Menu

X-post: LAC vs. state uni, pros and cons (thanks for weighing in!)

Halftime Hope

So we're in a situation where dd has earned great merit scholarships but they will not cover the entire cost of her education at a LAC. She would have to go into some debt or a lot of debt, depending on the school, to pay for her education. We have saved quite a bit for her, but not nearly enough to cover the entire cost. The EFC is laughable.

She has earned enough scholarship $ at the local uni to entirely cover her tuition this year and by the end of four years, it might still cover the major portion of the tuition, if tuition increases continue at the projected rate. At the uni she would be in the honors program (which has some decent perks, like priority enrollment), and it has a respected, accredited program in art, but that is not her main passion: biblical studies/ministry/pastoral studies are. To be fair though, she is thinking about double majoring in art and ministry at a LAC.

She thinks she wants to go to seminary and eventually become a chaplain or perhaps do some kind of counseling, although she has thought about art therapy. All options would require a masters degree and more $$, although, surprisingly, seminary tuition seems to run quite a bit less than undergrad work.

I am all emotional about the problem that her heart's desire in a major, her peers, her mentors are *not* at the uni but at the LAC. Dh, who went to the uni and found his career niche there in a very different world 30 years ago, points out that one way to achieve her final goal without being manacled with debt is to do the uni for undergrad and then pursue her grad degreee with more freedom. (Thirty years, but the realities of $ haven't changed.)

CC: I'm really torn over this, because dh has a good track record of wisdom and discernment in bringing things to the table for us to decide on together. I, on the other hand, am very often motivated by fear.

Will you brainstorm this with me? Arguments pro and con? We are going to have this discussion over the next few weeks as financial aid packages come rolling in and she has to start making tough decisions.

ETA2: She knows what the state uni is like, as she has already taken 18 hours there. She'd most likely live at home. From an emotional and maturity standpoint, she is ready to spread her wings. It could be argued that making this choice for financial reasons, a la Dave Ramsey, would be the ultimate in maturity, but there is so much more than just $.

I'm sorry, I don't know what an LAC is, but here's my take on your situation w/o that knowledge--

My husband is an Episcopal priest. He could have majored in religion or missions or the like, then gone on to Seminary (all Episcopal priests have an M.Div and an undergrad degree), but he chose to use his time as an undergrad to go broader--he majored in psychology, knowing the counseling aspect would come in handy. (He then went on after Seminary to specialize in New Testament, getting his Ph.D.) It seems like a really good path.

I would counsel your child to take a useful major in undergrad--maybe a language, psychology, history, literature--something that will bring a richness to her ministry.

So, I'd say go to the full-ride uni this time around, get involved in campus ministry (Campus Crusade, for example, is excellent--provided it fits with your theology of course--and would allow her to experience many mission opportunities around the world and with many different groups), and develop as a person before she specifically develops the skills of a missionary/ministry worker.

After a year or two, (or even right away) why not let her get an apartment on or near campus, perhaps with other like-minded young people? She can stretch her wings that way. It doesn't cost that much--at least, it's pretty close to living in the dorms. Or, let her live in the dorms for a year or so. There's no reason you need to link living at home with going to university.

Now, this may be completely useless info--b/c I don't know what the LAC is! lol But I hope it helps.

I do know what a LAC is (Liberal Arts College) and think with the major she is considering and the career path she is desiring where she won't be well paid, that taking on major debt is not wise. I agree with Chris and think that university plus living in a dorm or apartment may be the answer. It may be a bit more expensive (though remember that living at home isn't free- I know since I have one living at home and finishing college). Among the savings you may have is transportation, food and the extras you end up providing your college student that you wouldn't if they were living at home. Things like paying for them to go to a restaurant with you or the movies with you when you all go out as a family. Especially since she has already racked up almost a year worth of work, I think it is important for her to transition to adult life by spending more time at campus even if she is living at home. THis is particularly true for someone who is considering any type of ministry.