Menu

Traveling long distance for VBAC doctor?

OK, so I've asked a few pregnancy questions and I have one more. My husband and I are currently living with my in-laws temporarily. My husband just graduated with his Bachelor's and will be starting medical school in the fall. We will then be moving 3 and half hours away in order to be closer to the school.

I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and am due about 2 months after we move. Right now, I live in an area where there is a VBAC ban in all the hospitals, so no doctors will even consider it. I'm not too worried about that, because where we are moving allows VBACs at all the hospitals. What I'm worried about is being able to find a VBAC friendly doctor who will take me at 7 months pregnant when we get there.

I have found the doctor that I want who is very highly recommended, but he's sort of hard to get an appointment with. So I'm considering going ahead and switching to him now in order to guarantee that I'll have a good doctor when the time comes. This would require traveling 7 hours round trip for all my appointments (about 4 or 5 times).

Do you think this is worth it? Do you think I should stay with my currently VBAC unfriendly doctor and risk getting a so-so doctor when we get to medical school? I'm the sort of person who is afraid to stand up to someone who knows more about a subject than me. Doctors are a little intimidating to me (which is funny since my husband's going to be on :001_smile:) so having a doctor I can trust is something that would help me a lot.

Mostly I'm just looking for some advice. What would you do?

I'd make the appointment with the dr. you really want to deliver and let him know how inconvenient your appointments are going to be. They may be able to work with you on the # of appointments. My doc knew I had 3 children to arrange care for during my last pregnancy, so they spaced the appointments our further than typical. If you need anything you can always call. However one thing you may consider is having a local ob/gyn available to see you too as well. I can't imagine traveling a long way if I was spotting, cramping and needing medical attention soon. Your doctor that is in the new town may be able to work with a local ob/gyn. I'm sure you are not the first person to move during a pregnancy.

I would contact the VBAC dr's office and let them know the situation. Perhaps even make an appointment to meet him and talk to him personally about it. He may be open to taking you on later in your pregnancy if he knows you are getting prenatal care and can have records sent to him. It would be different if you haven't seen anyone at all for care, then move and want someone to take you on at 7mo.

I think something to check on is whether 2 surgeons are required by the hospital to be available for a VBAC. It has been a while since I looked into it (I decided against) but hospitals at that time who allowed it in theory still felt that there had to be 2 surgeons (available but presumably not in the room, but more than just on call).

That's not policy everywhere.

What I've experienced here is that the dr. doing the VBAC needs to be able to to c/s. If he/she doesn't they must have someone who is able do back-up for him/her.

Usually it is protocol for the Dr. to be on-site when he/she has a VBAC patient laboring. Which is one reason why they tell women, "Come to the hospital as soon as you are in labor."

What I've experienced here is that the dr. doing the VBAC needs to be able to to c/s. If he/she doesn't they must have someone who is able do back-up for him/her.

Usually it is protocol for the Dr. to be on-site when he/she has a VBAC patient laboring. Which is one reason why they tell women, "Come to the hospital as soon as you are in labor."

My experience was close to this. I've had 3 VBA2C. With one of those, I had my family practice doctor who also does OB, follow me for the first 8 months. Then I transfered to an OB for the last 4 weeks. My family practice doctor did discuss it with the OB when I was about 20 weeks. BUt due to other medical stuff I had, it was better for the family doctor to follow me as long as possible because she could manage all my care where as the OB could only address the pregnancy and not the other stuff.

My appointments the last 4 weeks were at awful times for my schedule but I know that would be the case since I was switching in so late.

The other 2 times I had an OB the entire pregnancy.

I'm not sure what the protocol was for the hospital and staffing requirements. I was STRONGLY encouraged to have another c-section with the 2nd and 3rd VBAC's but I refused since my 1st was so easy. But my guess is the hospital wanted the doctors to limit VBAC's.

To the original poster. No I would not switch now. I can't imagine spending a full day traveling for all my appointments. I would call the new doctor now, make an appointment and see them, make sure you like them, and check they are okay with you coming later on. If they are okay with it, you could book those appointments for the last 2 months now, and would be assurred a spot in their schedule. Then you could continue to see your current doctor now.

I would contact the VBAC dr's office and let them know the situation. Perhaps even make an appointment to meet him and talk to him personally about it. He may be open to taking you on later in your pregnancy if he knows you are getting prenatal care and can have records sent to him. It would be different if you haven't seen anyone at all for care, then move and want someone to take you on at 7mo.

I agree. I think calling the office and talking to him personally are your best bets. See what the doctor is willing to do for you.

I agree, hospital policies vary.

My son is 8 and was born in Germany (eldest was vaginal, middle was c-section due to a freak thing) but when I had my vbac with him the midwives tried to send me home at 3 cm because they didn't believe I was in labor. He was born 2 hours later. Anecdotal, a foreign country and 8 years ago, I know.:D :tongue_smilie:

Hi :)

I also wanted to share something with you. My first three births were sections, my last three were VBAC's. For my first VBAC, my problem was not with the OB....it was with the my NURSE in the hospital. It is a miracle I VBAC'd, I was so upset and stressed out!! My nurse was MAD at me and MAD at my OB!! They continuously sent the anesth. in to prep me for an *emergency section*....I continuously sent him away.

They finally gave me an ultimatum, 15 minutes to push him out...or else! I pushed him out, ready or not, in FIVE.

My last two VBAC's were quite pleasant....AT HOME...with a midwife. :)

So, all that to say, just because your OB is pro-vbac does not mean that you, or he, will get your way. I recommend having a strong person with you who is willing to be your advocate and speak to the nursing staff. If it weren't for my friend doing that, I don't know what would have happened. It was very upsetting!!

Well, I've decided to do it. I got in with a very highly recommended doctor. Both midwives and previous VBAC patients recommend him. I don't mind driving long distances, and am looking forward to my "adventure". I'm glad I looked into this now, too, because they don't take new patients that are as far along as I would be when we moved there. Inconvenient, yes. But the peace of mind I already feel will make it worth it, I think. Thanks for your imput!