Menu

Next stop Omaha. Any restaurant suggestions?

DH and I used to live in Omaha, but it has been 8 years now, so I'm not sure how current these are!

Gorat's is a good steakhouse - Warren Buffet used to go there sometimes. It's pretty simple - go for the steak, and not much else. But some of the best steak you've ever had.

The Flatiron was one of our favorite restaurants when we lived there. It's downtown.

Another good one was called Vivace (I think), in the Old Market.

Johnny's Cafe (near the stockyards? I remember driving past them to get there...) was a favorite of my grandparents. I remember it more as a steakhouse than a cafe, and that's what it seems to be billed. I haven't been there since I was about ten.

Caniglia's was my parents' favorite. The original restaurant has closed, but they have another location open, supposedly. Great Italian food.

Bohemian Cafe was a favorite of my mom's parents. Another long-established restaurant. I really don't remember much about it, though. Last time I remember going there, it was with my great-grandma, and I was probably five. I remember getting really good chicken soup or chicken and dumplings, maybe. It might not be open any more-the link is broken, so that might be less than helpful :tongue_smilie:.

edited: found reviews of Bohemian Cafe online, no info as to whether they're still open, though. No wonder mom's parents and my great grandma loved the place -great grandma immigrated to the US from Czechoslovakia when she was a girl :).

Edited by 4mkfam

Long-time lurker chiming in here since I live in Omaha...

So, what type of place are you looking for (price, experience, cuisine, etc.)? It's really hard to get a bad steak in this town, and there are tons of choices depending on your price range and what part of town you'll be in. Are you up for something more exotic? Espana is a great Spanish,small-dish,tapas restaurant. I'll second the Flatiron as a great choice. Omaha surprisingly has a lot of variety in the restaurant scene. It seems everyone is out to eat Friday and Saturday nights.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Long-time lurker chiming in here since I live in Omaha...

So, what type of place are you looking for (price, experience, cuisine, etc.)? It's really hard to get a bad steak in this town, and there are tons of choices depending on your price range and what part of town you'll be in. Are you up for something more exotic? Espana is a great Spanish,small-dish,tapas restaurant. I'll second the Flatiron as a great choice. Omaha surprisingly has a lot of variety in the restaurant scene. It seems everyone is out to eat Friday and Saturday nights.

We're in town for a skating competition and will be near the skating rink. (Is there more than one rink? It's near 680 and Pacific St.) We're okay with traveling a little ways though. We'll be eating with the coach and several other families, so it needs to be family friendly. I'd like to have a couple choices to suggest and let them pick. We all like good food and are looking for local places, not chains.

:hurray: Southwest Omaha...The Farmhouse at 82 and Center is fabulous for families right next to a giant hobby shop called Mangelsen's. There are some great restaurants in the Old Market Area as well for families. Spaghetti Works is awesome and reasonable. If you have time for an intimate lunch you must go to M's Pub for some of the most delicious soups and salads with a little sip of wine. It is good for digestion correct?? My favorite is Lo Solo Mio, it is in south Omaha where you cannot help but smile at the lighted mini grottos to Mary and plastic Jesus lawn staturary abound Italian and Polish Catholic neighborhoods filled with charm and little old ladies . Obviously I spend way too much time over there, family business started in the area and still love it . :lol: Links provided

http://www.mspubomaha.com/

http://www.farmhousecafe.com/

http://www.losolemio.com/ Menus and maps as well.

Have a lovely time and enjoy the event!!

Upstream is fabulous, and there are 2 locations: one in the Old Market area, and one at 168th and Center .(Pacific and Center run parallel to each other. Take Pacific west to 168th, then turn left and until Center. Turn right and go to -I think- the next stoplight. You'll see Upstream on your left, set back a bit from the street.) It's a microbrewery, and their food is fantastic. They also have a fabulous breakfast/brunch buffet on weekends.

Dodge St. has all of the traditional chain restaurants (Texas Roadhouse, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.). Take Pacific west until you get to I-680. Take I-680 north just a short ways until you get to Dodge Rd. exit. Most restaurants are west on Dodge. PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory are east a block or so. (In the Van Maur mall)

I'll also second the Old Market suggestions. There are lots of international restaurants there. They may be kind of pricey, but I'm not sure. I've eaten at Upstream (family favorite) but not the others.

Have fun! We love living in Omaha! It's a great city to visit. Too bad it's so cold! :)

You've gotten some awesome suggestions so far. I'll add in some more off the wall ones for some variety. All are local, great food, and family-friendly for kids above age 5 or so.:001_smile:

Taste is my favorite restaurant in the 680 & Pacific area. Small-dish, amazing ingredients, but still affordable. During the week you can get 4 courses for $22. No kids menu, but they are very accommodating. My 7 year old loves it.

Espana is more of a lively place. It's tucked away and doesn't look like much, but the food is great. On the weekend they tend to have live flamenco music and sometimes dancers. Slightly more expensive.

Dario's Brasserie is a laid-back French restaurant, if that's possible. More reasonably priced and far less formal than the Old Market favorite, The French Cafe. (Although I also love the French Cafe!)

Almost all Old Market places are great and there is something for almost every price range and taste. Cheap Mexican (Trini's), good sushi (Blue), casual tex-mex (Stokes), fancy steaks (Omaha Prime and Passport), and Vivaci (Italian) just to name a few.

OK, now I'm hungry!:tongue_smilie:

http://www.tastedining.com/

http://www.espanaomaha.com/

http://www.dariosbrasserie.com

http://www.oldmarket.com/

:lol: Only in the Midwest could we all name 4-5 restaurants that we love. I totally forgot the Upstream that Hillary suggested and it is excellent. The Bohemian Cafe is still open on south 6th or 7th street . http://www.bohemiancafe.net/ It still is yummy and yes, you can get rabbit there. Dario's has been reviewed favorably by some fierce foody friends . The French Cafe while good is inconsistent. In case you have not guessed Omaha has a huge number of really amazing diverse places to eat. If you like Indian food there is a great place in the Old Market called The Indian Oven that has bread beyond your wildest dreams stuffed with onions and shrimp or potatoes and peas toasted in a huge tandoor oven... I am just amazed and delighted to see how many WTMers are in Omaha. You must tell us where you eventually do dine.

Edited by elizabeth
forgot link ...just dizzy from yummy food banter

My suggestions are more for fast food.

These are my 'Nebraska' foods that I must have when I am there.

Runza - great hamburgers and runza sandwiches

Taco John's - lots of other places besides NE but we don't have them out here

Valentino's - my favorite pizza in the whole world.

mmmm, I'm going to NE in May, can't wait to eat my yummy foods.

I got great ideas for Chicago restaurants from you guys. Anyone got any Omaha favorites? Thanks.

We ate some great BBQ at a restaurant downtown, in the antique district, not far from an Embassy Suites. I think it was a Famous Dave's which seems to be a chain. I just remember that it was some of the best pulled pork ever.

We don't go out to eat much but you can't go wrong in the Old Market! Lots of neat places to eat. My fav's are boring though-Chili's, Applebees and sometimes Village Inn! =) Brother Sebastian's is also good but if I remember right, kind of pricey.

I thought taste was off I-680 and Center near 108th st (in rockbrook Village) but I could be wrong-they were super yummy too.