Menu

Flying to CA today-tell me it's ok to be afraid

Flying to CA in a few hours for a week and a half. I've done great up until today and am in very high stress mode thinking of taking the kids half way 'cross the country on my own. LA traffic is bothering me most right now, I think.

Please tell me I'm normal and it's ok. Tell me it will be fine once we get going!

Anyone on here live in LA? I think one gentleman does for sure.

I took my girls alone to CA last March and it was wonderful. I had my newly updated GPS in the rental and that made all the difference. i felt we could go anywhere, and a wrong turn wouldn't matter at all. '

I drove from San Diego to LA and back (dh was in CA on biz, and flew different lfights and we met up with him). I took the kids to all the attractions and dh met us at DL. It worked out great and all was well. My youngest was 9, so I didn't have any little-littles. I did once take my kids alone to WDW for 10 days ( 9, 8, 4) but WDW is a piece of cake. All you need are pools and cheese sticks. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

it'll be okay! I actually don't mind the freeways in LA, I prefer them to the small streets...I don't like driving in downtown LA, the streets are small, there are no left turn lights, so cars have to sit in the middle and wait, and the parking on the street blocks the right lane. But, I survive when I have to!

take a deep breath, it will be okay, get a gps for your rental car. The freeways are easy to use, just a bugger during traffic. Weather is great right now!

You'll be fine! I flew to CA with my oldest dd just last week! We flew into San Diego, rented a car, went to the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, the beach, etc... THEN we drove up to Anaheim and spent 4 days there. If you have a GPS, I'd recommend taking it. So. CA isn't too bad. Yeah, traffic can suck, no one in CA knows how to use their blinkers, but you will be fine and I bet you have a great time! :)

You'll be fine! I flew to CA with my oldest dd just last week! We flew into San Diego, rented a car, went to the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, the beach, etc... THEN we drove up to Anaheim and spent 4 days there. If you have a GPS, I'd recommend taking it. So. CA isn't too bad. Yeah, traffic can suck, no one in CA knows how to use their blinkers, but you will be fine and I bet you have a great time! :)

This really is important to note! Drives me crazy.

You will be fine. The freeways are really just like the freeways in any other city, there are just more of them.

We live in the burbs but I have no worries about driving all over Southern CA. Having GPS keeps me very calm because I know that if I make a wrong turn, it will get me right back on track.

Good Luck.

Oh...one last tip! Be prepared to be more aggressive than you may be use to and I heartily recommend a smaller rental car. I started out with a Chrysler 300, but traded it in for a Subaru Legacy (4 door). Much better choice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, ladies. We got back last night from our trip and it went just fine. As a matter of fact, it was better than that, it was absolutely wonderful. I never did drive during rush hour, and I tried to avoid the main freeways so traffic was never a big issue. I was so afraid of it and it wasn't any worse than anything I'd handled before. A GPS was very handy too. :)

Thank you!!

Thanks for all your help, ladies. We got back last night from our trip and it went just fine. As a matter of fact, it was better than that, it was absolutely wonderful. I never did drive during rush hour, and I tried to avoid the main freeways so traffic was never a big issue. I was so afraid of it and it wasn't any worse than anything I'd handled before. A GPS was very handy too. :)

Thank you!!

Great! Next time you'll give other people advice!

Thank you!!

Glad you had a good trip!