Menu

Spelling after AAS...

patchfire

(Every time I think about this question, I hear Sarah Michelle Gellar singing in my head, "Where do we go from here?")

Dd is finishing AAS Level 5 this week. Level 6 isn't yet released, and as I understand it, Level 6 will be the last in the series. Dd also has some issues with spelling (& handwriting), and while we're pursuing vision therapy, I do think that spelling will continue to be a struggle for her long-term. My goal is to give her enough tools and then stop at a given time, rather than striving forward and frustrating her for years and years.

Because she gets extremely frustrated with regard to spelling, it's important to me not to introduce her to a curriculum that will make her feel like she's merely reviewing or rehashing what AAS has taught - even though it likely will be, presentation will be important. I've looked at the online samples of Megawords but am not yet convinced that it will help her.

The other alternative to a curriculum would be to concentrate on spelling vocabulary words correctly and being diligent about correcting her spelling in all her written work, using misspelled words from the previous week to create the current week's list.

Help!

Edited by patchfire

My plan is Spelling Power. We actually tried SP before AAS, but he just didn't know the rules well enough to be successful with that program. Now that he knows the rules, SP will be perfect because it will function as a review of the rules yet introduce new and challenging words. And -- a bonus in his eyes -- he only has to practice the words he misses.

Do you want another program, or do you want something to tide you over until Level 6 is out?

Level 6 is tentatively due out around April of 2010. I would consider doing the following:

1) Read, read, read.

2) Analyze any spelling words or misspelled words that occur in your student’s writing according to the methods presented in AAS.

3) Work on vocabulary development.

4) If your daughter has any other patterns that need to review, you could do that during this time as well.

Here's an article explaining what I do with misspelled words in my kids' writing.

HTH some, Merry :-)

(Every time I think about this question, I hear Sarah Michelle Gellar singing in my head, "Where do we go from here?")/QUOTE]

Thanks. :glare: Now I can't get that song out my head and have the strongest urge to watch that whole episode again. :tongue_smilie:

As far as after AAS, my plan is to go to Megawords, work through it, then call it good.

Thanks to all of you. :)

Do you want another program, or do you want something to tide you over until Level 6 is out?

Yes. ;)

A lot of dd's issues resemble dyslexia except that she only has issues with spelling - no issues whatsoever with reading. AAS has helped tremendously but she still has some reversals (today's? 'policital' vs. 'political') and the occasional missed vowel. We'll definitely keep reviewing between now and AAS Level 6, but part of me is leaning towards doing #2 on Merry's list after that.

Thanks to all of you. :)

Yes. ;)

A lot of dd's issues resemble dyslexia except that she only has issues with spelling - no issues whatsoever with reading. AAS has helped tremendously but she still has some reversals (today's? 'policital' vs. 'political') and the occasional missed vowel. We'll definitely keep reviewing between now and AAS Level 6, but part of me is leaning towards doing #2 on Merry's list after that.

One thing I have my kids do when that happens is to sound out the word. I don't tell them what's wrong, I see if they can find it on their own. (If it's in a sentence, I only tell them how many errors to look for--not what the errors are. This way they are learning to evaluate and take responsibility for editing their work.) "Policital" would be "po-lis-it-al" for example. Usually when they try to sound it out, they can self-edit without me telling them what's wrong. Same thing with a missed vowel.

Merry :-)

This spelling notebook might be helpful for doing that, it has categories for things using your own misspelled words, nice and easy if you don't want to make your own:

http://www.christianbook.com/tricks-of-the-trade/gayle-graham/1880892243/pd/62336?item_code=WW&netp_id=215895&event=ESRCN&view=details

Spelling Plus might also be good, it focuses on the most common words and the most frequently misspelled words, and lets you start where need to, the lists are arranged well in order of difficulty.