Menu

Any business letter/ request ideas for 12yo ds

Could you give ideas for business/request letters for my 12yo ds to write. I want to give him lots of practice and am looking for fun things to request or comment on. Any ideas or resources for freebies or other would be appreciated.

Thanks

He has written to Carlsbad Caverns National Park for info (just read a book about caves) and to a company requesting a sample of cat nip (funny, my dh is traveling to the same city this week on business, and when ds asked him to hand deliver the letter and pick up the sample for him, he said "wouldn't that be an interesting explanation going through airport security...'it's just catnip'":))

What are his interests?

For instance, if he enjoys books by x-author ... what about a letter to the author commenting on his most recent read? Or to the publisher to speak support for his favorite author.

If he enjoys sports, what about a letter to a franchise commenting on something relevant (e.g., my son wrote to our local baseball team wondering why ticket prices were so high compared to other pro sports in our area)?

If he enjoys the community, what about a letter to one of the local boards (parks&rec or library) with some ideas to suggest OR ideas to take away about how to participate? We've written the mayor with comments, suggestions, and ended up with a field trip that taught us more than we cared to know LOL.

If he enjoys certain radio stations, why not a letter to a local affiliate? Perhaps local tv, too.

My son is only 9, so his letters may be too "young" for your son but I've had him write these type of letters every year for the past three (grades 1-3). He's written to M&Ms, Lego, the mayor, a state representative, several local athletic franchises, the manager of our favorite local restaurant, our local grocery store, and others. Many times his letters are cross-projects, such as soliciting donations from one business in the interest of his extracurriculars (scouts, sports, personal volunteering efforts). They are usually very well-received, and almost every request or comment is met with a coupon of some value :)

I once wrote a letter to a famous musician in my hometown (violinist/conductor) and he wrote back and sent two free concert tickets. If you don't have a nearby symphony, maybe an author or poet? He could write about some things he's learned/is enjoying about instruments/music/books/writing/etc.

Edited by Susan in TN

In the 1980's I read a book called Letters from a Nut. This guy wrote all kinds of crazy things to various businesses and corporations and published his letters and the responses. He complained about things like how many nuts were in his candy bar and the degree of whiteness of his underwear. He also just wrote personal chat and goofiness to powerful corporate leaders. Very entertaining, and perhaps an inspiration for some creativity. I wouldn't recommend annoying and bothering others, but the range of letters could bring some ideas.

Could you give ideas for business/request letters for my 12yo ds to write. I want to give him lots of practice and am looking for fun things to request or comment on. Any ideas or resources for freebies or other would be appreciated.

Thanks

We just did this! My 13 yo wrote to Jelly Belly and recieved a reply today with a free sample of jelly beans! My DD wrote to Mars @ M&MS. I am looking forward to her reply letter :D