Menu

Key to series.. consecutive or simultanious (sp?)

christine in al

Because we were using them as a supplement/follow-up/review after Life of Fred, dd did all of Key to Fractions (finishing as she was doing Life of Fred Decimals & Percents), then all of Key to Decimals, and is currently working through all of Key to Percents. She also did Key to Measurement alongside Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals (haven't gotten to Key to Metric Measurement yet!).

My dd is doing the books simultaneously. She had already been introduced to fractions, decimals, and percents, but kept forgetting the tricks associated with them. She would forget when you had to find common denominators, when to flip the fraction, when to line up the decimals, how to convert between fraction/decimal/perent, ...

My dd's schedule for working through the books:

Monday - 5 minutes Fractions, 25 minutes Percents

Tuesday - 5 minutes Decimals, 25 minutes Algebra

Wednesday - 5 minutes Percents, 25 minutes Fractions

Thursday - 5 minutes Algebra, 25 minutes Decimals

Friday - 5 minutes Decimals, 25 minutes Fractions

She was doing just Fractions and Decimals along with Singapore 5B, but Singapore got to be too much because she kept forgetting how to do fractions/decimals/percents. I dropped Singapore and started her on a schedule working in a different series each day. She's currently in book 1 of Percents and Algebra, book 2 of Decimals, and book 3 of Fractions.

If my dd hadn't already been introduced to these topics, I would do Fractions book 1 first. Then I would do Fractions book 2 with Decimals book 1, probably 3x/week for Fractions and 2x/week for Decimals. I would add in Percents book 1 after finishing Decimals book 1, probably 2x/week each for Fractions and Decimals and 1x/week for Percents.

My dd's schedule for working through the books:

Monday - 5 minutes Fractions, 25 minutes Percents

Tuesday - 5 minutes Decimals, 25 minutes Algebra

Wednesday - 5 minutes Percents, 25 minutes Fractions

Thursday - 5 minutes Algebra, 25 minutes Decimals

Friday - 5 minutes Decimals, 25 minutes Fractions

Angie, thanks for posting this, as I had seen your schedule in another thread but lost it. I have been thinking about it quite a bit, and am happy to have it in front of me again!

Do you do the 30 minutes in one chunk (with the 5 minute section as a warm-up) or do you do the books at separate times? Do you do any other math during the day? My aspie has retention issues, and you have inspired me to add and rearrange. I just haven't nailed down how to do that yet! :). Thanks!

It depends on your child. My daughter got really, really bored with doing fractions over and over again, so we mixed the books up. On the other hand, if you have a child who wants to master one topic and then move on to the next thing, you could do all the books in a row.

We are almost done with Fractions book 2 and I just picked up several of the other titles. We are also dropping Singapore at this point and I am planning to use these to plug any holes and probably transitioning into Saxon 7/6 in the summer/fall. I have fractions, percents, decimals, English measurement (since metric is much easier), geometry.

I like the idea of the mixing of the topics. Where would folks suggest Key to Geometry fits into the mix? We're in 4th (started these after having difficulties with Singapore PM Standards 4A doing fractions), so I don't think we're ready to start the algebra book series yet.

This is a very timely thread for us, so thanks!:001_smile:

Key to Geometry is kind of an oddball set of workbooks. They aren't high school geometry. They start off pretty easily, but get hard quickly. It's mostly a construction program. I haven't used it with any of my kids, but I did look through it several years ago.

The first algebra book is just negative numbers. It teaches what they are and how to do all 4 operations with them. Well, I assume it teaches how to do division with them. We just got to the multiplication section recently.

And Angie, I was hoping you would reply because I had remembered yoru rotating schedule of 5 minutes./ 30 minutes. I'll use the note of Fractions 1, then Fractions 2 WITH Decimals... etc.

Thanks everybody. Knowing that others are moving into Key to series transistion between Singapore etc. is helpful.

~christine in al

The 5 minute math is usually done around 10am. The 25 minute math is usually around 1:30.

My dd doesn't like math. She's okay with doing 5 minutes of math in the morning because it's a short enough time that it's over with quickly. She usually saves the long math time for her last thing.

Thanks!