Menu

Oregano Tea for coughing

I am on week 4 of coughing from what is officially known around here as "the coughing crud". My banker recommended to me "oregano tea". He said you take a few tsp. of oregano, put it in a tea strainer or tea-ball in hot water. Steep for 10 min. - sweeten with honey and drink.

I looked this up on the internet. Oregano tea is recommended as a remedy for coughing/bronchitis.

1. Is this oregano the one in my spice cabinet or does it have to be a certain "grade" or potency?

2. Can I give this to children? Ds10 is also on week 4 of coughing.

3. Does it really work?

I don't have any solid answers for you, Jean, but I use oregano oil on my dc's feet when they are ill. (Rub onto soles of feet and cover with socks.) It's from the health food store. I used to buy the expensive brand, but have down-graded to the less expensive one to make it through the winter.

I do use my spices from my cupboard to make myself tea quite often. (I usually use rosemary and thyme.) I would use my regular spices and try the oregano, at least to see if it helped.

Hope you both get to feeling better soon,

Michele

Thank you so much. I've been drinking it! Too soon to tell if it is doing any good, though.

I know that oregano oil (in a medium, like castor oil or almond oil) applied to your nose will do *wonders* for sinus trouble! So, I'd definitely be willing to at least try the tea for a cough.

{{hugs}} and everybody feel better soon!

Dy

Unfortunately, I think I'm allergic to the oregano tea! I've had a number of cups (and don't mind the taste - maybe because I'm used to other herbal teas including echinacea tea which are not really sweet). But every time I had a cup I had a burning in my airways. At first I thought the tea was working on an infection or something. But ds10 had no burning at all with the tea. And I have a burning sensation (airway inflammation) when I eat wheat and I'm starting to see the similarities in how I feel. Oh well, the cough is getting better a bit every day, anyway!:ack2: