Menu

Anyone have experience starting or having a photography business???

Hello,

I am VERY interested in starting my own photography business, but I really don't know where to begin. All I know is that I love, love, love photography.

I have taken photos for a few families in the past, but nothing too major.

I really need to know the steps for starting out. I think this could be a great business for me. I run an in home childcare right now, but I know that I don't want to do that for always.

I would be interested in family and child photography. I also LOVE to do nature photography, but I don't know if there is any money in that.

Does anyone have any recommendations for great websites or books to look at regarding getting started??? I have NO idea what to charge people, plus I don't know much about posing people, etc.....

I want to do this out of my home. I might like to have a small studio of some kind, but I REALLY love taking photos outside and that they be more candid shots rather than posed. Of course, I could do a mix of both.

Also, how much does it cost on average to begin? I have a Nikon D50 SLR digital camera right now. I really enjoy it, but I don't know if I need something more right now.

Please help me so that I can get this dream of mine going in the right direction. I really don't want to keep putting this off. I have allowed the fear of the unknown and the fear of what it might cost to prevent me from doing this, but I don't want that anymore. I want to make my dream job happen!

Any suggestions, advice, great ideas???? All are welcome!!! :001_smile:

Hi,

I had a photography business before we moved, and will probably start one back up again once my life isn't quite so hectic.

It can cost as little or as much as you'd like to start up. The more money you spend on advertising, the more business you get. I would advise starting out slow though. You can get busy very quickly, and you don't want to get in over your head.

Make sure you obtain the proper business licenses, and tax id numbers. Keep records and pay your taxes on time. It's easier than it sounds.

Set up a website, and make it grab your customers. If you don't own Photoshop, make that your first purchase and learn how to use it.

PM me if you have any more questions, or need website help :)

Dh and I have a small photo illustration business, so more for magazine and newspaper photos, not so much portraiture. I would suggest getting clear on whether you want to specialize in candids or posed, or whatever, then you can pursue that style primarily during your building phase when you are doing some free work or exhibiting things you choose.

You might first try apprenticing to a local portrait studio to get a feel for the business end of things. You could also pick one or two special events to focus on as you are beginning, such as weddings and anniversaries or whatever. Another good way to get your name out there is to give your services as a gift to a local charity auction or as a prize. Then you would go and take photos of the winner. Be sure to enter some super photos in your county fair--people do look at those things. You could also specialize in doing birthday parties and for a certain fee per guest, do a photo of the birthday child and the guest as a 2-shot, then print two, one for the birthday child and the other for the guest to take home. Another idea might be to advertise that you take school photos and senior photos of homeschoolers. I would set up in a local park or other scenic location and be prepped to print off an 8x10 and also a bunch of those little wallet sizes. Poke around at your nearest professional photography shop. Their merchandise can give you some great ideas of products to create or ways to market yourself.

If you are serious about this, watch your area stores for great deals on photo frames or really nice photo albums (close outs). A friend of ours does portraits and she sells an amazing amount of these at top dollar to customers who seem to feel that buying it from her somehow makes a normal frame "better".

I would definitely say to start small. Get some business cards, develop a rate sheet, and then go for it. But I would also encourage you to focus to get your business off the ground. Schedule and devote an hour a day or whatever to it. Keep that as a regular appointment and make sure your dc and dh know that during that time you are "at work" and not to be disturbed. You might also teach your dc to answer the phone in a professional manner. My dd answers with our last name ("Smiths', who's calling, please?") every time it rings and most clients just think I have a very young sounding secretary;). Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions or just want to chat more about this.

As with any business, word of mouth is the best. You run a daycare out of your home so you have plenty of models. :001_smile:

Props are always fun but not required. A second camera body with lens is usally a must have you don't want to be at a shoot and have your main stop working and nothing to pick up and finish with. A website is almost a must have for photography, but a blog does just as well with constent updates and new photos.

Things I have wasted my money on thus far, backdrop and backdrop stand and cheap light set up. I will be upgrading to the Alienbees soon but need to have more money coming in, and I find that natural light is what most want anyway so not in a huge hurry. Some kind of photo editing software is needed too, I use Photoshop, there are a ton of tutorials out there.

If you shoot on location a studio will never be needed just pick parks or go to homes. How much to begin, really I would say about $5000 for all the lenses, bodys, props, lighting, and advertising. If you aren't in a hurry start slow use what you have and make any proceeds pay for new gear.

With your daycare you could offer the parents pictures twice a year at $15 child, most will take this. This can then carry over to other local daycares when you have a good set up.Craigslist is a great place to advertise and get people to your site.

Here is one website that I frequent to read and get lots of information, www.photocamel.com this site is nice and most are usually polite.

www.mothergoosephoto.com that is my site, a work in progress for sure. So far so good. I can't pay the morgage with what I make but I can pay for our school and side projects. I schedule 2 shoots a week and take most weekends off. If I am shooting on a weekend, its a wedding and I love, love, love weddings.

I wish you lots of luck.

Just a little encouragement...My husband is a nature photographer. His website is forestwander.com. All of his pictures are free for business or personal use because that is what God led him to do. People have put his pictures in books and calendars and even on the cover of CDs. He makes money from the ads on his site, so yes you can make money that way. He does this in his spare time since he still works full time. But if he had his choice, he would do nature photography full time. He does get offers for photography jobs such as weddings but he says he doesn't know how to photograph people so he turns them down.

As far as advice goes, I agree that you should invest in photoshop and the most decent camera you can right now. My husband started out with a less expensive camera and gradually worked his way up to a really nice one. If you've never used photoshop, be patient with yourself. It is really great to use but you have to learn a little at a time because it can do so many things. Don't let it overwhelm you.:001_smile:

Good luck and God Bless!

Thanks so much for the responses and suggestions. I definitely plan on starting out slowly. I want to really to know what I am doing before I take the plunge.

Of course, I am still doing my childcare business too. I will continue doing that while I educate myself more on what it takes to begin a photography business.

Maybe if I do take it slow at first, I can eventually wean myself out of childcare and do the photography as my main source of income. I have lots to learn though before that happens. : )

This is exciting for me and I need this in my life right now. Thanks again for those who have offered help. I would love to hear from more people on this too.

Have a wonderful day!!! :D