Menu

FAFSA question 26--can anyone help??

Musicmom

We are in the throes of doing the FAFSA and we're confused as to which answer to choose on this question: "When you begin college in the 2010-2011 school year, what will be your high school completion status?"

There are 4 answers to choose from (I've summarized the meanings):

1. High School Diploma (means you have received or will receive a high school diploma before enrollment in college)

2. GED

3. Home Schooled (means you have completed home schooling at the secondary level regulated by your state)

4. None of the above

So... which do I choose--#1 or #3???? :confused: My son WILL receive a high school diploma, and yes, he is home schooled. I'm not sure what they mean by "regulated by your state". Our state (MN) only requires homeschoolers to notify their school district and to do yearly achievement testing. Other than that, they don't "regulate" it...

Which option did you choose? Anyone out there in MN who has gone through this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Virginia here, not Minnesota, but we chose to answer "home schooled".

When we first filed the FAFSA back in 2006, this question was worded differently. It just asked whether the student has received "a high school diploma or a GED". I'm guessing that what happened then is that particular wording caused some homeschool families to choose "neither"...probably messing up their chances of being eligible to receive financial aid. So a few years ago, the "home schooled" choice appeared on the forms. I don't think it matters terribly which one you pick, as long as you pick one - they're just trying to ascertain that your child has graduated and is eligible for federal aid.

~Kathy

I'm in Delaware. We are our own non-public school, with an official school number issued to us by our state's DOE and my son will have an official high school diploma issued by his school. That school is our homeschool. It will have the DOE School number on it just like his official transcript has.

I checked off homeschooled cause I figure the schools have all his stuff, they know he is homeschooled, and well, there are still folks who do not understand that a homeschooled parent can issue an official high school diploma. Unfortunately I could name quite a number of my local Delaware homeschoolers who fall into that category, but that is another story......

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

Virginia here, not Minnesota, but we chose to answer "home schooled".

When we first filed the FAFSA back in 2006, this question was worded differently. It just asked whether the student has received "a high school diploma or a GED". I'm guessing that what happened then is that particular wording caused some homeschool families to choose "neither"...probably messing up their chances of being eligible to receive financial aid. So a few years ago, the "home schooled" choice appeared on the forms. I don't think it matters terribly which one you pick, as long as you pick one - they're just trying to ascertain that your child has graduated and is eligible for federal aid.

~Kathy

Aha... Thanks, Kathy! That would explain a lot. Thank you Carole and Christina also for your input. I can see your reasoning. I think we'll go ahead and choose Home Schooled to be consistent with all our other materials and avoid any confusion (as Carole points out). Sure appreciate your help! :001_smile: