, the geography traversed, and German defenses encountered.

g. Watch one of the many feature films on WWII, such as They Were Expendable, Bridge on the River Kwai, Guns of Navarone, A Bridge Too Far, Summer of My German Soldier, or Saving Private Ryan. Prepare a 2-3 page critique of the movie you watched

You can see that they couldn't really provide answers for the projects. They are far too open-ended for that. They do have answers to all the questions in the syllabus though.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :001_smile: for your replies and links!

So, I'm getting the idea that I wouldn't really NEED the TM. I'll be reading the text and will be able to answer the questions (that have definite answers) from the syllabus. Is there anything else in the TM that would make me really want to purchase it? Tests, quizzes?

Brindee,

Thanks for the link to the Glencoe site. BUt....how can I find the similar thing for a more recent edition (the site says for 2003) so how about a link to 2005? I couldn't navigate arround the Glencoe site to find it!

Myra