Menu

What curriculum do you recommend for US History?

Well, if your dd is mostly a "just the facts" kind of gal, look into Notgrass Exploring America. It's textbook style but has a fantastic extra book full of source readings that make it, IMHO, rich. It's easy to skip the lit portion and even the Bible portion if you need/want to. It's definitely from a Christian perspective, if you're looking for that. PM me if you'd like any more thoughts. HTH!

Well, if your dd is mostly a "just the facts" kind of gal, look into Notgrass Exploring America. It's textbook style but has a fantastic extra book full of source readings that make it, IMHO, rich. It's easy to skip the lit portion and even the Bible portion if you need/want to. It's definitely from a Christian perspective, if you're looking for that.

I would echo that. My ds, now in college, did it as a senior. Not a lover of history, just wanted the facts. We did the review questions together so were able to talk about what he learned which kept us connected. He was quite happy with the curriculum. Worked great!

Yolanda

We are using the Teaching Co. lectures titled History of the United States, 2nd edition.

My ds is also reading America: A Narrative History (recommended in the lecture series). He is reading the brief edition (still over 1000 pages). I have the TM, but it is for the not brief edition so I can't use the tests and questions as is. There is a web-site that goes with the brief edition that has quizzes and study aids, etc. I have ds do these and he answers the questions in the book that came with the lectures. We discuss the lectures and the book and he does some other random history writing.

I want to add map work, but we are behind on that.

I don't know how this compares to other options, but it is working for us.