Menu

History for next year?

Stacey in NY

Next year I will have 4th & 6th graders, both boys. My older loves History, but hates writing, and we have been going slow with the writing. I have looked at a few logic stage programs, HO MOH I am afraid the work will overwhelm him. We did all the grammar stage SOTW, and he loved them. I don't want to kill this subject for him, which I know will happen if he get overwhelmed with too difficult a work load. Any suggestions?

Rather than using a program, how about choosing a spine and then having him write a short narration or summary of each chapter? A couple spines to choose from would be A Little History of the World (Grombrich) or The Stroy of Mankind (Van Loon)

You could do it the WTM way: Do a simple outline from Kingfisher or Osborne, write a summary of the outline, and keep a time line. Use the audio version of SOTW for fun listening or read it aloud again to both dss.

If you want to keep history fun without overwhelming, a "program" may not be the way to go.

Are you starting over with Ancients? If you are a Christian, MOH might be just the ticket for you. Pair it with Kingfisher. Once a week, have him write a short narration on one of the week's readings from MOH(just narrate orally the other day/days), and have him do a main-idea outline from Kingfisher on one topic that fits what you have read (there won't be some, some weeks). It's just one sentence from each paragraph (see WTM for details) and quite simple.

I do not find MOH overwhelming at all, really--esp Ancients. The way to get better at writing is to write. I feel strongly that we do our kids a disservice if everything is made comfortable and easy for them--stretching without breaking is the key, iykwim.