Menu

Need a curriculum for teaching history cycles?!

3browneyedboys4me

Ok, here is the problem:

I love teaching classical history w/ the cycles. I started this with Classical Conversations for two yrs. After two yrs, I decided I didn't like the rigour of the program and wanted something diff. but still enjoyed the cycled history. So, we did Tog last year. Loved TOG but felt it was too heavy for my kids (11,8,7). Basically, I just didn't know when to shut up- lol! I felt like it covered so much info, and I needed to discuss every, single aspect of it. This year we took a break to study the continents, but now, I'm looking at next year. I had planned on using MFW, but now, I've noticed HOD. It's very interesting! I see that they incorporate other subjects but it looks easy enough to work around if you choose your own curriculum.

So, my question is, are there programs out there that JUST teach history cycles? I have MOH, TOG, and SOTW, anything else? What I really like are the programs like MFW and TOG, but like I said, I think TOG is just too much for me, and MFW sounds great but also teaches so many other subjects that I don't need. I really like the structure they give and the book baskets w/great literature. I lean toward a CM approach for schooling. HOD has really got my attention! It looks great and they have a new RtoR cycle. However, it appears to be expensive and I don't really know anything about it.

Does anything else sound like it might be a good fit? We will be studying RtoR next year, if that helps!

Thanks in advance,

Bethany

We love SOTW here. It's easy to use, inexpensive, easy to supplement with living books (lists of books and comprehension questions are in the activity guide), and has project ideas and map activities in the AG. For literature Ive been writing my own program with classic books suggested in the WTM that generally correspond to each chapter of SOTW. :)

Have you looked at the online self-paced VP class? There's only OTAE right now, but they should have all of the history classes available by Fall. There's a free week to preview online. We watched it this week and loved it. Not too heavy (but you could add lots of reading to it). It does cost $250 for the year (ouch), but we really like it. Trying to figure out if we can make it work with our budget.

This year, we've done a modified version of CC at home and MFW. It works well. The mellowness of MFW tempers the rigors of CC. I'm just wondering if doing the VP online course (with bookbasket and projects from the teacher manual) would provide a more cohesive history backbone.

I'm also going to look over Biblioplan. I think I might be ok with just a book that offers book lists for each cycle. Is there such a thing? :)

Thanks!

Bethany

Truthquest! That's what we're going to try next year! They have guides for 1st - 12th grades.

Have you tried the SOTW activity books, or just the text? The activity books have lists of additional history reading and literature suggestions for each chapter.
I was wondering the same thing. There are two books that people use for literature linked to time period. One is All Through the Ages. I can't recall the other at the moment.

I think I "LOVE" history odyssey! I can't explain it, but it just seems to click with me. It has a great format. I just love the way the lessons are laid out in a pre lesson , lesson, suggested reading, etc. It appears to be exactly what I am looking for....I still have many other sources I woud like to investigate.

Lovedtodeath...thank you SO much for commenting on All Thru the Ages. Someone mentioned that yesterday, but I couldn't remember it when I got home! Now, I can do even more research!;)

I have not used the AB w/SOTW. That certainly might be an option.:001_smile:

Bethany

that has a list of good literature books to go w/the history. My kids adore listening to the cd's but I would like a bit more real history in there. Ya know?

Bethany

Have you tried the SOTW activity books, or just the text? The activity books have lists of additional history reading and literature suggestions for each chapter.

:iagree:You have to see the SOTW Activity Guide. It has exactly what you are asking for. It is very similar to History Odyssey level 1. History Odyssey level 2 has more scheduling done for you.