Menu

How often do you use your Dolciani Solution Keys?

For those of you who own the solution keys to the Dolciani texts, how often do you refer to them? Frequently, sometimes, or never? Are the teacher text books with the answers enough?

I have had success in obtaining two levels of the Dolciani solution keys, but am having a beast of a time finding the other two levels. The ones that I do have are in pristine condition and appear brand new (as new as a 1965 book can be.) This lends me to think that teachers never needed the solution key. If I were Jane in NC, I would have a blast solving the problems on my own and double checking the solution key to make sure the authors and editors got it right. But, alas, my algebraic skills are in the trenches and I feel that I MUST have the solutions! Or do I?:confused:

I'm now at a crossroads of deciding to call off my hunt for the remaining solution keys, telling myself that I can figure out the equation if it is the last thing that I do. Or, persevering until the end when the other two are located, purchased, shipped and in my hands.

Thank you in advance!!

I use Dolciani without the TM and only consult the answers in the back of the book when I'm in a rush to grade DS work.

Couple of suggestions:

A friend with very rusty Algebra skills has my phone number and calls me quite often. She works all the problems prior to her son working the problems. She's bound and determined to improve her Algebra skills and it is paying off. ) Two years ago she had pre-algrebra questions, last year it was Alg 1 questions, and this year they are working through Algebra 2 material. My phone rings less frequently then it used to because her skills have improved. Her daughter starts pre-algrebra next year and I'll be surprised if she needs to call on me at all. Might there be a math-savy friend you can call when a problem has you stumped?

There is also this board. Come here to ask a question and I'm sure you will have several of us math-loving moms coming to your aid.

Carole

:bigear:

And where are you finding these old keys? I have not come across one yet. And I'm stalled out at finding a TM for geometry and algebra 1. (early 1960s, too)

Amazon. I have also purchased from Abe books (terrible results).

Currently on Amazon, there is a 1973 Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Solution Key that is by Sorgenfrey, Wooten and Dolciani, I think they are asking $103 - absolutely ridiculous. However, it is for the NEW EDITION, not the revised edition from the early '70's or the original 1960's. They misspelled solution and have a misplaced 'j' in the word.

Edited by Mary in NJ

I have thought about taking myself through Algebra I, before trying to muddle through it with my daughter. I'm going to step up to the plate and start working through the first year of Algebra. I'll try to stay a few steps ahead of her.

My husband is a mathy kinda guy, but I hate to trouble him after a long days work. Not to mention, he is already teaching them Latin, Bible, PE and sometimes Physics. That leaves me with Math, English, History, sometimes Physics and other dribble that I decide to add into our day.

Thanks for the push to jump into the water!

I use Dolciani without the TM and only consult the answers in the back of the book when I'm in a rush to grade DS work.

Couple of suggestions:

A friend with very rusty Algebra skills has my phone number and calls me quite often. She works all the problems prior to her son working the problems. She's bound and determined to improve her Algebra skills and it is paying off. ) Two years ago she had pre-algrebra questions, last year it was Alg 1 questions, and this year they are working through Algebra 2 material. My phone rings less frequently then it used to because her skills have improved. Her daughter starts pre-algrebra next year and I'll be surprised if she needs to call on me at all. Might there be a math-savy friend you can call when a problem has you stumped?

There is also this board. Come here to ask a question and I'm sure you will have several of us math-loving moms coming to your aid.

Carole

Amazon. I have also purchased from Abe books (terrible results).

Currently on Amazon, there is a 1973 Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Solution Key that is by Sorgenfrey, Wooten and Dolciani, I think they are asking $103 - absolutely ridiculous. However, it is for the NEW EDITION, not the revised edition from the early '70's or the original 1960's. They misspelled solution and have a misplaced 'j' in the word.

I bought the solution key for the 1965 Structure & Method 1 & used it when grading & when helping dd (since she hates my way of doing Algebra.)

I would never spend $103 for one though!

have answers in the back, or if I didn't have the teacher's manual.

As it is, we're actually using a newer version (1977) for Alg and Trig. I have the teacher's book so we check answers with that. Then when we get to problems where the answers are not even in the teacher's book (happens sometimes with level C problems), then I look for a similar problem in the 1963 book and find the solution in the 63 solution guide.

I forget how we got started on the 77 book (I think I didn't have the 63 at first), but it is not that much different than the 63. Some explanations are better in the 63 and some better in the 77...But I've never even seen a solution book for the 77 book.

It's true you could ask people here. It always seems we need the answer in a hurry and I hate to get on the internet in the AM when we do math and most people are asleep (on this board) in our AM anyway.:001_smile:

For Algebra I, I don't know what I'll do since I don't have the teachers or the solution guide (for dd). I'll have to look at the Wiki possibility....But we still have more than a year til she needs it...

I agree 103 is too much. I paid $10 but it is falling apart and that was months ago already.

I don't really have time to solve all the problems myself all the time right when he needs them to be corrected.

You can also check out the Khan Academy here on youtube. My daughter actually watches a few of his lectures to go deeper into her biology textbook. His explanations are pretty good. And they're free.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

He has established a non profit organization that provides youtube lectures on subjects from Singapore 3a math to calculus in college. And he has a masters in mathematics from Harvard. His lectures are pretty good.