Menu

Boy Scout's uniform woes: Would someone hold my hand?

My almost 11 year old has just joined a Boy Scout troop.

I am trying to order his "costume" as he puts it. (0;

My husband has been taking him to meetings but he isn't very good at remembering the details of what needs to be ordered exactly. He, like my son, say he just "needs the uniform".

I've been to the Boy Scout store online a few times and I get easily overwhelmed and confused. :D:lol:

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to order?

I'd like to know which shirt he needs and how big I should order it? (He's pretty slim- he wears a very true to size 10 in pants.)

Also, does he need/want the pants?

What about a belt or neck tie thing? Socks?

Should I be ordering numbers for his shirt/patches or will his troop do that for him?

Which book?

Anything else he'll want or need?

I don't mind spending the money but I don't want to have to be ordering more or different stuff in a month or two. I'd like to get everything he'll want for the next two years or so in one shot. We live overseas and shipping is often slow and painful.

Thanks!!!

You really need to get back to the leader and ask. Different troops make different decisions about what items are necessary - Calvin and Hobbes were both in an American overseas cub scout troop and they were only required to get the shirt and scarf. The troop leader ordered all badges. Your troop might be different.

Best wishes

Laura

You really need to get back to the leader and ask. Different troops make different decisions about what items are necessary - Calvin and Hobbes were both in an American overseas cub scout troop and they were only required to get the shirt and scarf. The troop leader ordered all badges. Your troop might be different.

Best wishes

Laura

I know you're right.

I just can't understand why they don't have a "buy the uniform" button on the website.

Ah well.

Thanks anyway!

Shirt, hat, perhaps class B tee shirt for non-formal events. Def the shirt and hat though. He will need the sash for merit badges too.

Oh dear. I didn't even know about the sash.

My son was a cub scout for three years, but I attended those meetings with him so it was easy to see what he needed.

I think my husband is going to have to do the shopping this time!

Thanks!

The reason why they don't have a "buy the uniform" button is that parts of the uniform vary. In our troop, for boards of review, we do not consider the scout in uniform if they do not have the shirt and neckerchief. The neckerchiefs can vary by troop. The troop numbers are required. In our area, the troop gives the neckerchief and numbers when the scout joins that troop. There is usually a council badge that the troop supplies as well. I would go ahead and buy the shirt and sash. You probably want the shirt a little big because your son will grow. We always encourage short sleeved shirts because you can always put a shirt on under the uniform if it is cold. If it is warm, the long sleeved shirt would be a pain. Most troops will have a class B uniform (which is basically a troop t-shirt.) This is worn at events where one might be getting really sweaty or dirty and may not want to do that to the class A uniform. Also, per BSA regulations for insurance purposes, a class A is required for traveling done as a troop.

So, when you call the Scoutmaster, here is what you ask about ... Where to get the neckerchief, neckerchief slide,, numbers, council patch and book. They may supply them or may supply only some of them and tell you what to get of the other things.

Some troops are more persnickety about the pants. Belt and hat are usually not required and I personally would not spend money on the hat. I would rather spend money on a good boonie hat which offers more sun and rain protection on campouts and high adventures. My son could never wear the BSA pants because he was too skinny and we never saw them in slims. Instead, I bought him some olive colored cargo pants in slims from Lands End, which he only wore at Boards of Review and Court of Honor. Now that he buys from the mens' department, we may get lucky and find pants, but I am still concerned that they won't be skinny and long enough.

The reason why they don't have a "buy the uniform" button is that parts of the uniform vary. In our troop, for boards of review, we do not consider the scout in uniform if they do not have the shirt and neckerchief. The neckerchiefs can vary by troop. The troop numbers are required. In our area, the troop gives the neckerchief and numbers when the scout joins that troop. There is usually a council badge that the troop supplies as well. I would go ahead and buy the shirt and sash. You probably want the shirt a little big because your son will grow. We always encourage short sleeved shirts because you can always put a shirt on under the uniform if it is cold. If it is warm, the long sleeved shirt would be a pain. Most troops will have a class B uniform (which is basically a troop t-shirt.) This is worn at events where one might be getting really sweaty or dirty and may not want to do that to the class A uniform. Also, per BSA regulations for insurance purposes, a class A is required for traveling done as a troop.

So, when you call the Scoutmaster, here is what you ask about ... Where to get the neckerchief, neckerchief slide,, numbers, council patch and book. They may supply them or may supply only some of them and tell you what to get of the other things.

Some troops are more persnickety about the pants. Belt and hat are usually not required and I personally would not spend money on the hat. I would rather spend money on a good boonie hat which offers more sun and rain protection on campouts and high adventures. My son could never wear the BSA pants because he was too skinny and we never saw them in slims. Instead, I bought him some olive colored cargo pants in slims from Lands End, which he only wore at Boards of Review and Court of Honor. Now that he buys from the mens' department, we may get lucky and find pants, but I am still concerned that they won't be skinny and long enough.

You have really helped me. My son is slim, too, and he swims in so many standard sized pants and jeans I've been leery to spend the money for the pants.

I have emailed the scoutmaster now and I feel a little better prepared to make the big purchase. I'm still going to make my husband sit down and confirm that my shopping basket is full of the right stuff.

Thanks very very much!

It's much easier for slim guys to fit in Scout pants since the pants were redesigned-----now they can be found in different waist sizes as well as length sizes. My son (a Life Scout) is 6' and 150lbs so I know about this LOL

Ds's troop is one of the largest in the area. They require full uniform at all troop events and when traveling. In winter that means the Class A shirt with neckerchief and pants/shorts. In the warmer months the boys can wear the troop's Class B shirt (which is just a tshirt) with the scout shorts. The leaders prefer the boys to wear new scout socks because they are wicking.

The troop gives each entering boy (regardless of age) the troop neckerchief and a Class B shirt. There is a large "closet" of used uniforms to fit out guys who can't afford new pieces. We had to purchase the neckerchief slide, the troop numerals and council patch,etc as well as the uniform pieces. We also purchased the merit badge sash once ds had earned more than a few merit badges.

Ds was given a copy of the Scout book by his Cub pack when he crossed over to the troop.

Like the other posters said, can you email your troop leader? You need to know the troop number, den number and council.

If you can...(it's worth the drive)...go to the Scout Shop (most big cities have one) and buy his uniform there, as opposed to online. They can help you put the whole thing together and they even have that sheet that shows you where the patches go. It's so much less confusing than trying to purchase that stuff online. They also have the book - this is important and you gotta buy it. You can see the sizes of the shirt and stuff.

It's usually a button-up shirt, belt, belt buckle, pants, bandana, bandana clip and a book. I think the hat is usually optional. There are also the patches (American flag, council patch, den no, troop no, that weird blue circle thingie).

After he starts working on patches/electives, you'll have to get clips for his belt, beads for his shirt or more patches. They also have things like the Brag Vest - which is a red vest they sew on patches they earn from extra activities (like my son shot at a gun range and got a shooting patch).

Good luck! My son absolutely loves boy scouts. He wears his uniform constantly.

Like the other posters said, can you email your troop leader? You need to know the troop number, den number and council.

If you can...(it's worth the drive)...go to the Scout Shop (most big cities have one) and buy his uniform there, as opposed to online. They can help you put the whole thing together and they even have that sheet that shows you where the patches go. It's so much less confusing than trying to purchase that stuff online. They also have the book - this is important and you gotta buy it. You can see the sizes of the shirt and stuff.

It's usually a button-up shirt, belt, belt buckle, pants, bandana, bandana clip and a book. I think the hat is usually optional. There are also the patches (American flag, council patch, den no, troop no, that weird blue circle thingie).

After he starts working on patches/electives, you'll have to get clips for his belt, beads for his shirt or more patches. They also have things like the Brag Vest - which is a red vest they sew on patches they earn from extra activities (like my son shot at a gun range and got a shooting patch).

Good luck! My son absolutely loves boy scouts. He wears his uniform constantly.

My son is joining Boy Scouts and not Cub Scouts. I don't think the BSA have a den, do they? My son was a Cub Scout for three years. When we moved,he decided to retire so he sat out the two Weblos years.

It's the transition to Boy Scouts and what he needs now that he didn't need before that's confusing me. Sigh....

I wish I could just drag him into a store, but the nearest one is a country away.

I've emailed his troop leader and ordered his shirt and book. I have a feeling I'm going to have to place another order but that's OK.

Thanks for everyone's help!

As eveyone has stated... it depends on the troop. Every uniform shirt however has the same badges. You'll need the purple circle that is the international scout badge, your troop's number badge (which some troops provide), your council badge, and your son's patrol badge. Badges of rank will be provided by the troop. Only the US flag and BSA strip come already on the uniforms, everything else will be sewn on.

Buy the shirt at least one size large. Young scouts grow fast. You want to get at least 2 to 3 years out each shirt.

Check with your Scoutmaster on all required items and when they should be worn. For our troop, you have to have a full class A uniform byt he time you go for you 1st Class Board of Review.. That includes, shirt, pants, belt, neckerchief, slide, sash, and BSA socks. My sons troop wear class A uniforms to every meeting and most camp outs. (minus the sash) They also have Troop t-shirts that are their class B uniform for camp outs and summer camp.

Also, I would recommend getting the spiral bound scout handbook and the canvas cover for it. Your son will use that book until is 18 and you want it to hold up.

I'm a Scout leader and I have two in boy scouts and two in cub scouts. Some days I am overwhelmed by number of scout uniforms in this house. :D