Menu

here's another Singapore question

ProudGrandma

Thanks ladies for being patient with my constant flow of Singapore questions and for giving me awesome answers.

On another thread I was informed that there were different placement tests for the US and the Standard books...I was using the US tests, but wanting consider the Standard books instead. So I retested my kids today...my 5 year old who is about 2/3 of the way through the Saxon 1 book didn't do so well with the 1A test of Singapore. And there isn't a test for the Kinder level...so I am trying to decide whether to start him at level 1A or take him back to the B book of the Kinder level. The sample pages of the Kinder level look pretty easy...but there might be some skills or at least some terms that might not be familiar to him...but I didn't want to buy the whole kit (text, workbook and HIG) if we will fly through it in 2 weeks...can anybody here guide me as to what to do next? I am consdiering buying only the workbook of the Kinder level...but I don't know if that is smart or not.

Kathy

The tests are exit tests which means if ds had passed it he'd be ready for 1B. He will learn the concepts on the test in 1A. Still, Singapore PM moves pretty fast through concepts so I don't know where that leaves your ds. You could always start in 1A and then use the EP books for more review.

Seriously 1A or 1B because they're pretty simple. Personally, if he's been doing math, I would get the TG for 1A and B the part you use to teach the child for that level... but probably not extra..... I do get the whole enchilada after that.. pretty much. So, I teach and do with him.. and then have him do more by himself. BUT, the level 1 is pretty easy:-)

From your header, I have no idea where you live... but we have at least one place we can go and purchase the books.... and look at them. (Exodusbooks.com)

:-)

If he didn't pass the 1a I would say you want to start him with 1a - make sense? If you think he needs more review I was not impressed with the Earlybird books. I really like Essential Math which is meant to go before the Primary series but is much better in my opinion. I think the B book looks quite challenging.

I'd start with 1A as well; even if you move through it quickly, he'll get a good foundation in doing math the 'singapore way.'

And thanks for the EM link - B book looks EXACTLY what I need for my DS who has finished EB (and MUS Primer, and A Beka K math, all last semester) but isn't quite ready for 1A. :D

are you guys all tired of my singapore questions?

No, that's what we're here for! How can one make an informed decision without all of the information? :D:D

I would start in 1A and go as slowly as needed. With 1A I usually skip around in the book anyway. I'll work slowly through number bonds while having dc take "breaks" working through shapes and the easier topics.

FWIW, the US Ed and Standards Ed for 1A/B are nearly identical so even if you choose to go into STE at 2A you won't have missed anything by using US Ed of level 1.

No, that's what we're here for! How can one make an informed decision without all of the information? :D:D

thanks!! that makes me feel better. I have so appreciated ALL of the advice and opinions shared...they have been VERY helpful. I have made enough costly mistakes, I am so trying NOT to do that this time.

I would start in 1A and go as slowly as needed. With 1A I usually skip around in the book anyway. I'll work slowly through number bonds while having dc take "breaks" working through shapes and the easier topics.

FWIW, the US Ed and Standards Ed for 1A/B are nearly identical so even if you choose to go into STE at 2A you won't have missed anything by using US Ed of level 1.

So it sounds like the majority of you guys feel that going into 1A would be just fine...so I guess that is what I will do. Thanks.

We did EB B early this year before starting 1A and if I had it to do over, I would have skipped EB B and gotten the extra practice book to drag out 1A over a longer period of time. The EB book did cover some usual information such as calendars (days/months) and time, but otherwise, I thought it was pretty simplistic.