Menu

Website Advice?

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to create a really good, professional looking website without having to spend a ton of money???

I know nothing about creating one myself and I don't know if there are websites on the internet that can actually help me with this either.

All I know is that I do not have a lot of money to pour into having a website, but I would love to get one if I start a new business (photography).

Let me know if this is a possibility or if I am just dreaming. : )

I keep our homeschool basketball team at webs.com. It is free, though we fork out the amount for no ads because it is very nominal. If I remember correctly, it cost about $14 per year or so.

If you want to look at ours, here is the link. LCHS Athletics They have lots of designs to choose from so I would try it.

Alot of the companies where you "buy" your website will have a ton of templates that walk you through creating a website.

For example, if you buy your website via Yahoo...there's a two different options to setting it up...One is the templates, which are supposed to be super easy for newbies...and one is a more advanced software for someone who is already more experience. This is where I bought our website, because I wanted the reputation that comes with Yahoo (our website address does not have "Yahoo" in it), as far as legit company with legit support. I tried using both options, and STIll did not get what I wanted...I didn't want the standard templates, seemed boring, and couldn't figure out how to do the other.

Worked many months on this....all over the internet....have website, it's still not EXACTLY what I want....probably going to end up paying someone to make it look like just want I want...now just need to find the person to do that at the right price :(.

Figure out exactly what you want. Read 'The Big Red Fez' by Seth Godin. Pay attention to what you like or dislike about websites you visit.

Then either learn how to build it yourself, which is truly not that hard unless you want online payments, or hire someone to do it for you. Cheapest way to find someone is using a service such as rent-a-coder or elance - these services allow you to put a job out to tender and provide a framework for completion & payment.

I design websites and do all my coding in Notepad - meaning I write it all from scratch. Depending on what you want, you could learn to do it yourself, but it may not be an easy task. You also have to think about graphics, etc. and how to design those.

PM if you have any questions. I'd be happy to try and help.

The software I use is very easy, you don't have to know a bit of code! It is Freeway Express, $79. They are also very helpful, and they have a good online help section first, but if you can't figure something out, they will e-mail you. They have a lot of nice examples of websites made with their software.

Also, I really like my WebHosting company, Hosting Matters. You get a website address for $15 a year and prices start at $6/mo, that's probably all you'll need. They also answer even idiotic questions (the ones I ask when my husband is extremely busy or out of town) without making you feel stupid. (Ask me how I know!)

I think it's worth paying a bit not to have any ads, it looks much more professional.

The nice thing about doing it yourself is that you can add things anytime you like, it's really easy once you get used to the software.