Menu

No school again tomorrow.

My kids had a snow day on Friday and have another one tomorrow. They are building an igloo in the backyard using five gallon paint buckets. Look more like a sand castle but what the heck. Anyhow, it amazes me what constitutes a snow day down south. We have maybe 3" of snow. I have lived in Green Bay and Buffalo where we had three feet of snow and school was still in session. :tongue_smilie:

They've cancelled school here outside of Charlotte because the inch we received will refreeze making it unsafe to drive tomorrow. Coming from NH, I'm amazed. Yet, I can understand it because they truly do not have the equipment to handle frozen roads. As I was driving through my neighborhood today when it was all slushy and melting, I kept thinking, "One pass with a plow, and this would be all clear." However, they don't have the trucks to go to every neighborhood as they have trouble maintaining the main roads. I'm sure the school kids are happy though!

They've cancelled school here outside of Charlotte because the inch we received will refreeze making it unsafe to drive tomorrow. Coming from NH, I'm amazed. Yet, I can understand it because they truly do not have the equipment to handle frozen roads. As I was driving through my neighborhood today when it was all slushy and melting, I kept thinking, "One pass with a plow, and this would be all clear." However, they don't have the trucks to go to every neighborhood as they have trouble maintaining the main roads. I'm sure the school kids are happy though!

Yep, that's the problem. No plows, no salt trucks and inexperienced drivers.

My kids had a snow day on Friday and have another one tomorrow. They are building an igloo in the backyard using five gallon paint buckets. Look more like a sand castle but what the heck. Anyhow, it amazes me what constitutes a snow day down south. We have maybe 3" of snow. I have lived in Green Bay and Buffalo where we had three feet of snow and school was still in session. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I grew up near Milwaukee and I remember standing out there freezing my bum off hoping the school bus could see me next to the snow mound that was almost as tall left from the plow.

The rule was that if the Superintendent could get to the school then he expected everyone else could. Well this was back in the late 80s early 90s and he owned an old Army Hummer that could make it through anything. I mean it had a snorkle so it could go through deep water and everything. Not many snow days for us.