Menu

If you had a non-mathy child what would you use for math

Gamom3

I have used MCP for K-2, Saxon for 3rd and Abeka for 4th. I already have the Abeka math for next year. After looking at it, I have a feeling that dd will struggle with it.

I really don't like MUS, Saxon or R&S. So what other choices would you go with?

What about Chalkdust 5..anyone tried that?

I would use MUS in the lower grades and CLE for 5th grade and up. CLE (one year "behind" has been wonderful for my non-mathy 5th grader. However, is yours is struggling with *concepts* I would give Math U See a try. If your child needs more *drill* I would try CLE.

Ooops! I just re-read your post and saw that you really don't like MUS. I didn;t like the looks of it either, but it may *work* for your child. It may be worth a try, as MUS has worked for many non-mathy children and kids with LD's.

For my non-math oriented one we've used MUS. We tried Abeka as well, but it was much to fast-paced for him. MUS is excellent at explaining concepts and moves at a very do-able pace. I read that you didn't like it, but thought I'd put in my vote for it anyway.

Heather

a "teacher in a can" like Chalkdust or Teaching Textbooks (the latter of which you may need to skip ahead a year from what I read on these boards...it is cheaper than Chalkdust, though. My dd, 5th grade, is using TT6 and it is just right. She is a non-math eprson, too.)

My thoughts are Singapore for the younger years, and then TT from there. Singapore is just so different from our standard math as it teaches mental math. TT is so easy to understand. I had a friend who's dd was struggling big time in math, but when she switched to TT she started understanding math.