Menu

CLP, CLE, and R&S

susankenny

Hello, I lurk here a lot but this is my first post. I hope you don't mind me jumping right in:D I am looking at next year and trying to figure out what to use for 3rd grade. I am considering Rod & Staff, Christian Liberty Press, and Christian Light Education. Currently, we have experience with R&S for English, Georaphy, and Math. We also have used CLP for Science and love their nature readers. I have no real experience with CLE, but continually read wonderful things about it. So, my question is, if you use any of the mentioned curricula - can you tell me what you use? For what subject and grade have you used it? Do you like it? Do you prefer one publisher over the other and why?

I am totally open to mixing and matching curriculum. I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Susan

Hello, I lurk here a lot but this is my first post. I hope you don't mind me jumping right in:D I am looking at next year and trying to figure out what to use for 3rd grade. I am considering Rod & Staff, Christian Liberty Press, and Christian Light Education. Currently, we have experience with R&S for English, Georaphy, and Math. We also have used CLP for Science and love their nature readers. I have no real experience with CLE, but continually read wonderful things about it. So, my question is, if you use any of the mentioned curricula - can you tell me what you use? For what subject and grade have you used it? Do you like it? Do you prefer one publisher over the other and why?

I am totally open to mixing and matching curriculum. I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

Susan

Hi Susan!

Welcome! What ages are your dc? You will find most here use the above mentioned for individual subjects, not their total curriculum. R&S is very popular for English (for good reason - a very sound program). I have no experience with their math, but it looks very good.

I have decided to use CLE for some subjects, as I'm having a hard time juggling this year. We'll be using LA, Math, Bible, and some Science. I don't have anything in hand yet, so I can't help you, but I'm been researching it and it looks very promising. For history I prefer a more living books approach, but I've heard good things about R&S and CLP.

I wish I could help you more, but if you search the boards you should be able to find lots of info about the curriculum you're interested in.

Good luck!

Lisa

Ds started using CLE right after Christmas. He is in 1st grade in LA and 2nd grade in Math. He will begin the "I Wonder" reading program in a few weeks. I was using 4 different programs to cover what the LA covers in one. That has been a huge blessing. My dd uses the 7th reading. I've been very impressed with it, which caused me to start researching the younger grades for my ds.

I know a lot of people like R&S, but I didn't want to go with R&S later because it was hardback textbooks requiring a lot of writing on paper. I prefer a consumable workbook for my ds. I think the math is that way later on as well. I would consider texts like that, but not until later elementary or middle school.

I was using CLP for spelling, but felt the lists were just too long for 1st grade. He wasn't retaining it, and there were no review lessons. I had to put those together myself.

I really like CLE and have been very impressed with everything we've used by them.

Hi Lisa,

My dc will be 9 next fall and in 3rd grade. Yes, I am not looking to use one complete curriculum. We always create our own by piecing things together. I would like to create a 3rd grade schedule using aspects of CLE, CLP, and R&S (but not solely limited to these 3 - as I incorporate living books as well and am totally open to other publishers and resources). I guess I would really love to see what people use for 3rd grade so I can weigh my options. I will try to search the boards here again regarding the specific curriculum mentioned. I have also looked at homeschoolreviews.com, but all of these curriculum get rave reviews, so it makes my decision more difficult. I hate figuring this part out (planning), as their are so many excellent choices. I thought by asking here first, it could help me weigh the pros and cons & compare and contrast.

Thank you!

Susan

Ds started using CLE right after Christmas. He is in 1st grade in LA and 2nd grade in Math. He will begin the "I Wonder" reading program in a few weeks. I was using 4 different programs to cover what the LA covers in one. That has been a huge blessing. My dd uses the 7th reading. I've been very impressed with it, which caused me to start researching the younger grades for my ds.

I know a lot of people like R&S, but I didn't want to go with R&S later because it was hardback textbooks requiring a lot of writing on paper. I prefer a consumable workbook for my ds. I think the math is that way later on as well. I would consider texts like that, but not until later elementary or middle school.

I was using CLP for spelling, but felt the lists were just too long for 1st grade. He wasn't retaining it, and there were no review lessons. I had to put those together myself.

I really like CLE and have been very impressed with everything we've used by them.

Thank you, Amy!

I also keep reading wonderful things about CLE. I have no experience with them, so I appreciate your feedback. I have used bits and pieces of R&S and CLP, and overall I'm very happy with what we've tried. I especially love CLP science and nature readers, but I have no idea if their other resources are as good.

Thanks again! :)

Susan

:iagree: We are using CLE LA and Reading. If we weren't so pleased with BJU Math I might be tempted to look into math as well. We also use Rod & Staff's Reading for our Bible time. Dd reads the Bible story and then we orally work through the "after you read" section in the workbook. We have enjoyed this part of our day. I, too, love the CLP Nature Readers.

Some of the reasons why I like CLE LA: it is thorough, user-friendly, has excellent review, and teaches my dd how to effectively prepare for quizzes. The CLE Reading uses very sweet character stories that dd really enjoys. The phonics instruction in her current level helps solidify spelling rules. The R&S reading in its entirety was a little burdensome to dd. Since we are only using it for the Bible portion of our day, we have modified it to fit our needs. I do have high regard for R&S, but I was not satisfied with the format of their English program.

We use CLE for math and love it!

We use R&S for Phonics (1st and 2nd grade), Reading (just 1st grade), and English (2nd grade so far but we are sticking with it for future grades!)

We have several of the CLP history books as well as the nature readers. We read Stories of the Pilgrims this year, and are working on American Pioneers & Patriots and Boys & Girls of Colonial Days. We have enjoyed them.

We use CLE for math, language arts (grammar/spelling only) and science for 1st, 6th and 7th grades. I didn't care for R & S, but I'm not sure I could express why. Just something about it didn't "click" for me. We've been really pleased with CLE. We're almost finished the 100 level math & LA, and are halfway through the 500 & 600 levels in math & LA.

I also love the CLP nature readers. When my dc were younger, we read them over & over again. Both my boys became nature "hunters."

My older ds used R&S math 3-6,8, English 3-7, and CLE reading 1-4 w/o lightunits; CLE reading 7 & 8 w/ lightunits. He used a bit of R&S science, history/geography and Bible/reading over the years.

My younger ds used R&S English 3-6, R&S math 1-4; CLE reading 1-3 w/o lightunits, 4-6 w/ lightunits; CLE math 5-6 and he's now using CLE LA & reading.

Both R&S and CLE are EXCELLENT curricula!

For 3rd grade, the main things my daughter will do are:

CLE Math

CLE LA or R&S English or FLL 3 (I can't decide!)

A Reason for Handwriting

WWE 3 or Writing Tales 1

Sonlight 4 (Bible, History, Science, Literature, Reading)

Critical Thinking Co.'s Reading Detective cd-rom

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa