Menu

AAS ???

TracyP

I really like the looks of AAS. After the initial sticker shock I realized it is not bad considering I will eventually have four kids use it. So my questions are 1. Is this really geared toward kids that struggle with spelling? If my dd spells okay naturally, would I be better off with something simpler? 2. How much time does this take? The website says 20-45 min. Is that everyday? Any other info that may be helpful is very welcome too. Thanks!

We use and love AAS. Both my older two are strong spellers. I debated switching to something more simple/less teacher intensive, but have decided to stick with AAS for the following reasons:

1. My kids HATED spelling before AAS. There were tears every Friday if they got even one wrong on their test. As soon as we started AAS I started hearing, "I love spelling!" and that sold it for me!

2. Yes, it's a lot of money up front, but I'll have 4 kids going through so definitely worth it. No consumables. I believe it will have high resale value.

3. My kids are learning and retaining spelling rules very well. Since I do the lessons with them I know them too and can remind them when I see errors or they ask how to spell something. My older ds especially loves knowing the "why" behind spelling rules. He gets that with AAS.

4. He doesn't love the letter tiles, but my ds6 has very poor fine motor... the letter tiles ease up the writing.

5. The books aren't by "grade level"... it is a mastery program designed to let you move at the child's pace. Since my older two are strong spellers they move through the levels pretty quickly (we skip a lot of the review because they just don't need it, but there's a really good system for review if it's needed). My 9 y/o will probably complete the series this next year which leaves him then open to study vocabulary and Latin more.

I've just been really impressed as you can see....

ETA... we usually spend no more than 20 min. per day... we do spelling 3-days a week.

Edited by robsiew

Really? No consumables?? I thought the student books needed to be replaced for each child!! Okay, that's awesome. I'm sold.

*Almost* no consumables. Each level does have a progress chart and a completion certificate, but you can also download these for free online. Levels 3 and 5 each have a consumable booklet, but you can purchase extras of these for $2.50. There are a couple of charts that are consumable, I think one in Level 3 and one or two in level 4 (one has you list homophones). You could easily do the same thing on notebook paper, or you can contact AAS for extras. That's about it! The bulk of it is completely reusable.

Merry :-)

All About Spelling is specifically designed to help these groups of kids:

- Kids who need remedial spelling help, whether they are behind or struggle to keep up in spelling

- Those who never learned the spelling rules

- New beginning spellers, to prevent spelling problems

If your natural-speller-dd is upper elementary or Jr. High, she may not need AAS, though some kids who want to learn all the rules still enjoy it. An upper elementary student might know how to most of the words in levels 1-4 but might enjoy learning the keys and ways spelling works in our language. But if she is in lower elementary, it could still be very useful. The review is easy to customize so you can do as much or as little as each student needs.

I spend 15 minutes for my 5th grader, and 20 for my 7th grader, and we do it daily (but they are using it remedially).

HTH! Merry :-)

Thank you! I think I'm sold. I'll admit it didn't take much. I have been following the PR thread and it is tempting but not doable for me. I love the looks of AAS! I also like knowing the rules since I'm a fairly good speller but I have no idea why so I feel a little at a loss at what to tell dd. Where is that party icon? That is what I feel like right now.:D:D

I have been following the PR thread and it is tempting but not doable for me.
I meant that there was information about AAS in the PR thread. :) I have been singing AAS praises over there.

AAS does take a little bit of a learning curve... to know how much review your kid needs. You will also be tempted to speed it up too much or add to it. We were about 80% through level one before we really got into a good groove with it, so don't take a look at it and decide you don't like it and don't give up! You'll end up loving it if you use it as it is written and stick to it for a while.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

All About Spelling is specifically designed to help these groups of kids:

- Kids who need remedial spelling help, whether they are behind or struggle to keep up in spelling

- Those who never learned the spelling rules

- New beginning spellers, to prevent spelling problems

If your natural-speller-dd is upper elementary or Jr. High, she may not need AAS, though some kids who want to learn all the rules still enjoy it. An upper elementary student might know how to most of the words in levels 1-4 but might enjoy learning the keys and ways spelling works in our language. But if she is in lower elementary, it could still be very useful. The review is easy to customize so you can do as much or as little as each student needs.

I spend 15 minutes for my 5th grader, and 20 for my 7th grader, and we do it daily (but they are using it remedially).

HTH! Merry :-)

Merry, I can't believe your son is in the 7th grade and mine will be next year. It seems like yesterday our children were in 2nd grade. My how time does go by fast.

I meant that there was information about AAS in the PR thread. :) I have been singing AAS praises over there.

AAS does take a little bit of a learning curve... to know how much review your kid needs. You will also be tempted to speed it up too much or add to it. We were about 80% through level one before we really got into a good groove with it, so don't take a look at it and decide you don't like it and don't give up! You'll end up loving it if you use it as it is written and stick to it for a while.

I knew what you meant.:001_smile: You are the one who convinced me. I was hoping you would answer me here. Thank you so much.

It is really funny to me how reading other threads (PR and Aubrey's LA thread specifically) can be so helpful to see what would and wouldn't work for me. I am so glad to have found this place.:D

I know that I want Level 1 and 2 for my dd. I think she will go through Level 1 quickly. I want to start now with her. But I don't know what to do with ds. He is reading Bob books, early readers right now. Should I start Level 1 with him next year? now? the year after(1st grade)? Should I order him his own material packet?

I know that I want Level 1 and 2 for my dd. I think she will go through Level 1 quickly. I want to start now with her. But I don't know what to do with ds. He is reading Bob books, early readers right now. Should I start Level 1 with him next year? now? the year after(1st grade)? Should I order him his own material packet?

I would probably take your daughter through level 1 and then pass her material packet on to your son. Unless you find that she needs extra review of some concepts, you'll probably be fine passing it on, especially if she's a natural speller. The first step of every level has you review previously-learned cards, so you'll want to "borrow" the cards back for that step.

If you had a child who needed more ongoing review, then I'd say to work at least 2 levels apart, or consider getting each their own packet.

If someone is unsure, I'd say start with one packet. You can always get another packet later on.

As for when to start your son, you could probably start him casually when you want to. Here's a readiness article. Keep it light & fun at the younger ages!

Merry :-)