Menu

Flaxseed?

I have ground Flaxseed. I understand that by just using 2 TBSP a day in yogurt, or your food et. is supposed to help lower blood pressure, and cholesterol.

True or just a theory?

I have heard this from different sources but have no first hand experience. I just wanted to caution you that ground flaxseed turns yogurt into a slimy mess (IMHO anyways) and I would recommend putting it into salad where it bestows a nutty flavor on the dish and does not change the consistency of it. I have, on occasion, put it on a scoop of vanilla ice cream and this works okay - but when I put it in yogurt, I had to empty part of it into the waste basket. :tongue_smilie:

I posted my answers to your initial questions about my experience with hypertension, but I forgot to share a couple of my favorite books on the topic.

As I mentioned, I have not had success in lowering my BP with diet, etc., but I do believe most people can.

Dr. Julian Whitaker's book Reversing Hypertension: A Vital New Program to Prevent, Treat, and Reduce High Blood Pressure is a wonderful source of information.

I also found What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About: Hypertension: The Revolutionary Nutrition and Lifestyle Program to Help Fight High Blood Pressure to be a helpful resource.

I put flaxseed meal into smoothies, or add to nearly all baked goods around here. I don't know anything about its benefits with regard to BP specifically, but it has myriad other health benefits, so I certainly think flax is a worthy addition to most diets.

Crissy,

Thank you. I am on BP meds but anything I can add to help lower it would be helpful. I will look into those books as well.

Abbeyj, thanks. I think I am going to add it to my smoothies, and any other health benefit I get sure doesn't hurt!

We put ground flaxseed in smoothies, oatmeal, applesauce and sprinkle on salads. My dh uses this in addition to cholesterol medication, however, he has been able to lower the dosage quite a bit. Whether this is a result of the flaxseed, or diet, exercise combined with medication, I have no idea.