Menu

Question for Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Users...

I use a plastic "snapware" type of container by Sterilite that has a vent popper so you don't have to burp it. I purchased them at Target in two different sizes. Here's a link. I like it because it is square and tall, and has a small footprint in the fridge.

If you like Artisan/5 try out Peter Reinhart's new book, "Artisan Breads Everyday"...it might be very similar, but I just love PR books. I checked it out from the library a few weeks ago, and was so impressed that I bought it immediately! Try the Struan if you can get a copy of the book (I have done it with 100% whole wheat, as well as a portion of bread flour, and either way it is great). It was also listed on NPR's 10 best cookbooks of 2009. I have his other books, as well...but they are much more labor intensive formulas...but AMAZING.

ETA I love your blog title :)

Edited by BikeBookBread

I have a large tupperware bowl (4.3L) that I use.When first preparing, I don't seal the lid, but lay it on top. As I use the dough, there is enough space inside that I do seal the lid.

I looked for the bowl, but they no longer sell it. I think I bought it in 2000 or 2001. The bowl is higher, so it fits nicely on the top shelf of the fridge.

I also would prefer not to use plastic, but haven't found a better alternative so far.

Hi. I have two plastic tupperware type tubs that I use. One I got from king arthur flour right after I got the book because the king arthur flour called it a dough bucket and I thought that it was different then a regular tub:banghead:. The other came in a set of five tubs from family dollar, much cheaper that way. :laugh:

I ordered a stainless steel food tub from a restaurant supply company. It's the type of thing you might see at a salad bar. The only drawback is that the matching lid has a hole for a spoon--we didn't realize when we bought it that it would be like this. We put duct tape over the hole. :tongue_smilie:

In retrospect I would rather have bought a rectangular tub instead of a round tub, but ours works well enough.

• 3 months later...

:blush5:you made me feel a little guilty, I have been holding on to a library copy for about 2 months now cause I haven't had money to buy it. We aren't in the same town but just in case there is someone here waiting, for you, when it is due I will return it....:)

I have been just using the kitchen aid mixer bowl with a plate on top until I find a rectangular container I like. Less mess this way anyway because I just mix the dough on the mixer and then keep it in the bowl.

Just started catching up on these threads so this may have been asked but I was wondering what you guys use for the transfer step?

:blush5:you made me feel a little guilty, I have been holding on to a library copy for about 2 months now cause I haven't had money to buy it. We aren't in the same town but just in case there is someone here waiting, for you, when it is due I will return it....:)

I wouldn't feel too guilty....at every library I've ever used, you wouldn't be able to renew it if someone had it on hold....so the fact that you're been able to keep renewing it means no one else in your town is interested, lol. I found that the "big city" library had dozens on holds on it, but the smaller towns around here had several copies on the shelves, so I just got it from the smaller library and have been renewing mine for several months too.....but it's on my birthday wish list, so maybe by July I can return it, lol.