Menu

CLE Math LightUnit test?

HollyBee

I hope this doesn't betray me as an airhead, but here goes...

(Disclaimer: this is my first time with CLE--I just got it in.)

In CLE Math 501, in the beginning of the book under "How do I use Math 501?", it says you may want to have your students take the LightUnit Test first to see if they can skip 501 and go directly into 502. Where is the test? Is it the "Self Check A" or "B" toward the end? The table of contents says that Lesson 16 is LightUnit Test 501, but the only thing there is instructions to tell your teacher you need to review/tell your teacher when you're ready to take the test. I'm not seeing tests in the answer keys, either.

I did not buy the the teacher's guide. Wait a second...is it in there? :001_huh:

I thought I read on the boards that most do not buy those. So if that's the case, what do you do?

Oh my, I think I've used way too many words to ask this question. I'll slink away now and have more coffee...:leaving:

Holly

Edited by HollyBee

And don't feel bad, Holly. Last year was our first year (homeschooling & using CLE), and I could not find the test either. I could see the answer sheet in the teacher guide, but didn't see it in the back of the lu with the quizzes. Finally found it in the center of the light unit. Whew!

Oh wow...after dd did the test, I couldn't find the answer key! :blink:

I finally located it, though. I REALLY didn't want to have to ask where that was, too! That would have been more than my self-esteem could have taken. :lol:

Holly

Oh wow...after dd did the test, I couldn't find the answer key! :blink:

I finally located it, though. I REALLY didn't want to have to ask where that was, too! That would have been more than my self-esteem could have taken. :lol:

Holly

Holly, you're funny:lol: I'm always having trouble finding the quizzes and test in the answer keys. I finally put tabs because I was wasting so much time.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Don't feel silly at all!! I did the same thing, and so did a friend of mine (not on these boards) when she ordered CLE. It's my one little complaint - this organizational thing, but really now that I know where it all is it doesn't seem to be a biggie at all!:tongue_smilie:

Curious minds want to know how she did on the 501 test.

She did okay--84%. Not enough to skip 501. I had hoped she'd get the targeted 90%, since it's testing 4th grade material and she's halfway through 5th grade, but alas. :sad:

She did lose a lot of ground by spending a year in ps, so I'm still trying to play catch up with her. I wish the test told exactly which problems came from which section in 501 so I could just jump to those. I told her we'd just do the sections for the ones she missed. I can find it on my own, I guess, but sheesh! I'd rather have someone else do it for me! ;)

Thanks for asking!

Holly

I wouldn't worry about the "year behind" thing at all! My dd is in 4th grade and will be finishing up 300 level in April. I do hope to work her through the 400 level late spring/summer, but I'm not too worried about it. I do think CLE is advanced in scope and sequence over what they are doing in ps. And it's very thorough. We work lessons a day at least 4x week. This has us moving along pretty fast. You could try that for a while until you reach a point where you need to slow down a bit.

I think you'll really like CLE Math! I LOVE the spiral and review for my dd!!:D

Thanks for the encouragement, Amy. I'm going to be supplementing with Math Mammoth, which I really like. I thought I could go with just the mastery approach for her, but I think she really needs the spiral review. I like the way MM explains things, so I'm hoping the combination of the two will be the ticket. :) We did Singapore for a while, but it just seemed to wig her out for some reason (ds uses Singapore and does fine, though he did just hit a wall with long division).

Holly

She did okay--84%. Not enough to skip 501. I had hoped she'd get the targeted 90%, since it's testing 4th grade material and she's halfway through 5th grade, but alas. :sad:

She did lose a lot of ground by spending a year in ps, so I'm still trying to play catch up with her. I wish the test told exactly which problems came from which section in 501 so I could just jump to those. I told her we'd just do the sections for the ones she missed. I can find it on my own, I guess, but sheesh! I'd rather have someone else do it for me! ;)

Thanks for asking!

Holly

I would skip 501 if she did that well on the test because it WILL all be repeated in the 500 series.

I would skip 501 if she did that well on the test because it WILL all be repeated in the 500 series.

:iagree: And actually, we skipped 501 and didn't even take the test :lol:. Ds didn't like the format of 501 and, like you, we were using CLE for the first time. I decided it was better to skip 501 and get friendly with the curriculum than to butt heads over review material. Plus, whatever he missed from CLE 4, I didn't think we needed to catch up all of it in one light unit. But when we hit it as review in later parts of 5 we cover it. I think it works better this way because it's not all at once (i.e. potentially day after day). Clear as mud?

We are finishing up 503 (I think) and the only thing we are not very successful with are the speed drills. :001_smile:

:iagree: And actually, we skipped 501 and didn't even take the test :lol:. Ds didn't like the format of 501 and, like you, we were using CLE for the first time. I decided it was better to skip 501 and get friendly with the curriculum than to butt heads over review material. Plus, whatever he missed from CLE 4, I didn't think we needed to catch up all of it in one light unit. But when we hit it as review in later parts of 5 we cover it. I think it works better this way because it's not all at once (i.e. potentially day after day). Clear as mud?

We are finishing up 503 (I think) and the only thing we are not very successful with are the speed drills. :001_smile:

I would think that would depend on the child though. Since your dd is coming out of ps she may need some extra practice on some of those concepts. It wouldn't hurt her that's for sure.

Plus it would give her an idea of how to work through the Light units since that's a different concept all on its own ( independent work vs. teacher led that she had).

Also don't worry about her being a level behind. CLE's scope and sequence is ahead of most curriculums so there will be some advanced concepts in there that she has not yet encountered. Most children coming in from a different curriculum at least place a year behind, some even two or three. So really don't worry. Just let her work at her own pace and deal with the gaps when they come up.