Menu

How do you print your MEP?

Halcyon

I printed 1 part (so the first part of 2a) of the workbook at first, then later printed all of 2a double-sided. The teacher's lessons I printed 2 per side, double-sided (so 4 pages on each sheet of paper - I hope that makes sense!). I have a B&W laserjet, so printing is cheap. I might take in to Staples and have it bound though (under $3).

I did a mass printing at home and printed everything out. I think in the future, I will send the files to a copy center and have it printed out. It ends up being cheaper per page than it costs to print it out on my home printer.

I downloaded all of the files for the year and took it to a copy centre and they printed it double sided then bound it. I did the same with the TM. It was a fraction of the cost of the paper and ink if i had printed on my home computer which is inkjet and doesn't print duplex.

This sounds great. But I have to ask a probably-dumb question. In what format do you take the files to a copy center? You just burn them to a CD?

This sounds great. But I have to ask a probably-dumb question. In what format do you take the files to a copy center? You just burn them to a CD?

I just go to their website, upload the files I want printed and submit any special instructions, click send and pick up my printed and bound files the next day. You can just burn them to cd and hand carry to them if you want though, they can do it that way too. ;)

I print the student booklet single sided, and the teachers book I print double sided and four pages to a side. I print one file at a time (usually 20-30 pages for the student book). However, we have a laser printer, so printing costs are not substantial.

Just a kind of heads up about printing the practice book pages...

Make sure you set the page scaling to "NONE" instead of "Fit or Shrink to Printable Area". This will make a difference when you are having to measure some of the problems with measurements in centimeters. I learned that the hard way when our ruler didn't match up with lengths of lines to be measured. In other words, the markings on the ruler will not match up perfectly in centimeters for the lines you are measuring if not printed on "None" for page scaling. Hope I'm making sense....first cup of coffee...

Editing to add---

I bought a case of paper back in Sept. at Walmart when it was $2.50/ream. I also look around at any discount store having clearance sales for paper and ink cartridges. I refill my own cartridges, and have never had a problem doing so. It's not messy if you take your time, and it's worth the savings. Big Lots frequently sells refill kits for about $8, and I make sure to buy several whenever they have a 20% off coupon deal going. Having plenty of cheap supplies on hand makes using any kind of free printable program such as MEP or vintage texts from google books a true deal. I generally print up half of the year's work (practice book sheets only) at a time and keep the sheets in a manila folder. I have not spiral bound anything, as we like to just use the worksheet on a clipboard. I print off copymasters on an as-needed basis. Another thing I might mention is that several of the copymasters go with the teacher-directed part of the lessons, so be aware that sometimes there are sheets you can print for those. I used to print the lesson plan book pages, but now I just read them from the computer screen.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie
more thoughts on post

I print the pages as needed. So far, that has meant printing five or so workbook pages at a time; I generally keep my laptop handy while we're doing lessons so I can refer to the lesson plans on the computer. I have a laser printer with a low cost-per-page, so it wouldn't save me money to print at a copy shop.

I give my daughter only the page with the current exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

So I gather no one else has had any "technical difficulties" with this? I've tried sending the files to Kinko's, but I keep getting a message saying "sorry, we can't create manuals out of this file". Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

ETA: Got it to work on Staples' website.

Edited by GretaLynne