Menu

Can ACT science/reading scores improve?

cmpet7

I'm in need of some advice. My son is not scoring better than a 25-26 on the science and reading portions of practice ACTs. He is a strong reader but tends to be slow. His main problem on these sections are time. Other then using a stopwatch, has any one had any experience in improving these scores? Has there been anything that stands out as particulary helpful? He is a junior so we don't have a lot of time. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cathy

Has he done several practice tests at home (not all in one setting)? Science tends to be the best candidate for improvement since it concentrates so much on reading graphs and charts and not quite as much on actual science. Once kids figure that out, they tend to improve a bit. If he hasn't looked into the "help" books, I would start there with whatever my library had and do quite a few practice sections with a stopwatch to get better versed with it. Just don't overdo it to the point of no return.

If the library wasn't helpful, go to a bookstore and browse. Buy the one he likes the best after looking at depth into it.

My dd's first practice ACT she scored about 18 on the science and maybe 28 on the reading. In her first real ACT, she scored 33 on the reading and 23 on the science. SHe had been scoring higher on the practice science tests but she took the test at the wrong time of the month for her. She will be retaking in April and should do better.

He has taken a few practice tests at home. He continues to not score well on reading and Science. He does better if I give the practice exam alone rather than after the english and math section. Time seems the biggest issue. How do you teach a child to read faster?

Science is usually the last section tested. I think test fatigue is a factor of lower science scores. I've seen this in my own kids and have discussed it with many other mothers. The kids will tell us that they are just so tired by that time.

I'm working with my boys to increase testing stamina. Also, I intend to send a snack (or money for a snack) to be eaten shortly before the science section. We will take a lot of practice tests prior to the real testing.

Another approach is to have the student take the SAT (no science section on that). We did that with my oldest and he did score a bit higher on the SAT than the ACT. That lower science section will really bring down the composite.