Menu

Monday is my Mom's 60th b-day, I NEED ideas

No one else in my family EVER takes care of this stuff. I've been mulling this over for the last month and a half and nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

My dad's was last year and we had his brothers & sisters & children over. Not a big deal there aren't that many. HOWEVER, my mom comes from a family of TWELVE children. Not gonna happen. :tongue_smilie:

SO there's a show at the Blue Gate my folks would love to see in March, so we can get them tickets for dinner and show. BUT, what do we do for now? We've been soooo busy and I'm soooo tired. I don't really want to have to do much, :chillpill: but yet, I want to do something special. Ideas? :confused:Anyone? :001_huh:PLEASE? Do I need to beg?!!!:D

If you have digital photos on your computer, Shutterfly.com will make them into a soft or hard cover book. Basically like a scrapbook, but much, much easier. You can choose pre-set page layouts, add comments (from kids, memories, quotes, etc). A friend of mine showed me one she made for father's day and it was very nice.

They are reasonably priced, too. I think an 8"X8" hardcover book with dust cover is around $25. Maybe more if you have to rush shipping.

(All this is fresh in my mind because MY mom turns 70 on Sunday. I wish I'd known about the shutterfly books. I made her a small photo book with pictures of the family through the years and a current portrait of each of the kids. We also ordered an extra nice bouquet of flowers that came with a small bottle of perfume.)

What about going out to lunch with her and her girlfriends. Make it a girl lunch celebration.

You could invite her to dinner at your home with just your family. Make it a special celebration from your family to her.

Could you do a potluck with her extended family? You could plan it for later in Feb. Maybe you could find a hall to rent or see if one of her siblings with a larger home would host.

For my MIL 70th birthday we had a tea party with her best friends. It took about a month to plan, but everyone loved it. Maybe you could coordinate the event and assign each of your siblings a task.

Does she like botanical gardens or art museums? Maybe you could go on an outing with your family and her and treat her to lunch.

I know whatever you do will be much appreciated.

If you have the technology available to you, either at home or through the local copy store or even Walmart, scan a bunch of family photos and then have them put onto a DVD. My MIL loved this for Christmas, because now she can watch them on her television, which is much better for her failing eyesight. It also allows multiple people to easily view them at the same time so they can discuss, giggle, point and reminisce together.

Another thing we did for MIL for her birthday, which is a week after Christmas, was to cook several of her favorite meals that she no longer makes since she is alone and can't eat it all, even if she did still have the stamina to cook it. So I make large kettles of her favorite soups (lentil, potato, vegetable beef) and other favorites such as meatloaf and green beans or salmon patties and rice and divide them into the individual sized plastic freezer ware containers, marked with the contents. That way she has several home cooked meals of her favorite foods at her convenience. All she has to do is add a premixed salad and perhaps a roll and she is a happy camper! We have discovered that even regular birthday cake can be cut into individual portions and freezes quite well. This is not a fancy gift, but one that "keeps on giving" and reminds her that we are thinking of her every time she uses it. She also washes and returns the containers with a big smile and broader hint that she would love a repeat for next year.