Menu

SAT or ACT in your area?

I was teaching z-scores in Stats this morning and, as per our book, was using SAT/ACT comparisons to do it.

Absolutely none of the juniors and seniors (all college-bound) I had in 2 classes had any idea what the ACT was or how it is scored - our school so heavily favors the SAT. When I had my own son take the ACT I found that it is only offered in one Catholic High School in the next town over - otherwise I have to drive an hour away to find it, so, it's not just our school, but our area.

Is this common (meaning to favor one or the other to such an extent)? Or is it another deficit in our local education for ps kids? Where I grew up (many moons ago, but still rural), we were encouraged to take both if headed to a higher level college. I had my oldest take both - and he did better on the ACT. Those are the only two experiences I have (mine + local), so fill me in. I did better on the ACT too.

I think more people here do the SAT but my dd will be doing only the ACT. She scores so much better on that one. FOr some reason, the SAT/PSAT is the only test that she doesn't do that well on. SHe scores really well on both IOWA and Stanford and she has been scoring quite well on the practice tests of the ACT (34 in reading:)). Since there is no downside to doing just that one and actually plenty of reasons to do it (a number of schools say SAT plus 2 SAT II or ACT).

I think more people here do the SAT but my dd will be doing only the ACT. She scores so much better on that one. FOr some reason, the SAT/PSAT is the only test that she doesn't do that well on. SHe scores really well on both IOWA and Stanford and she has been scoring quite well on the practice tests of the ACT (34 in reading:)). Since there is no downside to doing just that one and actually plenty of reasons to do it (a number of schools say SAT plus 2 SAT II or ACT).

My guess as to why she does better on the ACT is that it's more like the Iowa or Stanford in that it tests knowledge, not "how you learn" like the SAT does. As good thing (IMO) about the ACT is that the writing portion isn't figured into the composite score.

That's part of what really surprises me. We all know there are differences and that some students do better with each. So why, in any guidance counselor's or school's line of thinking, is it better to only offer and focus so much on just one (either one)?

Since my rural, small, high school offered both way back in the dinosaur days, it just seems "wrong" to me to only support one in our "enlightened thinking" days.

But then again, I choose to homeschool due to many things I feel are "wrong."

K- FL said: My guess as to why she does better on the ACT is that it's more like the Iowa or Stanford in that it tests knowledge, not "how you learn" like the SAT does

Yes, I am sure that is it. She is my child with severe adhd and while not an Aspie, a little more along that line where I believe both Autism in its many forms and ADHD and some others lie. Or maybe I should say a bit closer in that sphere since I don't think these things are linear. What is particularly amazing to me is how much better she is doing at reading on the ACT. While I think she got a 60 or 61 in PSAT, she has been scoring in the 99% range on the ACT. I think it is a much better measure because she is a child who enjoys reading Shakespeare and Milton.

the high schools nearby (in Ohio) show the averages for performance on the ACT to show how well they stack up against neighboring schools. We can find the SAT, but it's not nearly as convenient. I haven't had the girls try the SAT yet, but plan to at least have them do a practice test to see if they do much better on one or the other. The 2 oldest are taking the ACT on Sat. :tongue_smilie:

-Jen

Here in New England, the SAT rules. Few, if any, take the ACT and you have to travel pretty far to find a school that administers it.

It was just the opposite when I was in HS in Tennessee (late 1970's) We saw the SAT as an Ivy-No.Eastern-prep school kind of test. :D It probably was only given at the private $$$ schools "across town."