Menu

Need advice about sleeping arrangements with toddler.

I am in a dilemna. I have an almost 2 year old with severe reflux. Because of this he is up a lot a night needing comfort so he has always slept in our bed. I also have a husband with a debilitating painful neurological condition which makes sleeping very difficult. Even though we are in a king size bed, my toddler moving around all the time wakes up my husband which makes his sleep not so good and he has to work. My husband wants me to stay in the room with him and we don't have oodles of room in our room. I am afraid to put him in a toddler bed because he would be so low to the ground and I would be up high. We have managed all this time..but he is growing!!! Any advice for my crazy situation??:) Hoping the hive has some wisdom for me.

Thanks

Could you fit a twin-size bed right next to your king bed? Then the little one could sleep on that bed and not disturb your husband, but he'd also be easy for you to get to. I know that would take up lots of space, but it wouldn't be forever.

We've had similar situations here and had to come up with some creative solutions to help everyone sleep well. It's not always easy. Good luck!

If you move him to a toddler bed (or even better, a crib with 1 side removed sidecarred against your bed) you could prop up one end of the mattress which might help some with the reflux. Just get a pool noodle and cut it to fit the width of the crib then slide it under the mattress (on top of the frame).

Could you fit a twin-size bed right next to your king bed? Then the little one could sleep on that bed and not disturb your husband, but he'd also be easy for you to get to. I know that would take up lots of space, but it wouldn't be forever.

We've had similar situations here and had to come up with some creative solutions to help everyone sleep well. It's not always easy. Good luck!

I have thought of this but was afraid of him getting wedged between the two mattresses. :tongue_smilie: Is there someway to prevent that? There is a heater vent along that wall so we couldn't put it right up against the wall.

Can you push the king against the other wall and still have room for a twin? Have one adult sleep on the twin, then either the baby in the middle or on the far side of the king against the wall?

It wouldn't concern me about a 2yo suffocating in the crack of a bed. I guess it is possible, but, seemingly unlikely, unless the child has muscular issues that would keep them from being mobile.

To lessen the crack between the two mattresses, you can roll towels and put them in the crack, then put a blanket on top to make it a smooth transition over the two beds.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

If you still have a crib, and it's the right height, you can "side-car" it by taking off the one bar... then my husband... took a piece of plywood and stuck it under my son's mattress... and under ours... so they didn't slide... Or, you can put the side done... and scooch it up to your bed. This is most stable, if you scoot... crib to a wall.. and then bed to the crib... My husband was told to raise the head of our bed... and you could do it for your bed and crib, I suppose... (my husband has a bit of a "problem" with acid..)

;)