Menu

Curriculum for Mandarin/Chinese?

SproutMamaK

I've gleaned tons of info about Latin curriculum from reading other poster's questions on this board. However, I'm also interested in teaching my kids Mandarin (though not quite yet - I don't think they're quite ready). Does anyone have any curriculum recommendations? Are there even programs any out there?

Are you a Mandarin speaker? The reason I ask is that I think it's crucial to have a fluent Mandarin speaker (preferably native) to work on the tones at the beginning. The tones really do make the language and they are hard for Westerners to hear without good training.

I've seen a few curricula for children but I haven't taught them myself, so don't feel able to make a recommendation.

Best wishes for your search,

Laura

Are you a Mandarin speaker? The reason I ask is that I think it's crucial to have a fluent Mandarin speaker (preferably native) to work on the tones at the beginning. The tones really do make the language and they are hard for Westerners to hear without good training.

I've seen a few curricula for children but I haven't taught them myself, so don't feel able to make a recommendation.

Best wishes for your search,

Laura

I so agree with Laura. My DS goes to Chinese School and this year they are focusing on the tones and little else. We are thrilled that he is getting such a good foundation. He is a quick study with the words, but they mean nothing without the correct tones. It is also helpful if you can find a tutor that is geared toward children. My DS understands the 4 tones so well because his teacher has made a game out of them. There are lots of hand signals as well as body language for the children to really cement those tones in their brains.

My oldest did an immersion class last fall, is currently finishing up Hooked on Chinese, and will be trying My First Chinese Reader by Better Chinese next. She seems to be learning and one of the ladies my DH works with who is a Chinese immigrant said that DD has decent pronunciation. I would like to get her into another immersion class soon but we recently moved and I've yet to find a Mandarin one in this area (the "Chinese" classes around here I've come across teach Cantonese).

No, I'm not. Thanks for the info - maybe I'll look into having them take a class instead.