Menu

Top of the Class

MIch elle

I got this book because it was recommended by someone on these boards and WOW it's an eye opener. It's an excellent look at how controlling Asian parents are pushing their dc's education to the benefit of their dc. Maybe that's why there are SO many Asian students at the top schools in this country (MIT, Harvard, etc.). My parents were totally hands off so many of ideas in this book I wouldn't even think to do (until now)!

Anyone else reading this book?

That was probably my recommendation. I recommend it up and down to anyone who will listen. It describes many of the things my parents did with me (we aren't Asian, just hard working Irish immigrants, :),) and I am passing on to my dc: cultivating a desire for and respect of education in the home. It does cross over into a lot about getting into top colleges, which is not necessarily our ultimate goal, but if you can just take the relevant parts, it is a very helpful book.

and recommended it to others who want to see another educational view or whose children attend school with Asians.

Having said that, I really didn't like the tone of the book or the overall message the two Korean sisters were giving. The bottom line I inferred from it all after I read the last page and closed the book was "all that mattered to my parents was that I am a professional (fill in the blank with doctor, engineer, lawyer)."

Maybe my view is a little harsh but I have seen this (whole scenario as presented in the book) in real life with the Asians and Indians I know. I like them (they have been wonderful to get to know) but as a group they are obsessed with their child's academic performance: grades, test scores, on and on. The Asian and Indian parents I know with young kids are always wondering if they are doing enough preschool and young kid activities to prepare their kids to be "successful." To fill that need there are at least 10 tutoring businesses within driving distance of where I live plus numerous "in-house" tutoring businesses.

There are great tips in the book which I think many moms are already doing here but the potential for overkill is also there.

;)When we were in Vietnam we discovered that the literacy rate is 99%. THAT alone is something to admire. They do place a HUGE importance on education. That is how the government exerts their control on the population. 2 children are educated free, after that, the family has to pay for schooling (unless you live in the countryside, where labor is needed, and that is a whole different story...). That being said, my oldest tested borderline gifted and has drive and energy that is about to kill me. She is working ahead at least a grade level in 3 subjects, actually 3, if she had started K at age 6, this year. She started reading at age 3.5 and I did NOT push.

A recent study has pointed out that fish is a major component of the Asian diet, which has been shown to enhance brain development while in utero.

They do have drive, but they also have something worth pushing.

Also, one has to consider the economics of these countries...If one doens't succeed, there is no welfare or social security. You are a beggar. Period.

Now, having said all that, I don't necessarily agree with the pushing that is done, but the parents are wanting the same as us: sucess for our children, food on their tables and clothes on their backs.

I have added this book to my '889' list ;)