Menu

Laser printer/photocopier

I would really like to save for a new laser (bw only is fine, although color would be nice) printer, however I'd like one with a good scanner/photocopier on top. It has to be fairly quick as we have one now (not laser though) and it's so slow I hate to photocopy. After just spending $100 at Staples on photocopies, I figure we'd be good to get a new printer. Does anyone have one they really like? There's so much out there to weed through I'd love to have some personal recommendations! I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg... just an arm! ;)

We bought one about 4-5 years ago. it's a Brother all in one. black/white

only. We have been very happy with it. Compared to an inkjet anything is faster but I know there are faster models out there. I actually find the warm up time to be the worst part but even that is only a few seconds (I'm just impatient). The model we have isn't made anymore but it was around $250 but that was for the network version, the single computer version was about $200. I know the prices have dropped since then but I have had no reason to follow them. In all that time I think we have used 2 cartridges. They cost about $60 but even when my husband was in school and printed paper by the ream, we still got over a year out of one of them. Definitely more economic then making copies elsewhere. The only thing i wish it did was duplex printing. I don't need to do that very often but when I do, I find it a pain because I can never remember how to place the paper in the tray and invariable put it wrong a few times and have to redo the sheets.

Brother HL 5250 DN (duplex) rocks.

I bought it mid 2008. It was pretty cheap - $200 incl shipping from buy.com and it was new.

It's still working but I've changed the ink (refilled ink - not OEM). The ink is pretty cheap too if you are not after the OEM - it's $25 from inkjetsuperstore (online) and it's supposed to print may be around 7000 pages ?

I use this quite a lot since some of our curricula are ebooks (math mammoth, 1st step books recommended by ambleside and old readers). So it's one good homeschool investment for us.

PS: this is the printer recommended in a yahoogroup whose members use mostly public domain books (i.e. Old Fashioned Educator).

Edited by mom2moon2

This is the one we have and love:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=brother+mfc-7420&oe=UTF-8&ved=0CCcQrQQwAg&cid=5446307271900710011&sa=title#p

We actually got ours for $100 on Black Friday.

It only does black and white copies but I love how fast it is and how many copies I can make on one toner cartridge. With this printer I know longer yell at my kids every time they hit the print button! :)