Menu

Reading recommendations

Maurrean

Hi Ladies. I'm in need of recommendations of books to buy/check out for my new reader. She's in the 4th level of Bob Books, and is in lesson 54 of The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. She does well in the Bob Books, but I'm looking for more experience in this same reading level. She can read blends well enough (sh, st, nt, etc.), but doesn't need to be reading compound words yet. Seems many of the books i've seen skip around in the words they introduce - using words like 'someone' and 'intelligent' in a level 1 reader.

Recommendations?

Look in your library for simple level 1 readers. You are right, they seem to have little rhyme or reason. Just tell your reader what the word is if it is one she has not learned yet - as long as most of the words are those she is learning/knows, it will serve the purpose.

I am very surprised that she can read past the first 2 levels of Bob books if she is only on lesson 54 though...they go up to a pretty high level (long vowels and everything)...

I really have no rhyme or reason for how i'm teaching her to read, but I've held her back in the Bob books. Lesson 54 still isn't into suffixes like er, ly, ness yet - but the Bob Books are.

There seems to be a huge gap between the "Bob" type readers, and the next step - the levelized readers.

I've given her one or two of those, which has words like "kitchen" in it - words that use phonetics that haven't been introduced yet. I'm guessing she's memorizing the words, and not understanding 'why' it says what is says.

You guys dont see a problem with that? No snarkiness here, I'm really asking.

Google search "We Both Read" books and see which ones your library has. On the left page is the part the parent reads, on the right page is the part the student reads. My boys loved these. The simplest ones just have a word or two on the right side and moves up to paragraphs. The non-fiction ones are interesting but advance quickly.

The leveled readers are not based on phonics, they are based on sight words. Until you teach the sight words phonetically, I would not use them, it can lead to guessing problems down the line. There are some good phonetic readers out there, here is a thread, 5 pages full of readers:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152602&highlight=readers+bob+gaydos

(Although some of them are sight word based--the level 1 books, some of the Dr. Suess books, Dick and Jane.)

The Beehive Reader looks good, and there are always the 1879 McGuffey's, free online from Gutenberg. As a bonus, difficult words are phonetically marked before each story.

I also thought it was a hard transition from Bob to other stuff. I finally bought the Sonlight set of readers and the BJU 1st grade set of readers (long story.... ) :)

I like the Sonlight readers too and we used their "brand-specific" set of 3 books, but for whatever reason, we settled on reading through the BJU set. About halfway through the BJU 1st grade set, she started wanting to just read books and I let her have at it and she's done well.

I really have no rhyme or reason for how i'm teaching her to read, but I've held her back in the Bob books. Lesson 54 still isn't into suffixes like er, ly, ness yet - but the Bob Books are.

There seems to be a huge gap between the "Bob" type readers, and the next step - the levelized readers.

I've given her one or two of those, which has words like "kitchen" in it - words that use phonetics that haven't been introduced yet. I'm guessing she's memorizing the words, and not understanding 'why' it says what is says.

You guys dont see a problem with that? No snarkiness here, I'm really asking.

I did Bob books sets 1 & 2 and then straight to set 5 (long vowel sounds) for the same reason you said (OPG hadn't gotten to sets 3 & 4). By the time we got to rules for sets 3 & 4, she was reading well enough to read early readers from the library so we never read those 2 sets.

As far as sight words - as long as there are not so many that they take up most of the book, it shouldn't be detrimental. Just think of her first OPG sight word "the"...well, she learned later what "th" said and that "e" at the end of short words says "E" later in the book but at the time, learning "the" as a sight word served the purpose of allowing her to read sentences.

Sight words in and of themselves are not evil - they just should not be the basis/focus of learning to read imo

Nora Gaydos has some nice readers that my DD liked. http://www.amazon.com/Now-Im-Reading-Animal-Antics/dp/1584764295/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Our library also carries a bunch of Elephant and Piggie books that my DD enjoys reading. Though they are longer than the Bob books.

http://www.amazon.com/Today-Will-Elephant-Piggie-Book/dp/1423102959/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266942998&sr=1-2