Menu

Is it possible to use MFW Adventures without being a slave to the library

snickelfritz

I like the looks of MFW. I like that it schedules in the extras. We have a wonderful library system.

BUT, from past experience, I can't keep up a dependence on the library week-in and week-out. After a month or so, I get burned out of all of the reserving and keeping up with different due dates and we return everything and take a hiatus from the library. But, I need school to be able to go on.

Does anyone else make it work without the library? Or with limited dependence on the library?

Some weeks I get to the library and some weeks I don't and I haven't ever had too much of a problem. However, at the beginning of the year I go through the book basket list and write down all the asterisked books and just buy them. That way i have the best books for our library and just pull them out when needed. It's worked very well for us in the past 8 years!

Some weeks I get to the library and some weeks I don't and I haven't ever had too much of a problem. However, at the beginning of the year I go through the book basket list and write down all the asterisked books and just buy them. That way i have the best books for our library and just pull them out when needed. It's worked very well for us in the past 8 years!

If I could buy, for example, 10 books that were sweeping enough to be used in multiple weeks....I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, I didn't know if you need books for science, and geography, AND history every week. On top of that, I need to keep books around for dd to read. I'm considering a HOD book package to cover dd's reading, some of which would be directly pertinent to Adventures and some of which would just be good books for her to read.

Adventures is fine as is. You don't have to use all the library books. I asked this question we were going to use it a few years ago and Maria assured me it's still a complete program.

Since the library issue is just about the last thing holding me back, this is good news.

If I could buy, for example, 10 books that were sweeping enough to be used in multiple weeks....I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, I didn't know if you need books for science, and geography, AND history every week. On top of that, I need to keep books around for dd to read. I'm considering a HOD book package to cover dd's reading, some of which would be directly pertinent to Adventures and some of which would just be good books for her to read.

Since the library issue is just about the last thing holding me back, this is good news.

If you don't use the library, you'll want to buy some extra books -- whether it is from HOD's list, or SL, or WP, or using the asterisks in the MFW list. You don't have to use the library. MFW was authored by people who homeschooled in Siberia and Moscow without a good English library.

For Science: you can use the links in the Internet Links Usborne book. That could work.

For most of the years I've used MFW, I was not a slave to the library. The library was my tool.

I went once every 3 weeks. in and out in minutes. used the online system to look up call numbers. Even holds... I knew every 3 weeks it was getting returned and new stuff coming in. All of those books in book basket -- enrichment.

This year, my 7th of using MFW (and doing CTG for the 2nd time), I am barely going to the library. We moved out of state. I'm still adjusting to my new normal. eh? library? eh.... once in a while. bought some books this year.

-crystal

If you feel that you do need more to make it complete you can buy a little at a time using Amazon. $25.00 gets you free shipping. I did this with MFW K & 1st. I picked from the TM and purchased in advance. I picked one book per week as extra. It was a bit expensive but if you purchase four books (one for each week) at a time it's not too bad because it's spread through out the year.

If money is not tight then purchasing a pack of read aloud from SL works.

But Adventures is complete without supplements. You can always use the Internet. We did that for flowers and such that we didn't know what the item looked like.

I'm finding out that less can sometimes mean better. Too much can be overwhelming. Having the extras is nice if you can fit them in at your convenience. That's what I do now. If it doesn't fit in at the scheduled time I'm okay. We can read it later. I'm an ex box-checker.

I'm using ADV right now. At the beginning of the year I was all ready to go to the library weekly. That lasted for about 2 months:lol: For the last few months here's what I've done. I look up the books at my library's website (does your library have a website). Any that are in my library, I write down on a sticky note. I haven't bothered with ILL lately because I'm behind on getting books, not ahead. I do this for whatever weeks I haven't done book basket and whatever week(s) are coming up. So I might not always be right on topic in the book basket but heck, I figure if the book basket is behind, it just brings the topic back around to fresh again;)

There have certainly been weeks that I haven't had any book basket books from the library. It hasn't affected the program at all.

By the way, dd is loving ADV.