Menu

Learning Mathematics with the Abacus

stormy weather

This is the same as through nurtureminds.com

I think it's a good program if you want to use an abacus. I got the whole thing and have used it a couple of times. It teaches the children to "visualize the abacus". Which... I think is good. Good for mental math... perhaps not what I'd use for a whole curriculum... but good. :-)

used a soroban before? Dee-Dee has trouble with mental arithmetic, she may know the steps to get to the answer but she just can't seem to get to the answer without something concrete for her to to touch. I thought that a soroban might be good because it would be a physical connection to the math. I don't have any idea how to use one or I could just add it to her Singapore. I'm not a math person, I still don't get it even as an adult. I want to make sure she gets it even though I don't think it will ever be her strongest subject. That was longer than what I meant it to be. Anyway, any input would be helpful.

I do believe that she could use one. My husband sat down and spent 2 hrs going from the start of the book... to the end. It shows you how to hold your fingers so that you can use it correctly. I like the mental part where they are trying to "see" the answers. I think you should purchase the book if you have the $$$ although I don't think you need the abacus from them. I purchased the kit with 2 abacus' and then I purchased the exact same abacus from an import company. Just make sure that the beads on top have the same number... (1.. 0r 2 are the normal choices.)

I think that it goes nicely with Singapore which is what we're using... although we don't necessarily do a lesson a day. (My son is 6, too) I have an 11 year old who occupies most of my time right now. Imagine... 6th grade math.. all over again... ugh.... :-)

I do believe that she could use one. My husband sat down and spent 2 hrs going from the start of the book... to the end. It shows you how to hold your fingers so that you can use it correctly. I like the mental part where they are trying to "see" the answers. I think you should purchase the book if you have the $$$ although I don't think you need the abacus from them. I purchased the kit with 2 abacus' and then I purchased the exact same abacus from an import company. Just make sure that the beads on top have the same number... (1.. 0r 2 are the normal choices.)

I think that it goes nicely with Singapore which is what we're using... although we don't necessarily do a lesson a day. (My son is 6, too) I have an 11 year old who occupies most of my time right now. Imagine... 6th grade math.. all over again... ugh.... :-)

Where did you get your abacus/soroban? Online? I've tried to figure out how to use them by reading some instructions online but unfortunately I must have the same problem as Dee-Dee. I need to touch it.