Menu

LFC users that DON'T use the DVD's

Homemama2

I just purchased the bundle from Timberdoodle that includes LFC primer A, answer key, Pronunciation cd, activity guide and history reader. I'm thinking now I maybe should have gotten the DVD...but financially it's really not an option. So how do you use/schedule this?? How often do you do latin? I'm assuming the chants and vocab are reviewed daily...

Any help? I'm feeling overwhelmed just looking at this! :001_huh:

If I were in your shoes I would return everything and then buy just the DVD and the workbook. That's all you need. That's all I use and my kids love it and are retaining a lot. At the Classical Academic Website they have free printouts if you need extra reinforcement (I've used that to reinforce vocabulary).

As for scheduling, I go at my son's pace (my dd just listens in for fun). When he knows something thoroughly, we move on. I am not in any race or anything. I just want him to have a good chunk of Latin under his belt when he hits high school.

But really the DVD is the heart of the program and the workbook is there to reinforce the DVD. All the other stuff is extraneous. So send it all back and then buy the DVD and workbook separately from CAP if you can't through Timberdoodle. You'll thank me!

Edited by Faithr
typos

I agree that the DVD is essential. The history reader is utter fluff. The Activity Book is very good, but you can certainly learn without it. The website has good games and things also.

I love LFC. We are moving through it slowly, though. I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse. :tongue_smilie: We average a lesson per 2-3 weeks. We try to do it four days a week but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Watching the video will make sense of the rest. No need to be overwhelmed. :001_smile:

Sorry, but I'm going to agree, the DVDs are a life saver if you don't have any Latin training. When we received primer A last I flipped to the back of the book and felt lost. Once we got there with the DVD it all made sense.

We did not use the history reader or activity guide last year, this year (primer b) we added the activity guide but it's not really essential.

We schedule our Latin this way.

Mon - watch the DVD, review the grammar page

Tues - Do memory worksheet review vocab

Wed- no Latin

Thurs - review vocab, finish any additional pages

Fri - do quiz

We do mostly a week at a time. Sometimes we spend two weeks on a review week.

Again, check around to see if you can find the DVDs used.

Oh brother....

I guess I'm glad to find out NOW...but that just stinks. I do have the cd...just not the DVD. So nobody uses this w/o the DVD, huh? :tongue_smilie:

I think you could if the DVDs are just not within your budget. Use the pronunciation CD and read ahead to make sure you understand the grammar page and what is being presented in the chapter. Also CAP has a facebook page where you could look for help or ask here, many of us have been through the program.

But the DVD is the fun part of Primer A. Really fun. Without it, it is just.....Latin.

Julie

P.S. Be sure to get the newest (revised) version of the DVD. They re-made it a few years ago to include more grammar explanation, so you don't just have to take it on faith so much.

We'll be using it without the DVD next year as the revised DVDs aren't available for level C. While we've enjoyed the DVDs thus far, I wouldn't call them essential just a nice break for Mom from teaching. I would schedule something like this...

Monday: listen to CD, review lesson pages in the primer together, and make vocab cards

Tuesday-Thursday: CD chants, 1 primer page, 1 activity page

Friday: test (We redo the primer quiz with no looking back allowed.)

When you're halfway through the year and ready to add the reader just shift the primer worksheets to Monday to Wednesday and do the reader on Thursday or Thursday and Friday if it's a longer one. For the vocab cards I recommend color coding. We use pink for feminine, blue for masculine, yellow for neuter, white for verbs, and green for prepositions. HTH