Menu

O.K. I'm just going to ask - language arts help!!

abrightmom

Have been searching and reading every post/thread and my eyes are bugging out of my head!!!

I think that OhElizabeth has MUCH wisdom here and so does Colleen (love her counsel on writing) . . . Siloam (Heather) and, oh, can't remember (the Mom with Audrey Hepburn as her avatar!!). Anyway, I ask very humbly for your advice. I realize that every situation is unique. I think I have some questions that are simply the result of a lack of experience. Perhaps your experience will shed some light.

My DS7 reads well. He has stumbled a bit with multi syllable words and we are reviewing those sections in OPGTR. He's done great with ETC (through book 3 -- I may continue on but book 4 is so different -- I'm looking it over now). We started spelling with R&S (2nd grade level). I considered AAS then didn't use it. I am waffling on that decision because I think that learning the phonograms and rules from the beginning will help him (based on seeing some of his struggles). We are using WWE and FLL. I like them both and they seem to be working :). HOWEVER, I am wondering if he needs to be doing anything else to cement what he's learning (like reviewing concepts as in a CLE type of program with that spiral review). I FEAR doubling up too much but I am also realizing a GREAT NEED to solidify his foundation. I would much rather send history and science to the back burner and focus in on math and language arts skills in these early years. I might be doing that already but I am not experienced enough to SEE it if it's happening.

1. Is FLL/WWE/spelling enough? Obviously we're reading too. I have read WTM and SWB says it is. I just feel really nervous about that and I don't see my son being challenged. Maybe he doesn't need to be yet but I am sensing a need to up the ante for him (based on a number of things I'm seeing).

2. Do I need him to be able to transfer those skills yet? Does that come in the logic stage?

3. If I make a switch to AAS will that reinforce phonics for him?

4. Is CLE a sensible reinforcement without being overkill? Is it simply NOT needed?

5. In lieu of that, does continuing with ETC make sense? Perhaps we should see it through to the end (would probably take us to the end of second grade if we finish through Book 8).

6. Is the copywork in WWE enough in a week? At her pace it's only 2 sentences!!!!!! That seems like very little.

7. Can I move ahead to WWE2 without finishing WWE1? I honestly think it's easy peasy for him. BUT I know that sometimes moving ahead can backfire later.

8. Is it O.K. that things are easy? :) I want him to be challenged. He is actually MOST challenged by having to read the instructions and follow them (like in a CLE type of book or in his spelling). They require him to think and process the question. He struggles with this and I'm wondering if he needs to use something to practice that skill. Oral learning works great for him but it also reinforces some passivity (my observations here). It might be just fine for now -- I continue to grapple with this.

I'm sorry to be so boring in my questions!!!! I know they've probably been answered thousands of times . . . I hope that someday soon I'll be able to return the favor :).

I considered AAS then didn't use it. I am waffling on that decision because I think that learning the phonograms and rules from the beginning will help him (based on seeing some of his struggles). We are using WWE and FLL. I like them both and they seem to be working :). HOWEVER, I am wondering if he needs to be doing anything else to cement what he's learning (like reviewing concepts as in a CLE type of program with that spiral review). I FEAR doubling up too much but I am also realizing a GREAT NEED to solidify his foundation. I would much rather send history and science to the back burner and focus in on math and language arts skills in these early years. I might be doing that already but I am not experienced enough to SEE it if it's happening.

1. Is FLL/WWE/spelling enough? Obviously we're reading too. I have read WTM and SWB says it is. I just feel really nervous about that and I don't see my son being challenged. Maybe he doesn't need to be yet but I am sensing a need to up the ante for him (based on a number of things I'm seeing).

2. Do I need him to be able to transfer those skills yet? Does that come in the logic stage?

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can say that AAS is a complete phonics program, so it definitely would reinforce phonics for him. The first year we used it, my kids' reading levels went up two grade levels. I blogged about our experiences with it here.

As to whether your son needs it--I don't know from what you've said, what his struggles are. If he tends to do things like leave sounds out of words, "decorate with vowels," or generally just doesn't seem to have a good phonetic grasp of how to spell, then I think it would be a great program. The kids who benefit most from AAS are struggling spellers, kids who are just starting out to prevent spelling struggles, or those who need to learn/reinforce the rules.

Copywork and dictation are sometimes enough to teach spelling to some kids. Some kids are going to need a more direct, incremental approach. My kids feel into this latter category. I like that AAS includes dictation because I feel like it is a very strong way to reinforce good spelling skills.

I hope this helps you as you think through what to do--I know it's tough to evaluate curriculum and decide what your child really needs, and what to spend your time and money on!

Merry :-)

1) I know that since WWE and FLL take so little time they feel less rigorous. Your son is only 7 though, and I think keeping things easy while still learning is important. There's plenty of time for him to be challenged and start hating Language Arts later LOL.

2) As you progress and continue on, you'll see him start to apply his language arts before you have to remind him of it. You should also be using some of his language arts training in science and history. This is an opportunity to apply what he's learned. It takes a long time before they start to automatically apply things themselves. It takes a lot of practice, but he's got plenty of time for that.

3) It may, depending on his learning style.

4) Overkill IMO at his age.

5) We skipped book 4 and went on to Book 5. We came back to Book 4 later. It's an odd one.

6) We do add extra copywork for handwriting practice. You could also have him copy his own history/science narrations.

7) I would keep going with WWE1, but maybe do 2 lessons a day if you feel its too easy.

8) I strongly feel that at age 7 learning should be easy. You'll hear this over and over again, but I pushed my oldest and challenged her and we're still dealing with the repercussions 5 years later. My next one I took it very easy on and he's passed his older sister in many areas. One of the great parts of homeschooling is you can do so much orally and work one on one. There's a reason why even schools advocate one on one learning. Kids learn best that way. Why try to force him to learn something that he doesn't need at this stage (reading and following written instructions?) You have an opportunity to teach him painlessly, which is what school should be at his age. I think many of us have been programmed to think learning is hard, and it doesn't have to be!

I might be doing that already but I am not experienced enough to SEE it if it's happening.

My understanding of language arts skills is: learning to read, actually reading, spelling, grammar, composition, and handwriting/printing skills. You've mentioned OPGTR (learning to read), R&S/AAS (spelling), FLL (grammar), WWE (composition), and obviously reading (actually reading). I'll also assume that you are teaching him to print. As far as I can tell, you have all those skills covered well. What things do you see that make you sense a need to up the ante?

Try to think of these skills merging more together gradually over grades 1-4. And sometimes some skills won't merge with others until logic stage. This is the time to learn and practice them individually (which takes up the bulk of the time - it is wise to put science and history as a lower priority, though you can include this in your regular reading, and incorporate it into your WWE work.). If they learn these skills well individually, then they will be synthesized more in logic stage.

I've never seen what you are comparing it to, and I only know that AAS is somewhat similar to what I use (WRTR). And I love using WRTR. It just made sense to me to learn the phonograms and then learn the rules via analyzing spelling words.

4. Is CLE a sensible reinforcement without being overkill? Is it simply NOT needed?

I have seen/am seeing FLL and WWE work very well - I wouldn't use another formal program to do the same thing. If you want to reinforce what he's learning from them, just do it casually as part of life - talk about another book (without requiring a narration or copywork), make a game out of identifying nouns or verbs, etc.. FLL and WWE will give you a common "language" for the skills - I would be reluctant to use another program for fear of confusing him with another approach.

5. In lieu of that, does continuing with ETC make sense? Perhaps we should see it through to the end (would probably take us to the end of second grade if we finish through Book 8).

Is this another reading program? If so, I'd just stick with ONE that you like and that he understands. If you hit a snag, you can always come here with your questions. Where else can you go for 24/7 help? :D

6. Is the copywork in WWE enough in a week? At her pace it's only 2 sentences!!!!!! That seems like very little.

If *only* I'd had WWE when my ds was that age!! I had him doing way too much copywork/dictation/narration. He loathed writing because of it. Ironically, his ability to think about his writing improved when I eased up on the requirements at the end of his grade 4 year. With dd9, I only use the schedule in WWE. I don't have her do any more than that, because we are working on all those individual skills in other areas, plus teaching another child. I'd say if your ds is reading (seeing the letters, punctuation, capitalization, spacing, spelling), doing spelling lessons, doing grammar lessons, then the skills practiced by copywork are getting reinforced in those other lessons. Copywork will give way into dictation in WWE2, and there will be a lot more practice of dictation. Which will also eventually merge into narration. However, if you strongly feel more copywork is needed, then go for it - it can be a means of incorporating some more science and history study. There is nothing wrong with doing more copywork, unless it becomes a frustration.

7. Can I move ahead to WWE2 without finishing WWE1? I honestly think it's easy peasy for him. BUT I know that sometimes moving ahead can backfire later.

Wait - you were wondering if the copywork in WWE 1 was enough, now you are asking about not finishing WWE 1? I'd finish out WWE 1 - the foundation of copywork is good for the coming dictation lessons, and so is the foundation of easy narration. It *will* get more challenging to his thinking. Gradually. It's better to have a good experience building the foundation than to rush through. Easy = good experience here. :D

8. Is it O.K. that things are easy? :) I want him to be challenged. He is actually MOST challenged by having to read the instructions and follow them (like in a CLE type of book or in his spelling). They require him to think and process the question. He struggles with this and I'm wondering if he needs to use something to practice that skill. Oral learning works great for him but it also reinforces some passivity (my observations here). It might be just fine for now -- I continue to grapple with this.

The parts I bolded - WWE narration will help with this. He will be doing plenty of thinking, sorting, and processing with it in the later levels. Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with oral learning. To me, putting pencil to paper is the end product of the thinking process. Oral learning is the middle of that process. So work on the middle - the end part will come in pieces, gradually, and become more of a whole later on.

Yes, it's fine that things are easy. See TengoFive's comment. :D If only I'd been schooled this way - my life would have been easier because of the ability to think clearly!!! Learning learning skills *can* be efficient and effective.

And don't worry about asking so many questions - it's how you learn. I've asked plenty, in great detail. And you sound like you have a pretty good handle on things.

I think many of us have been programmed to think learning is hard, and it doesn't have to be!

:iagree:

:) Thanks for your words of wisdom!!!!!! God has confirmed so many things for me through asking questions and hearing answers from older, wiser Moms!!

MerryAtHope, if I switch to AAS (the consensus here is that we should :) ) should I take my DS7 through Level One quickly and then move to 2? Level 1 (which I own :o ) looks sooooooo easy for him. How do you organize the cards? Mine are all prepped (and have sat) but the 3x5 card file box (I just bought a standard one from Target or Office Depot) is stuffed tight. Is there an ideal way to organize the cards (a particular box that you use)? Does each child end up needing their own tiles? What about cards? Do your children have their own sets/boxes of cards or can they share? I have a K'er who is almost ready to begin.

TengoFive,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer each specific question. I resonate with all that you've said and find that you have confirmed my "suspicions" and the way I've been leaning . . . that is HUGE! Love the blog and was very impressed with your enormous white board schedule :001_smile:

MerryAtHope, if I switch to AAS (the consensus here is that we should :) ) should I take my DS7 through Level One quickly and then move to 2? Level 1 (which I own :o ) looks sooooooo easy for him. How do you organize the cards? Mine are all prepped (and have sat) but the 3x5 card file box (I just bought a standard one from Target or Office Depot) is stuffed tight. Is there an ideal way to organize the cards (a particular box that you use)? Does each child end up needing their own tiles? What about cards? Do your children have their own sets/boxes of cards or can they share? I have a K'er who is almost ready to begin.

I'm not a wiser mom ;), but I have used AAS, ETC, FLL, and WWE with my dd5 who started reading very early. We used ETC through book 6. What reading level is your ds at now? My dd got to the point where the ETC books were more busywork than anything else, except for that last page of each lesson where they have to spell the words on their own. I figured since the spelling was the only part she was challenged with, I may as well switch to a spelling program.

I switched to AAS. Yes, level 1 is easy, but I'm glad we started from the beginning. She became much more confident in her writing after going through level 1. She would try to spell words more often where before she would just say it was too hard for her. Her spelling is slowly catching up with her reading. I love that the phonics are reviewed through the program. I would start with level 1 and go through it quickly. You could probably get through the whole level in a couple months if you spent 20 minutes a day on spelling.

As for WWE, what lesson are you on? Maybe it would make more sense to double up (do a narration and copywork each day instead of either/or) rather than jumping to level 2. I think that SWB assumes that other copywork/narration is being done in other subjects like science and history. I think the goal is for copywork and narration to be done daily from a variety of subjects.

For AAS, you would only need one set of tiles. You may want to have two sets of the cards, because each child will need to review different words/rules and it might be hard to keep track with only one set of cards. I just have mine in an index card box, it's a little tight but still manageable. :001_smile:

lovemykids is Audrey Hepburn. I will send her a link to this thread. ;)

My daughter is 7 and DH and I decided that she wasn't doing enough or being challenged enough.

1. Is FLL/WWE/spelling enough? Obviously we're reading too. I have read WTM and SWB says it is. I just feel really nervous about that and I don't see my son being challenged. Maybe he doesn't need to be yet but I am sensing a need to up the ante for him (based on a number of things I'm seeing). We felt the same way.

2. Do I need him to be able to transfer those skills yet? Does that come in the logic stage? My understanding is that it will come sometime between now and 4th grade, every kid is different. I have really seen DD take off since January.

3. If I make a switch to AAS will that reinforce phonics for him? YES!

4. Is CLE a sensible reinforcement without being overkill? Is it simply NOT needed? Not needed.

5. In lieu of that, does continuing with ETC make sense? Perhaps we should see it through to the end (would probably take us to the end of second grade if we finish through Book 8). I have found that AAS can use some supplementing if you aren't doing that naturally; I tend to.

6. Is the copywork in WWE enough in a week? At her pace it's only 2 sentences!!!!!! That seems like very little. I have upped our WWE.

7. Can I move ahead to WWE2 without finishing WWE1? I honestly think it's easy peasy for him. BUT I know that sometimes moving ahead can backfire later. What I have done is to go to the back of the book and require the same amount of work as there is at the end of WWE 1. She has them write their name and date at the top of each paper, and copy their narration after you have written it down. I am also asking her "What was this passage about?" and really working with her on that answer instead of just, "What is one thing you remember?"

8. Is it O.K. that things are easy? :) I want him to be challenged. He is actually MOST challenged by having to read the instructions and follow them (like in a CLE type of book or in his spelling). Our Star Spangled State Workbook has really done this for DD. She is blooming like crazy figuring things out on her own. I am starting to really love workbooks. Workbooks also require more writing out of her, as I don't like feeling we are behind her friends in PS. They require him to think and process the question. He struggles with this and I'm wondering if he needs to use something to practice that skill. Oral learning works great for him but it also reinforces some passivity (my observations here). It might be just fine for now -- I continue to grapple with this.

AAS is terrific. I recommend you go ahead and buy levels 1 and 2 at the same time, and as a teacher, familiarize yourself with both. Level one really gives a firm foundation but the words are very simple, you may be able to speed it up quite a bit. You will also be less tempted to jump ship if you can see more of where you are going. (I see you already have level 1, go ahead and buy level 2 now.)

I was going crazy with Language Arts, looking at so many for next year... MCT, Writing Tales, Growing with Grammar, various publishers that do it all... and decided that I really want AIO. So I am going with Phonics Road. My other plan after all of that sweating was to continue AAS, FLL and WWE. Some children need something different, but generally speaking IMO they are the best.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I would take your 7 yo through Level 1 quickly. Focus on learning all of the extra sounds for the phonograms (O has 4 sounds, CH has 3, S has 2, etc...) and segmenting, because these are skills that are used throughout, and then present the teaching in each lesson. If the words are too easy, you don't have to make your 7 yo do all of them. Pull out some sample words for him to demonstrate the concepts on, and when he's got it, move on. Sometimes kids memorize the easy words (like cat, for example) without knowing WHY it's spelled the way it is (why isn't it kat?). So you want to make sure he understands the concepts presented--that's more important than the words themselves.

One set of tiles should be plenty to start. You may be able to pass the cards to your K-er, or you may decide you want a set for each student. My kids need lots of review, so they each have their own set of cards. Some kids don't need that much review, and then moms just pass the cards on when the older one is done with them.

The first lesson of each level reviews the previously learned cards, so if you do pass them on you can "borrow" them back for just that lesson.

How I organize--I really like the $1 flip-top Sterilite boxes for them, these hold 2 full sets of cards and are much easier to get cards in and out of than one of those small card files. Here's pictures & a description of how I organize.

HTH! Merry :-)

Well I haven't used many of the things you mentioned, but I did have a couple thoughts to throw out.

-one thing for each thing. You're not trying to double up so much as to pick the most effective thing for the job. It's ok to have several components, but you don't need a lot of redundancy, not at this stage. One thing for handwriting, one thing for spelling, one thing for grammar, and so on. Don't pressure yourself into doing multiple things that hit the same skills.

-You're wise to focus on the basics. Science and history don't have to be a distraction if you catch the vision for using them to work on skills. Give him simple books he can read that go along with his history. Have him draw pictures for his narrations and write single sentence summaries underneath. Try to carry your spelling time into history. Merge things and use the content subjects to practice your skills.

I think you're wise to focus on his reading. I have no experience yet with teaching a boy to read or the timetable of boys (mine is only 16 months!), so I'm no help there. You might do some reading on that topic to see what has worked well for people. Seems like WWE helps, and I would think creating a language-rich environment, with lots of books on tape and whatnot, would help too.

-one thing for each thing. You're not trying to double up so much as to pick the most effective thing for the job. It's ok to have several components, but you don't need a lot of redundancy, not at this stage. ....Try to carry your spelling time into history. Merge things and use the content subjects to practice your skills.

:iagree:

I switched to AAS. Yes, level 1 is easy, but I'm glad we started from the beginning. She became much more confident in her writing after going through level 1. She would try to spell words more often where before she would just say it was too hard for her.

:iagree: Edited by Lovedtodeath

I don't have a lot of advice to offer here, as I looked into this thread to answer some questions that I have. :001_smile:

But, that being said ... I do have a little pearl of wisdom (that has already been mentioned in this thread). I had heard before from several people that they skipped ETC 4 and came back and did it later. I kind of thought that was ridiculous. The books are numbered for a reason, aren't they ;). Well, we just finished book 4 yesterday, after months and months of struggling. I never thought we were going to finish it. She started book 5 today. She did like 8 pages of it. We will finish it pretty fast. If I had to do it all over again (and I will b/c I've got two more coming up), I would have listened to the advice ... skipped ETC 4 gone onto ETC 5 and picked up ETC 4 later.

Just my 2 cents

Angela

. . . because of all the wonderful advice!!! Thanks so much!

Lovedtodeath, you are so fun! I read through that monster thread on The Phonics Road and THAT is what caused my eyes to :blink: bug out of my head. I learned a lot but I'm not there yet . . . I LIKE WWE, FLL, and the idea of AAS. I've recognized a tendency to be emotional about "other" curriculum and realize I need to take time with what I have FIRST. I am going to "use what I have" and take the good advice here (which, frankly, confirms my "leanings"). I am ordering AAS 2 today (DH said "Yes. Order that!"). Thank-you for confirming that I'm not alone in feeling like I do. I'm checking out the Star Spangled States too . . . studying American History is on my agenda (at least on the side :) ).

Practicing skill areas in other subjects makes perfect sense -- I've been too compartmentalized in my thinking!

Woohoo! :auto: I'm off to order AAS 2 and pull ETC5 off the shelf and ponder utilizing skills in history/science. Sigh. The fog is disappearing!

I hope you realize I wasn't trying to get you to get PR. I was just explaining why I would recommend AAS/WWE/FLL for someone else if I am not using them.

About upping the writing for WWE: That is a lot of writing all at once! We break it up with part of it in the morning and part of it in the evening. The workbook adds more writing, but she doesn't seem to notice it in that context.:blink:

I did NOT think that at all :). It was an invigorating read and I was sorely tempted to jump ship and swim over . . . But, since the FLL/WWE/hopefully AAS combo is working (and with some modifying will be more thorough for my DS) there is not a compelling reason to switch!!! Sigh. So many wonderful choices out there!!!

I will always be watching and listening to discussions though . . . I've checked out WRTR a couple of times and looked at SWR's samples/website numerous times and PR . . . . AAS seems to be similar/smaller scale and totally user friendly. I NEED that now because I am outnumbered! :D Too many kids. I did, however, order HTTS :) and I look forward to the possibilities alongside AAS. You turned me on to that resource (thanks!) and I looked into it further. It went up for sale used and I snapped it up!! We'll see. . .

Thanks for thinking things through and asking great questions! I've seen you a lot on numerous threads lately!! It's so fun!

I can't help but wonder how SWO would do with this.

HTTS is really going to help you to be familiar with all of the rules and apply them to spelling while writing in other areas.

Thanks for thinking things through and asking great questions! I've seen you a lot on numerous threads lately!! It's so fun!

LOL You can thank a broken foot and a nursing toddler.:)

Hi Katrina,

First of all, let me tell you that I am touched to be in your “short list” of experienced homeschool moms. There are many, many, wise home educators here, I am sure it’s impossible to mention them all. You are definitely in the right place for those who are academically inclined, just like yourself. It does sound like you are on the ball with your child’s education. You are paying close attention, and therefore, you are able to perceive what his needs might be. I hear that you are feeling inadequate and inexperienced but that is completely normal. Sometimes a good review of TWTM can be very helpful, and it will quickly squelch those doubts and fears. But then coming here to get encouragement can also be very comforting. And it looks like you have been given wonderful advice and that you are already feeling much better. :)

I have not used OPGTR, but I may consider it for my last child. Instead, I have used various other things and even some of my own pulled together phonics. OPGTR sounds very similar to Phonics Pathways, which I have used. It seems very complete, so using that together with ETC should be sufficient for reading and even for spelling at the young age of seven. What I would do, would be to have your son do some extra copywork to cement what he learns in phonics. You could also do dictation just to make sure he is absolutely getting it. I know that SWB recommends a spelling “program” and some children do need one, but others will get enough spelling through phonics, copywork, and dication. Susan also says that you can use a phonics program in place of spelling because “phonics is spelling backwards”. (I believe those are her words) But most people are not going to trust that, and that’s fine, I didn’t until my second student and now I see that it works wonderfully. (My 6 year old son, who is in first grade, successfully wrote all of the phrases in the examples of the first year of ASS; he has had no formal spelling program) My son has done phonics through various programs and he has used portions of ETC through ETC 3. (and I do agree with skipping ETC 4)

You are very correct when you say that every situation is unique. That is why, ultimately, you should decide what is best for your child. It’s true that some children do not learn well from oral instruction, not to say that parent’s should omit all oral lessons, but it’s okay to include more written work if you end up deciding that it is needed. Susan says over and over again to make this “WTM” method your own. That’s what it’s all about- tailoring it to fit your child.

If you feel that your son would benefit from a workbook; then buy him one. (and no, I do not think that CLE is needed) Try an inexpensive option and don’t be afraid to leave a lot of pages blank. Maybe he would enjoy doing a logic workbook, that way he would get the thinking skills you are looking for and it would still be in line with a WTM education model. Or you could wait until next year and have him start the Beginning Outlining workbook from Remedia, in addition to ETC 5, 6, and 7. There you go! Plenty of workbooks!!:D

The programs like WWE and FLL will provide a strong foundation, no worries. If you want to skip ahead to WWE 2, why not give your little guy the placement test found in the WWE textbook? Whatever you decide, rest easy and know that you are doing a wonderful job, mom.

:grouphug:

Edited by lovemykids