Menu

Do you supplement CLE LA or Abeka for writing ?

blessedmom3

I just wonder that if I use WWE or Writing Strands , it would be too long since both of these programs have some grammar as well and both CLE & Abeka are very comprehensive in grammar but they lack writing ... so anyone has a suggestion ? What is a good complement for CLE or Abeka , something that is ONLY writing , independently done ( preferably ) and short?

I just wonder that if I use WWE or Writing Strands , it would be too long since both of these programs have some grammar as well and both CLE & Abeka are very comprehensive in grammar but they lack writing ... so anyone has a suggestion ? What is a good complement for CLE or Abeka , something that is ONLY writing , independently done ( preferably ) and short?

WWE has grammar?:confused: I'm using it for the second year now & don't see it. It incorporates *some* elements of grammar learned *from another grammar program*, but it alone is absolutely not grammar. It is a writing program. If you point out grammatical elements in the sentences/passages used in WWE, as it guides you to, that pulls in grammar reinforcemnt.

WWE only takes about 15 - 20 min. (and that's when my dc dawdle). It's not alot to tag onto something else, esp. CLE. When I used it w/ Abeka I let my sons skip any creative writing in Abeka that was just for the sake of creative writing, since we have WWE for our writing.

I've never seen/used WS, so maybe someone else can chime in about how much grammar is in that? :bigear:

Write Shop isn't a grammar program either, it's a stand-alone writing program. We're just getting going with it, so I can't go into too much detail on it yet, though. It's almost overwhelming right at first, to figure it out, but it quickly settled in for us, and we're enjoying it! I love the fairly scripted teacher book, as I never learned writing well at all, so I NEED that! I'm impressed with it so far, and plan to do WS 2 (2nd year) when we finish this one!

I've used CLE LA the last two years. I LOVE it. Mostly that it is strong and my daughter loves to do it independently. There is some writing, but not much. I'm planning on using writing strands with it next year. I considered iew, but I decided to hold off on that for a year (for cost reasons).

I'm using WWE to supplement our grammar; we combine FLL and Abeka for our grammar. WWE does not teach grammar--like any good writing program, it reinforces good grammar concepts, but it does not have focused grammar lessons. I find the WWE/Abeka combo works well. We just use the Abeka Language (grammar) workbooks, not the whole Letters and Sounds and Readers package. WWE takes only a short time each day and is not overwhelming at all; I find it much better than Abeka's (lack of) writing instruction.

We're in CLE LA 400 level this year for 4th grade and I supplemented with Just Write. I thought it looked really fun, interesting, engaging, etc without seeming like *groan* "more work". My dd has LOVED it and I think we are ready to move on to something meatier in 5th grade (IEW). I think it compliments CLE nicely.

We're in CLE LA 400 level this year for 4th grade and I supplemented with Just Write. I thought it looked really fun, interesting, engaging, etc without seeming like *groan* "more work". My dd has LOVED it and I think we are ready to move on to something meatier in 5th grade (IEW). I think it compliments CLE nicely.

I am contemplating CLE for our 9yo's studies. Would you mind sharing what level of Just Write you used?